• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

Is it typical to not receive any email alerts for my saved searches for a few days? I have always received about 20 emails (usually around 5:00 am EST), but haven't received any for close to a week now.

Hi folks.  I know there's been a bunch of pros and cons with GSP and discussion about it.  I just wanted to provide some info and guidance for anyone who uses GSP or thinking of using it for the first time based on a case I just encountered.  Seller was using GSP for the first time.  The comic arrived damaged in the mail due to it being shipped in a flimsy envelope with minimal cardboard protection not suitable for shipping internationally.  After contacting the seller it became evident that he hadn't realized the item was destined for another country.  The reason is that the shipping address he sent it to was another domestic city (GSP location) so he thought I was just another local buyer.  He stated that had he known it was destined for the US overseas he would have packed it far more securely for shipping.  Apparently he never saw the final destination.  He also was unaware his listing was using GSP.  I explained that ebay sets that as the default in your account settings and when creating or renewing listings you often have to go in and disable it from your preference or make sure you continuously check your new listings to ensure it is unchecked in the shipping options.  In the end he was very agreeable and provided me with a full refund.  GSP then refunded me the shipping I had paid.

I haven't had to ship anything internationally using GSP so I don't know if you ever do get to see the final destination address.  If it does show up somewhere it may just not be very obvious.  I would caution others to always check for GSP being enabled as an option before publishing their listings and if you do want to use it, familiarize yourself with the GSP locations in your country so that you can recognize them as GSP rather than final destinations for your packages.  Then if you do see one, try to look for the actual final destination or call ebay and see if they can locate it for you to help you determine the level of packing you'll require to get your comic safely to the buyer.

As should be obvious, any comics shipped internationally should be wrapped in plastic/bubblwrap and packed in a box or in heavy thick cardboard slabs or some other manner that is well protected and charge shipping accordingly.  I'd rather pay appropriate shipping than risk losing another comic.

11 hours ago, justafan said:

Hi folks.  I know there's been a bunch of pros and cons with GSP and discussion about it.  I just wanted to provide some info and guidance for anyone who uses GSP or thinking of using it for the first time based on a case I just encountered.  Seller was using GSP for the first time.  The comic arrived damaged in the mail due to it being shipped in a flimsy envelope with minimal cardboard protection not suitable for shipping internationally.  After contacting the seller it became evident that he hadn't realized the item was destined for another country.  The reason is that the shipping address he sent it to was another domestic city (GSP location) so he thought I was just another local buyer.  He stated that had he known it was destined for the US overseas he would have packed it far more securely for shipping.  Apparently he never saw the final destination.  He also was unaware his listing was using GSP.  I explained that ebay sets that as the default in your account settings and when creating or renewing listings you often have to go in and disable it from your preference or make sure you continuously check your new listings to ensure it is unchecked in the shipping options.  In the end he was very agreeable and provided me with a full refund.  GSP then refunded me the shipping I had paid.

I haven't had to ship anything internationally using GSP so I don't know if you ever do get to see the final destination address.  If it does show up somewhere it may just not be very obvious.  I would caution others to always check for GSP being enabled as an option before publishing their listings and if you do want to use it, familiarize yourself with the GSP locations in your country so that you can recognize them as GSP rather than final destinations for your packages.  Then if you do see one, try to look for the actual final destination or call ebay and see if they can locate it for you to help you determine the level of packing you'll require to get your comic safely to the buyer.

As should be obvious, any comics shipped internationally should be wrapped in plastic/bubblwrap and packed in a box or in heavy thick cardboard slabs or some other manner that is well protected and charge shipping accordingly.  I'd rather pay appropriate shipping than risk losing another comic.

If it was his first time, I would buy that he didn't know.

Also, from what I have heard and one personal experience, eBay removes your item and repackages it. I once had some damage and asked for a picture of the packaging and it was not what I shipped it in. So, it may not matter how it was packaged originally.

Also, GSP insurance is covered by eBay. Once it gets to their shipping center the responsibility is off the seller. You should file a claim with eBay.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:56 PM, ygogolak said:

If it was his first time, I would buy that he didn't know.

Also, from what I have heard and one personal experience, eBay removes your item and repackages it. I once had some damage and asked for a picture of the packaging and it was not what I shipped it in. So, it may not matter how it was packaged originally.

Also, GSP insurance is covered by eBay. Once it gets to their shipping center the responsibility is off the seller. You should file a claim with eBay.

I called ebay support and inquired about the proper procedure for this.  They advised since the seller was already in agreement to process a full refund that he would simply need to complete that through paypal and then proceed to have him open a case with ebay to file a claim against the GSP shipping charges due to damage.  I thought I heard that GSP does change the packaging to pocket the difference.  However, in this case I sent him photos of the envelope it was delivered in and he confirmed that was how he normally ships to local (domestic) customers.  I can see where filing the claim as a buyer might be the proper way to go but I never saw that as an option without opening a case and the ebay rep actually discouraged me opening a case if the seller was already willing to refund me the money.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:20 AM, justafan said:

I would say this is not a suitable shipping practice no matter where it is sent to.  Bad packing is bad packing.  No excuse in my book.  

28 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Scenario:

I ship a package of books to someone. This person's address was the same on eBay and PP. Tracking shows that the package is coming back to me because the buyer no longer resides at the address on his PP/eBay account.

What happens?

You get the package back?

9 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

So I get refunded for my original shipping expense + return shipping? 

Thank you very much for the info by the way. 

This happened to me once. I mailed a stiff, flat envelope to an apartment in NY so USPS probably left a pick-up slip. The buyer never picked the book up from the Post Office. USPS just did a return to sender after 30 days or so and there was no return shipping charge. I could never get back in touch with the customer to re-send or find out what went wrong. 

4 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

This happened to me once. I mailed a stiff, flat envelope to an apartment in NY so USPS probably left a pick-up slip. The buyer never picked the book up from the Post Office. USPS just did a return to sender after 30 days or so and there was no return shipping charge. I could never get back in touch with the customer to re-send or find out what went wrong. 

Did you refund the original amount that the buyer paid for the books? Or did he just vanish? 

This is one of those situations where the buyer is 100% at fault, yet I will probably get screwed. 

22 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Did you refund the original amount that the buyer paid for the books? Or did he just vanish? 

This is one of those situations where the buyer is 100% at fault, yet I will probably get screwed. 

I refunded the cost of the book, but not the shipping. My buyer seemed to have vanished. 

Sounds like you're guy should have updated his address and wants the books re-sent to his new address. If his address was eligible for "seller protection", hopefully you will be covered but I wouldn't think you'll get the postage refunded. 

Head shaking kind of experience last night.  Guy buys a ASM 11 CGC 6.5 from me and he gets it within a few days.  I hear nothing for a week and then I get the notice he is returning the book.  Wondered if it was a cracked case so I message him asking why the return and to see if I could do anything different.  He says he loved the service but just hated the look of the book when he got it in hand.  He left me glowing comments and says he would buy from me again in a second but now I'm out the original shipping since he didn't like the look of the book.  He paid return shipping so I guess we are both out some cash but returning a slabbed book because not liking the look of it in hand is a new one for me.

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

I refunded the cost of the book, but not the shipping. My buyer seemed to have vanished. 

Sounds like you're guy should have updated his address and wants the books re-sent to his new address. If his address was eligible for "seller protection", hopefully you will be covered but I wouldn't think you'll get the postage refunded. 

:sorry:grrrr...

37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Head shaking kind of experience last night.  Guy buys a ASM 11 CGC 6.5 from me and he gets it within a few days.  I hear nothing for a week and then I get the notice he is returning the book.  Wondered if it was a cracked case so I message him asking why the return and to see if I could do anything different.  He says he loved the service but just hated the look of the book when he got it in hand.  He left me glowing comments and says he would buy from me again in a second but now I'm out the original shipping since he didn't like the look of the book.  He paid return shipping so I guess we are both out some cash but returning a slabbed book because not liking the look of it in hand is a new one for me.

:facepalm:

Slap the shipping expense onto the next book he buys from you. 

Maybe he didn't like the wrap or something, but that all should have been visible on your scans. The more likely scenario is that he was unable to sneak it past the wife!

40 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Unpressable defects hm

Delivery: varies

What's this all about? All my old listings show a date to be delivered ... like this: Estimated on or before Mon. Jan. 08

Now, though, when I try to list something it says ... Delivery: varies

edit: nevermind ...  once I hit 'List it", it changed from saying 'varies' to giving a date

Edited by Gaard

On 11/29/2017 at 11:51 AM, FN-2199 said:
On 11/29/2017 at 11:10 AM, 1Cool said:

Unpressable defects hm

It might be the quality of the scans/photos.