• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, speedcake said:

still waiting on this crummy echeck ughh

The ones I have received took 5-10 days to clear. Luckily it is not that common. The first time I received one I by mistake went ahead to ship the item before the check cleared. Luckily - everything went through eventually

19 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I wouldn’t refund it.  You said to keep it AND gave him a full refund.  I think you did your part.

Thanks, that’s how I feel too. I was trying to be nice by letting him keep it and refund him. I just thought it was weird that someone would spend their own money on return postage after receiving a full refund. hm

2 minutes ago, Rockyjo3 said:
19 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I wouldn’t refund it.  You said to keep it AND gave him a full refund.  I think you did your part.

Thanks, that’s how I feel too. I was trying to be nice by letting him keep it and refund him. I just thought it was weird that someone would spend their own money on return postage after receiving a full refund. hm

I don't think it's weird at all. You put him in the position of obligation: he now owed you, whether you ever intended to collect or not.

Many people don't like being put in that position, which is why, I suspect, he returned it to you. I would refund his postage because now, in his mind, you owe him. He just wants to balance the ledger, and, in that case, even though he had the opportunity to get something for nothing, he instead said "that's not fair to you" and returned it. 

In other words, he wanted to be fair and honorable with you. That's a pretty decent gesture. And refunding his return postage would be an honorable thing to do in return.

You did your part, no doubt. And no one could fault you if you didn't refund the return postage. But, it would be a good gesture in return for someone making an honorable decision.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't think it's weird at all. You put him in the position of obligation: he now owed you, whether you ever intended to collect or not.

Many people don't like being put in that position, which is why, I suspect, he returned it to you. I would refund his postage because now, in his mind, you owe him. He just wants to balance the ledger, and, in that case, even though he had the opportunity to get something for nothing, he instead said "that's not fair to you" and returned it. 

In other words, he wanted to be fair and honorable with you. That's a pretty decent gesture. And refunding his return postage would be an honorable thing to do in return.

You did your part, no doubt. And no one could fault you if you didn't refund the return postage. But, it would be a good gesture in return for someone making an honorable decision.

I didn’t think of it that way, but that’s probably a valid reason. I thought the only reasons he may have returned it were (1) he didn’t read my message saying to keep it or (2) he REALLY didn’t want it taking up space in his house if he wasn’t happy with it 

I just wanted to do something nice for him because I felt bad that I didn’t inspect the poster close enough and now he got something not as described. So I thought letting him keep it instead of hassling with returning it would be the nice thing to do.

Thanks for the input!

I recently put up a new listing on eBay last night.

I looked this morning and someone had bid on the figure, but on the selling page it states High bidder : Private.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7b9fb63d42ce9db66257f31e5218b6b.jpeg

I've never seen this before. When I look at the listing and click the bid it shows the bidders name, but I can't click their ID to see their feed back.

Has anyone else run across this before?

25 minutes ago, Myparentsbasement said:

I recently put up a new listing on eBay last night.

I looked this morning and someone had bid on the figure, but on the selling page it states High bidder : Private.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7b9fb63d42ce9db66257f31e5218b6b.jpeg

I've never seen this before. When I look at the listing and click the bid it shows the bidders name, but I can't click their ID to see their feed back.

Has anyone else run across this before?

Looks like you created a private listing and the bidder has chosen to make their feedback private as well.

Anyone know how ebay usual resolves this kind of thing?  I’m anticipating the worst case... but from this guy’s message, I think it’s relatively safe to do that... lol 

I got a message from a buyer tonight saying...  (i’m paraphrasing...but this is pretty close to a quote) hey, i was checking stuff i bought, and I noticed I don’t have this.  Do you have an info?  

Obviously I panicked, and wondered if it was something I’d done in error.. but I clicked on the item and saw it was a slab I’d sent him, via priority mail on February 5, which was delivered on February 7 at 9 am.

Now why on God’s green earth he couldn’t have clicked on that himself I have no idea... but he didn’t.  And why he waited six weeks to ask me about it is another question ...  but I responded simply that the info I have is that I shipped it on the 5th and that it was delivered to him on the 7th.

I assume he’ll say he never got it and take it up with ebay. Which, I’m sorry, seems awfully fishy to me. I really am not inclined to offer this guy a refund six weeks later for something that shows as delivered.  Will ebay actually make me do that?  Anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

3 hours ago, fmaz said:

Anyone know how ebay usual resolves this kind of thing?  I’m anticipating the worst case... but from this guy’s message, I think it’s relatively safe to do that... lol 

I got a message from a buyer tonight saying...  (i’m paraphrasing...but this is pretty close to a quote) hey, i was checking stuff i bought, and I noticed I don’t have this.  Do you have an info?  

Obviously I panicked, and wondered if it was something I’d done in error.. but I clicked on the item and saw it was a slab I’d sent him, via priority mail on February 5, which was delivered on February 7 at 9 am.

Now why on God’s green earth he couldn’t have clicked on that himself I have no idea... but he didn’t.  And why he waited six weeks to ask me about it is another question ...  but I responded simply that the info I have is that I shipped it on the 5th and that it was delivered to him on the 7th.

I assume he’ll say he never got it and take it up with ebay. Which, I’m sorry, seems awfully fishy to me. I really am not inclined to offer this guy a refund six weeks later for something that shows as delivered.  Will ebay actually make me do that?  Anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

I did have that happen once, and the buyer found it in the garage the next day. He  said his mail/person must have  put it there.

If you have delivery confirmation, I think eBay will accept it. Other than be at the buyer's home with a camera, there really isn't much else you can do to prove he did get it.

I hope you got some sleep;)

OK, this is a new change.  At least I think it is.

Or am I the only one who remembers people being NARU'd (tossed off ) for too many bid retractions? That we used to see the bid retractions on the feedback page? 

I just canceled a bid from a bidder who has retracted 16 bids in 6 months, 4 in the past month. I had to google in order to find a link to cancel and instead of my explanation,  it showed up as a bid retraction.  If you look up cancel a bid on eBay, the link  (on eBay) brings you to a blank page. I think I was on eBay UK or something when I canceled because there was a translation of the bid amount to Pounds on the first page.

I only knew the person had all those retractions because another bidder wrote and told me, apparently if you click on that person's name on the bidding page, you can see the retractions. HOWEVER,   I can't see the retractions as the seller.

I called eBay to ask why the person is still allowed to bid and the person on the other end told me that "anyone can bid on your auctions". She had never heard of anyone being tossed off the site for too many bid retractions. 

I asked how long they have been there, she said 5 years. I kept asking the same thing..."Why is someone who retracted 16 bids in 6 months still allowed to bid on eBay...and she kept repeating "anyone even with 0 feedback can bid on your auctions".

Now I'm waiting for a call from a supervisor. This makes no sense.

Does anyone know if it's possible to search for books on eBay worldwide in a way that shows you all the listings with the key words, even if the item is not available to your country?

Example: if I search "australian comic" I find 100s of listings, but I can't see this one (which I know about b/c of a boardie) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332585202287?ViewItem=&item=332585202287

I can't get that one to show in any search I do. I tried logging into UK ebay, but that didn't work either.

What are people's thoughts about buyers with private feedback?  I had a bad experience and wondering if I should start canceling buyers who hide their feedback...

I know I could lose some  honest buyers that are hiding their prior purchases for discretion, but it would also cut out another shady segment of the population who are hiding bad feedback that other sellers leave.

Edited by Wolverinex

There are still people with private feedback? I used to state in my listings that I would not accept bidders with private feedback but dropped it since I didn't think they existed anymore.

BTW, sellers cannot leave bad feedback, only positive.

10 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

There are still people with private feedback? I used to state in my listings that I would not accept bidders with private feedback but dropped it since I didn't think they existed anymore.

They seem to be marking the items private, not the feedback now.  I bought something a while ago, and when I looked at the feedback I left,  it's marked private. I can't figure out what it was, lol. I KNOW it was not something I'd consider private. I only buy comics/books, packing supplies, that kind of stuff on eBay.

I won't let anyone with private feedback bid on my auctions, I had a disturbing encounter with someone who had private feedback eons ago. It stuck in my mind. The person actually called me and threatened me with a neg if I didn't send him something extra.

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
25 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

They seem to be marking the items private, not the feedback now.  I bought something a while ago, and when I looked at the feedback I left,  it's marked private. I can't figure out what it was, lol. I KNOW it was not something I'd consider private. I only buy comics/books, packing supplies, that kind of stuff on eBay.

I won't let anyone with private feedback bid on my auctions, I had a disturbing encounter with someone who had private feedback eons ago. It stuck in my mind. The person actually called me and threatened me with a neg if I didn't send him something extra.

I dropped stating it in my listings not only because I wasn't running into those folks so much but to streamline my descriptions and avoid a wall of text. However, I would most likely bounce anybody with PF who tired to bid.

11 hours ago, AJD said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to search for books on eBay worldwide in a way that shows you all the listings with the key words, even if the item is not available to your country?

Example: if I search "australian comic" I find 100s of listings, but I can't see this one (which I know about b/c of a boardie) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332585202287?ViewItem=&item=332585202287

I can't get that one to show in any search I do. I tried logging into UK ebay, but that didn't work either.

Pretty sure that doesn't show up as a result because the seller won't ship to your country. Even if you aren't logged in, I'm guessing eBay uses your ip address to filter out results from sellers that won't ship to your location. Even when I'm not logged in to ebay and use your link to view that book on ebay.co.uk the listing knows that I'm located in the US as it specifically mentions that the seller may not ship there.

7 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Is there a way for us to automatically block people with private feedback?  This is the first time I encountered someone who has it.  Also, if someone does win with private feedback, can you cancel without repercussions ie, will they be able to leave any feedback about your canceling?