• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

I agree that ebay seems to be trying hard to make their platform worse all the time.

Here is the latest email alert I got that apparently impacts a single item with this title:

Update your listings now to ensure they comply with recent security, policy and listing requirements updates.

As far as I can tell -- the only thing wrong with the listing is that the time allowed for returns is not long enough. And how did this happen? Well ebay defaulted my return time to 14 days a few years ago unless I manually edited the listings to 30 days. As I have done less listing with ebay, I have stopped caring about getting top rated seller status-- which is the only reason this listing would need to altered.

It just seems like they work hard to find new ways to hassle sellers-- the purpose of which is baffling to me. 

18 hours ago, evilskip said:

Has anybody else noticed that some silver age listings now also have a stock photo before you get to the actual book itself? You wind up looking at a nice stock photo, then you see the real book which may be garbage. I've even come across it with CGC books. It just wastes more time.....

Here's the answer.....

14 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I agree that ebay seems to be trying hard to make their platform worse all the time.

Here is the latest email alert I got that apparently impacts a single item with this title:

Update your listings now to ensure they comply with recent security, policy and listing requirements updates.

As far as I can tell -- the only thing wrong with the listing is that the time allowed for returns is not long enough. And how did this happen? Well ebay defaulted my return time to 14 days a few years ago unless I manually edited the listings to 30 days. As I have done less listing with ebay, I have stopped caring about getting top rated seller status-- which is the only reason this listing would need to altered.

It just seems like they work hard to find new ways to hassle sellers-- the purpose of which is baffling to me. 

I had to change several of my listings too. I looked it up and there are only a few categories that continue to allow a 14 day return policy, collectibles being one of them. Some of my bric a brac had to be relisted with a 30 or 60 day return policy. Had I not changed the return policy, my items would not have been automatically relisted since they were a "Good 'til cancelled" listing. 

A new issue I noticed last night, thought it was user error, but continues today on a different computer.

When providing my search results, it says "9 results" but only shows 1 result.

I haven't changed any settings; anyone else experiencing this? Is it a "new, fun" eBay function, my issue, or a bug?

example.jpg

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

A new issue I noticed last night, thought it was user error, but continues today on a different computer.

I haven't changed any settings; anyone else experiencing this? Is it a "new, fun" eBay function, my issue, or a bug?

example.jpg

I noticed this last night as well.  Had something like 700 search results, but showed about 20...

Newb question. Try not to roll your eyes ...

I want to buy 2 BINs from a seller who offers combined shipping. How do I buy them without paying the full shipping amount on both items?

11 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Newb question. Try not to roll your eyes ...

I want to buy 2 BINs from a seller who offers combined shipping. How do I buy them without paying the full shipping amount on both items?

Add the items to the basket, it will either  be adjusted automatically, or you will have to request a new total from the seller by clicking the box provided, then wait for new invoice.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, FN-2199 said:

I had to change several of my listings too. I looked it up and there are only a few categories that continue to allow a 14 day return policy, collectibles being one of them. Some of my bric a brac had to be relisted with a 30 or 60 day return policy. Had I not changed the return policy, my items would not have been automatically relisted since they were a "Good 'til cancelled" listing. 

On 7/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, FN-2199 said:
  On 7/9/2018 at 12:37 AM, 01TheDude said:

I got a message the other day that I had to offer free returns in order to qualify for the power seller discount. Of course they didn't tell me this until I lost the discount for the previous month. 

I only have comics listed, so their "collectibles" thing doesn't seem to apply. When I removed free returns, the power seller logo disappears. 

After doing a bunch of work to maintain that seller status, I'm finally so annoyedd with them, I'm not going to even try keep it current  anymore.  I think I have enough sales to keep it till Nov, after that, forget it.

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i get tired of eBay defaulting to "best match" when i search.... i don't care what they think is my best match,... it never is ...

i always search by "newly listed"

is there a way to make it default to "newly listed"      ???

Yes press the saved search icon and you'll get an email when something is listed, however make sure the search covers what you are looking for such as a comic title or listing good luck.

On 4/2/2017 at 8:31 AM, skypinkblu said:

Here is someone to block.  jr81784 . I just got off the phone with eBay and it's "a compromised account". He/she bid on one of my books ending tonight and withdrew just before the 12 hour mark, saying "bid wrong amoutn" yet, they didn't make another bid (which is required for that excuse).

Seems they have withdrawn on 7 other bids this year. 

eBay says the account has been compromised. I asked why they didn't do something after 7 other withdrawn bids, but I didn't really get an answer.

Just completed a transaction (through this site) with this user and all went well. I hadn't seen this message. I had communicated with him on eBay too. I don't think it's a compromised account; not sure why eBay would use such a vague term or why the account would still be active.

People withdraw bids without re-bidding sometimes. The reason they put "bid wrong amount" is sometimes because there are no other options in the list of reasons. I don't think people should withdraw bids often, and it's a means to commit shenanigans, but sometimes people do have a change of heart.

2 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:
  On 4/2/2017 at 11:31 AM, skypinkblu said:

Here is someone to block.  jr81784 . I just got off the phone with eBay and it's "a compromised account". He/she bid on one of my books ending tonight and withdrew just before the 12 hour mark, saying "bid wrong amoutn" yet, they didn't make another bid (which is required for that excuse).

Seems they have withdrawn on 7 other bids this year. 

eBay says the account has been compromised. I asked why they didn't do something after 7 other withdrawn bids, but I didn't really get an answer.

2 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Just completed a transaction (through this site) with this user and all went well. I hadn't seen this message. I had communicated with him on eBay too. I don't think it's a compromised account; not sure why eBay would use such a vague term or why the account would still be active.

People withdraw bids without re-bidding sometimes. The reason they put "bid wrong amount" is sometimes because there are no other options in the list of reasons. I don't think people should withdraw bids often, and it's a means to commit shenanigans, but sometimes people do have a change of heart.

I agree that people can make mistakes, but 7 out of the number of bids he had was a huge number, especially since eBay's policy has always been not to allow more than 3.

One of the reasons people bid and withdraw is to find out other people's top bids, it's happened to me many times when I have left early bids. In this instance, that is what the person appeared to be trying to do, it was not a "mistake" it was an attempt to find out the other person's max bid.

I'm glad you had a good experience, but I'm not going to remove him from my list, to me that stuff is plain cheating, it's not fair to the other bidders.

I don't know why eBay said it was compromised either, but that was what I was told when I called to ask them to remove him as an eBay bidder.

Edited by skypinkblu
added a sentence

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I agree that people can make mistakes, but 7 out of the number of bids he had was a huge number, especially since eBay's policy has always been not to allow more than 3.

One of the reasons people bid and withdraw is to find out other people's top bids, it's happened to me many times when I have left early bids. In this instance, that is what the person appeared to be trying to do, it was not a "mistake" it was an attempt to find out the other person's max bid.

I'm glad you had a good experience, but I'm not going to remove him from my list, to me that stuff is plain cheating, it's not fair to the other bidders.

I don't know why eBay said it was compromised either, but that was what I was told when I called to ask them to remove him as an eBay bidder.

People shouldn't use retraction as a way to find out the top bid, agreed.

1 hour ago, Doohickamabob said:

People shouldn't use retraction as a way to find out the top bid, agreed.

They also shouldn't have 7 retractions in 64 transactions (some of those were sales;) That was this year, he had less transactions and a higher percentage last year...

But I'm not saying he might not be a great person...if eBay doesn't do their job and tell people who do that stuff to stop it, they might think it's just a brainstorm of a great idea...it's not like it's posted so you can easily see it.

BTW, I rarely block people, maybe 1 or 2 a year, sometimes none in 2 or 3 years, that's why I usually remember the ones I do block.

Edited by skypinkblu
added something

On 7/14/2018 at 10:59 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i get tired of eBay defaulting to "best match" when i search.... i don't care what they think is my best match,... it never is ...

i always search by "newly listed"

is there a way to make it default to "newly listed"      ???

1) Do a search 2) Change the listings to sort by newly listed 3) Make a bookmark for the page in your browser 4) When you click the bookmark, it will repeat your search with the newly listed parameter as the default sort option 5) After opening the bookmark if you search for something new (instead of running the search for what the bookmark saved) your new search should also default to sorting by newly listed. 

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

They also shouldn't have 7 retractions in 64 transactions (some of those were sales;) That was this year, he had less transactions and a higher percentage last year...

But I'm not saying he might not be a great person...if eBay doesn't do their job and tell people who do that stuff to stop it, they might think it's just a brainstorm of a great idea...it's not like it's posted so you can easily see it.

BTW, I rarely block people, maybe 1 or 2 a year, sometimes none in 2 or 3 years, that's why I usually remember the ones I do block.

One thing to consider is that someone might use multiple accounts to mine information about top bids.

if someone were trying to find the top bid number with the intention of retracting after getting the information, it would be simple to have one or more shill accounts that you could do whatever you wanted with while using that knowledge with your main account.

I am not proposing people do this but reading the discussion sort of got me thinking about this as a possible bidding tactic. So even if you are blocking that shill account-- the person might still end up winning the bid in the end. I doubt there really is any way to prevent that type of nonsense.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:45 AM, manetteska said:

example.jpg

I see that the sort is "best match" - have you tried changing that selection?