• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,158 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Heronext said:

I don’t know, because I don’t have the book here.  Next time I will just make it clearer that I don’t know what is going on with the book.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the buyer. Your listing infers that the staples are most likely production related. Book in hand he disagrees. If you had said you do not know their origin, etc. I think you have a better argument. Mind you, if I was buying the book I would assume you were being optimistic and that the staples were added and bid accordingly and accepted the book that was delivered.

Edited by the blob

22 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Do you all 2nd offer to the next highest paying bidder if the winner ends up not paying?  Or do you relist?

What is the risk - offer it up to the next highest and see what they say.  Especially if it's only a few bucks cheaper it may be worth it to just get the purchase done.  Buyers seem to be shying away from 2nd offers either for shill reasons or they go out and buy another copy once they lose.  Good luck!

Here is a question.  Why isn't E-Bay busier when you consider all the Cons that occur each and every week and the millions of people who walk thru those doors in a given year.  You have thousands and thousands of worldwide hard core buyers of books who flock to comic cons each year in search of specific books and then you look at the number of sold copies of a particular book and there is maybe a handful that sell in a 3 month period.  I know there is a plethora of books up for sale and it's like walking into a gigantic comic con with thousands of vendors but compared to the number of overall buyers in this wide world the number of books being sold each month just doesn't match.

Is it over pricing?  Is it too much products and people can't confused?  i looked over the total number of books sold over the last 12 hours and doubled it which gave me about 5,000 comic items sold yesterday on E-Bay.  What is that - 20 long boxes.  Is that a lot for the entire country considering how many long boxes get sold in any given weekend at comic cons across the country and International?

Edited by 1Cool

Many years ago...

1) When Ebay compiled Stores(buy it now) listings into the same listing space as "Auctions" It hurt the live bidding market.

2)Several Mega-Supersize-Comic stores fill so much of the live auction space with total mess that the really good stuff is often passed over.

3)Scammers who have been able to constantly re-invent themselves have struck on the selling and buying line.

For new customers this is similar to getting bad food at a restaurant...doubtful they will return.

4) Ebay needs to spend less time on Fixing the auction process and less time on marketing commercials.

5) Also Ebay removed the live auction page from the Comic Books homepage for awhile(fixed now) .That was really hurtful.

As to your mention of overpricing...It can be? Depends on the item. There should me lots more lots that start at .99 and sell for whatever instead of COMIC MASTER listing every issue of every 90's-2000's comic every week. Try looking at the prime weekend auction times...swamped with mess.

I love Ebay..but since you asked...

In response to 1Cool, I see nearly 1.1 million completed sales when I just plug in the word "comic." Some are not comics, of course, but many are multi-comic lots. I randomly looked at a page of 50 sales out of those 1.1 million and counted 75 comic books. Another 67. Another 243. So, maybe we are talking 500-800,000 (or more) comics sold on ebay a month?

Let's not forget at most cons the minority are buying comics and many have very specialized niches or don't go to a show to buy a long box of stuff, but rather focus on a few nice items.

Edited by the blob

Jeez louise, I fished two of those 880s in nice shape out of dollar boxes way back when. Sold them for, I think, $30 and, later, $75, here. Did worse on my NYX 3 sales though. $10 and $50. Sometimes unloading a hot modern ASAP while it still has value isn't always the best move.

44 minutes ago, the blob said:

I forget, can you get your fees back without filing a non-paying bidder thing or does the "mutually agreed" option let you get your fees back too?

I can but enough is enough. There are policies in place and if he’s not paying he should be held responsible just as I am held responsible as a seller.

furthermore he openly admitted if he paid he would just return the item which another further abuse of the return policy

eBay will be noticed about this buyer.

its time we took back the north. Sellers are you with me!

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

I can but enough is enough. There are policies in place and if he’s not paying he should be held responsible just as I am held responsible as a seller.

furthermore he openly admitted if he paid he would just return the item which another further abuse of the return policy

eBay will be noticed about this buyer.

its time we took back the north. Sellers are you with me!

You are right, of course, but I just don't have it in me to fight some of these fights. Chances are on your next listing you get $225 for it and a buyer who actually pays.

Can't agree more about buyers having no "compassion" for sellers' situations. It's part of the reason that, when I send a Best Offer, I usually accompany it with a "this is seriously the most I can offer" note. I prefer not to do the back-and-forth haggling (which is often a waste of time). I never low-ball and I just want to be real. I find that it more often than not gets the job done unless someone has a severely unrealistic expectation for their financial return on a collectible item...

I have a question about returns.

I accepted a return from a buyer on Oct 24th. Since I am in Spain and the buyer is in the USA, I can not buy a return label for him. Ebay has the option to click "I can not purchase the shipping label".

To this day, I didn't receive the item back, I didn't even receive the return shipping information. But ebay issued the refund to the buyer yesterday.

I thought that the buyer have to send proof of the return in order to have the refund. 

So now I am missing my comics and the money. What did I do wrong?

Any help would be appreciated

On 10/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, Wolverinex said:

Do you all 2nd offer to the next highest paying bidder if the winner ends up not paying?  Or do you relist?

I would never accept a second chance offer and would not expect another eBay member to either.  If winning bidder does not pay for an item (or returns it), then he/she is a non-valid bidder and all his previous bids should be erased.  EBay's second offer is to buy at the bid increment lower than the now-invalid winning bidder, yet the real remaining high bid could be much lower if the two people in question had been the sole competitors at higher levels.

This is how my understanding of it has always been - I could be wrong on details of how it actually works.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

I forget, can you get your fees back without filing a non-paying bidder thing or does the "mutually agreed" option let you get your fees back too?

I believe you just have to Cancel the sale. This is what I generally do now 4-5 days after an auction ends without pay/communication, rather than wait for eBay's interminable process to play out.

Poster above is right, an unpaying bidder is a waste of 2 weeks of seller's time and cheats seller out of money you are expecting, and money offered by the under-bidder.

Relatively small sample size but this year I'd say I have 5-10% non-paying winners.