• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

Ebay neophyte has a question ...

I've read in numerous listings "If you have any problems, contact us first before going thru Ebay." Or something like that. I have absolutely no idea if this is right, but it sounds like if you go thru Ebay it's somehow detrimental to the seller?

So yesterday, I have a comic delivered that was poorly packed, and because it was damaged, I want to return it. (I hate the idea of partial refunds ... I get what I paid for or I get my money back) Anyways, being the good dooby that I am, I think to myself, "I think I should just contact the seller because I might do him some damage if I go thru Ebay."  But, of course, he hasn't responded.

So two questions ...

1) Do sellers get some kind of demerit if buyers go thru Ebay to return a comic?

2) Should I go thru Ebay anyways so that I'm protected?

Obviously, I have to go thru Ebay this time, because he hasn't responded, but going forward, should I even bother letting him know before filing a claim thru Ebay? (I guess that's 3 questions)

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I've read in numerous listings "If you have any problems, contact us first before going thru Ebay." Or something like that. I have absolutely no idea if this is right, but it sounds like if you go thru Ebay it's somehow detrimental to the seller?

So yesterday, I have a comic delivered that was poorly packed, and because it was damaged, I want to return it. (I hate the idea of partial refunds ... I get what I paid for or I get my money back) Anyways, being the good dooby that I am, I think to myself, "I think I should just contact the seller because I might do him some damage if I go thru Ebay."  But, of course, he hasn't responded.

So two questions ...

1) Do sellers get some kind of demerit if buyers go thru Ebay to return a comic?

Obviously, I have to go thru Ebay this time, because he hasn't responded, but going forward, should I even bother letting him know before filing a claim thru Ebay? (I guess that's 3 questions)

The main reason sellers include that wording is to ask that you contact them first before giving them negative feedback. They want the opportunity to make things right if possible.

Also-- consider the size of the seller in question when waiting for a response. Larger sellers have tons of tasks in front of them and responding to messages isn't always the #1 priority. A couple of more days before starting a return process might be smart as they might have an alternative to simply returning the book.

Under no circumstance should you ever infer that you might be giving them negative feedback if you don't get what you are asking for.

Now if they simply never respond to to you or you are tired of waiting-- go ahead and request to process a return. It will not look bad on the seller and these things happen in shipping anything. You can leave them bad feedback if you want but if they handle the return properly, maybe cut them a break and go with a neutral feedback and message that you had to return the item as it was damaged in shipping.

That is my advice-- good luck.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

So two questions ...

I'd give it a day and then start the return process through ebay. That will prompt the seller to respond.

And why, ebay, oh why, am I getting 0 feedback buyer offers? Can they please go find someone else for their first purchase?

On 7/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Gaard said:

So two questions ...

A return gets counted against your seller rating. I think it gets put into the "Transaction Defect Rate" % and affects where your listings show up on "Best Match", which is, of course, the default search. 

I always suggest that buyers initiate a return through eBay but some sellers like to look out for each other. Sometimes these sellers who are buying from me, offer to keep the return off eBay or just claim they "changed their mind" or "found a better price" as the reason for the return which does not hurt your rating as much.

I'm going through the process of accepting a return now and sales have dropped. I'll need to run an auction or something to generate sales and get me back to the top of that "Best Match" list. 

I hate ebay I’m done selling on there. A couple of lying buyers return stuff and I get stuck with funds being withheld by Ebay for all sales after being top rated seller. Even after the date they are supposed to be released they still are withheld and paypal blames Ebay. After getting through to six different managers they all say they will manually release my funds but 5 days later still nothing. I had PayPal and Ebay on 3 way calls several times but Ebay keeps saying the same trash that their “button isn’t working, must be a glitch” (seriously!)

oh and if you don’t want to be on hold for 45 minutes always say you are a buyer and they will answer in 1-2 minutes. Gee I wonder who they care more about. 

It's been a bad week for me Ebay-wise ...

I'm trying to be more patient after getting no response from the guy a few days ago. He did finally respond, btw.

This past Sunday I won 3 auctions from the same seller (taking advantage of combined shipping). I received the box Thursday. The box was not opened before it got to me (he had put packing tape on each end of the box & it was not tampered with) and there was a packing list for all 3 comics in the box. Under 'Purchase History' on Ebay, it lists all 3 comics as being delivered.  Problem is, only 1 comic was in the box. I immediately emailed the seller. (I emailed Thursday afternoon, but haven't received a response yet)

Like I said, I'm trying to be more patient. But $200 is a lot of money to me. So I can't help but ask a question ... If the seller says something like "I don't know what to tell you. They were in the box when I shipped it", will Ebay help me out? Or will they shrug their shoulders "tracking shows delivered"?

Either I have nothing to be concerned about or I'm a doofus.

I broke the cardinal rule & failed to do my due diligence on a seller until after the auction was over. After the auction, I looked at his previous sales and saw this... https://www.ebay.com/sch/silveragebooks/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Is there a legitimate reason a buyer would sell the exact copy, of multiple books, over & over again? I can see if he had a nonpaying buyer now & then, but I can't believe he had that many. If there's a legitimate reason for this that I'm just not seeing, then call me Mr Doofus.

One other thing ... that Archie's Joke Book (with Frankenstein). Each copy has a different back cover. Is that normal/common?

btw - I emailed him about this and he basically said he doesn't understand what my worry is?

...hope the link works...

Edited by Gaard

38 minutes ago, Gaard said:

ber coEither I have nothing to be concerned about or I'm a doofus.

I broke the cardinal rule & failed to do my due diligence on a seller until after the auction was over. After the auction, I looked at his previous sales and saw this... https://www.ebay.com/sch/silveragebooks/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Is there a legitimate reason a buyer would sell the exact copy, of multiple books, over & over again? I can see if he had a nonpaying buyer now & then, but I can't believe he had that many. If there's a legitimate reason for this that I'm just not seeing, then call me Mr Doofus.

One other thing ... that Archie's Joke Book (with Frankenstein). Each copy has a different back cover. Is that normal/common?

btw - I emailed him about this and he basically said he doesn't understand what my worry is?

If I remember correctly, this guy is selling stock from an old drug store that went out of business long ago - so multiple copies of the same issue should not be a problem.  If it is the person I am thinking it is, I bought a couple of issues from him last year, but no more - as the two I got had significant edge tanning, which is a no-no for me.

I'm about through shipping the UV Digital Codes with the Blu-ray discs I sell on eBay.  What's happening is unethical buyers are redeeming them immediately upon arrival, then opening up a case in the resolution center against me that the movie came not as described with no UV Digital Code included when I know if listed and stated as such in the description section it in fact did.  The problem is that once the UV Digital Code has been redeemed, it can no longer be used. They pull this stunt to get free movies.  It's actually quite pathetic. 

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

Either I have nothing to be concerned about or I'm a doofus.

He has multiples of every book. I've bought a few. They are very nice, but like the other guy said....edge tanning. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"They call me....MISTER Doofus!"

"They call me Mellow Yellow" that is Dr. Doofus..... I listed my first few items and haven't had a chance to do any blocking at all.... doh! I'm going to get that doctorate degree really quickly :( 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:02 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

For what it's worth, it appears that the "the listing you're looking for is no longer available. Here's one we found for you that's just like that one!" has been ended, at least for now.

I never saw this test end before tonight. I'm now seeing a different layout when searching ended auctions.

ETA: new pic. Couldn't remove the old one, so I shrunk it!

image.png.ae6c1de638a62ab54aa6d0800a5ad8fb.png

image.png.97892038f73bc20d6e9ceae2ac055b9f.png

Edited by stock_rotation

quick question,

I received a request to cancel an order by a buyer. Personally I'm sick of this. My auctions go for 7 days+ then the buyer will request to cancel the purchase because xyz.

The item sold for far more than expected and the buyer has a large feedback but of course I got the message the next day requesting the purchase be cancelled because they "bid the wrong amount"

I told them I'm not cancelling, they can request to cancel. I informed them I would be filing a non-paying case against them.

Buyer states they cannot request to cancel the order. Is this true? I thought as a buyer you can request this.

I know before eBay would keep track of this as both buyer/seller requesting cancellations. I suspect the buyer wants me to cancel so that it isn't counted against them etc

Edited by jsilverjanet

also I think eBay needs to change or update their non-paying buyer policy. It should not just be based on instances (x number of times you don't pay for an item during a certain time frame) but also on dollar value

5 times within a year or $1000 worth of items.