• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,140 posts in this topic

@justafan

I once had purchased some glass from a scam artist on eBay. Same scenario, he/she (it was  a guy pretending to be a woman) bought a lot of small items so that he had feedback,  then WHAM, had a ton of "good" glass for sale at very reasonable prices. 

There were multiple scams going on. The seller salted a few purchases with real stuff then started selling forgeries, there was another scheme to defraud UPS at the same time. It later turned out there were hundreds of people that were scammed and when I first found out (from a local antique dealer) that the pieces were fake, I could only get my money back from my credit card company and PP put a temporary hold on my account until I mailed them the fake glass (at my expense).

My guess is, you are lucky you got your money back promptly. Unfortunately these things are not so rare.  

10 minutes ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I thought eBay required sellers to accept PayPal. Has that policy changed lately?

I'm pretty sure they are starting a partnership with a new pay service in the not too distant future. Maybe they are easing up on that requirement. Or, maybe I just got ripped off.:tonofbricks:

25 minutes ago, electricprune said:

I'm pretty sure they are starting a partnership with a new pay service in the not too distant future. Maybe they are easing up on that requirement. Or, maybe I just got ripped off.:tonofbricks:

36 minutes ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I thought eBay required sellers to accept PayPal. Has that policy changed lately?

It happened to me too, I've discussed via pm with some board members, called eBay etc. You have to be careful how the listing is worded. I believe it has to specifically say PayPal credit. 

It happened with my Dave Stevens book a while back. EBay told me to message the seller, I did, and he claimed everything was fine on his end and that he wasn't in a rush for payment. So I couldn't end the transaction right away because the buyer still expected me to pay etc I found another way to pay since I really wanted the book. But I think eBay will side with the buyer, but it's a hassle and makes the buyer look bad or foolish etc. But it was my bad or I thought so and paid anyway, I was lucky. It stunk to high heaven though. 

Just noticed that on my bins I can see how many views each item has but on my auctions I can only see how many watchers - not how many views. 

Can other sellers verify whether same applies to you?

12 hours ago, Poka said:

Just noticed that on my bins I can see how many views each item has but on my auctions I can only see how many watchers - not how many views. 

Can other sellers verify whether same applies to you?

I had the same issue. Called about it today. They said it was a technical issue & that it was being worked on. I can now see the views on my listings. I think the view count starts from zero however so you won't know how many views you received while the problem was occurring  

On 6/25/2018 at 9:13 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

On 6/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, electricprune said:

For the first time in a LONG time, I just won a lot on Ebay where the seller doesn't take PayPal. I wonder if this will start to become more and more common?

They don't require sellers to accept PayPal but the only way to avoid it is to aquire a "merchant account" with your bank according to eBay. If you're willing to go through that hassle then you can avoid Paypals fee. Whatever fee your bank may impose is another story 

OK, this is weird. 

I was looking through the sold listings on eBay this morning (GA) and I found this Phantom Lady 15 had sold for $500.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Golden-Age-Comics-1938-1955/66/bn_2310528?LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_catref=1&_pgn=2&_sop=10

I clicked through on the listing to see what it looked like (you have to double click now to get to the item, click "listing")

and see this....where a best offer was accepted at $19.95? That's quite a bargain, lol...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/223040953113?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

49 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

OK, this is weird. 

I was looking through the sold listings on eBay this morning (GA) and I found this Phantom Lady 15 had sold for $500.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Golden-Age-Comics-1938-1955/66/bn_2310528?LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_catref=1&_pgn=2&_sop=10

I clicked through on the listing to see what it looked like (you have to double click now to get to the item, click "listing")

and see this....where a best offer was accepted at $19.95? That's quite a bargain, lol...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/223040953113?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

:takeit:

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

OK, this is weird. 

That book was originally listed as a $19.95 no reserve auction. I was watching it. Guessing someone messaged the seller with a number, and the seller edited the listing to take offers. It's newer eBay functionality, and I think the listings show up strangely when the buyer is sending the seller an offer. I won a listing via the "make an offer" option on an otherwise normal auction (no BIN listed) and it showed up this way. 

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

OK, this is weird. 

I was watching that item, too, when it first went up. I noticed the next day it moved to "Ended". I believe it was originally a listing with a starting bid of $19.95, then someone talked the seller into selling for $500. Every time I ask for a best offer on an auction I get shutdown; wish I would have tried on this one.

Has anybody else noticed that some silver age listings now also have a stock photo before you get to the actual book itself? You wind up looking at a nice stock photo, then you see the real book which may be garbage. I've even come across it with CGC books. It just wastes more time.....

Anybody ever have any issues with Ebay's Global Shipping Program?

I'm thinking about signing up for it and am going through worst case scenarios.

Once you have shipped books off to ebay, how are returns handled? If customer says books do not match assigned grade does ebay take responsibility since they opened and repackaged item and could have caused damage? If package is destroyed in transit does ebay take responsibility for their packaging? Is it a case where ebay eats the costs and makes the customer whole on their own dime? Or, in my worst case scenario, does ebay take no responsibility for mucking up your packaging and force you to refund customer and return postage from a foreign country?

Or, is it like ebay says in the advertising, "once it reaches us, your job is done."

40 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Has anybody else noticed that some silver age listings now also have a stock photo before you get to the actual book itself? You wind up looking at a nice stock photo, then you see the real book which may be garbage. I've even come across it with CGC books. It just wastes more time.....

Yes. Every listing seems to have it and its making me nuts.

46 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Yet another sweet fleaBay "enhancement".

I don't think I have ever seen a company more committed to ruining their own platform. 

Edited by october