• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I had a guy make an offer to me very early in the morning ( I slept in late ) and after only a few hours he messages me nagging for some kind of response. I counter offered his lowball offer with a price commensurate with FMV. He counters again with a message that said "let's do this, I will pay immediately". I declined the offer and he messages me again telling me how I've lost "thousands of dollars in future sales" because I declined his offer lol

I basically told him to have a Happy Holiday and went about my day...I'm just always a little amused when buyers get like that and treat me like I'll be going to the poorhouse if I don't sell them the book they want.

Like the guy tells girl who turns him down you dont know what yer missing!!!
Actually I do.  Good day sir.  lol 

Wants something on the cheap but is good for 'thousands in the future'.  At 'full price' I'm sure.  Yeah no.  I had a friend did T shirts-some dude wanted 15 free shirts with the promise of a 'big order' in the future.  Sure thing buddy.

Edited by kav

Gosh, what is going on here...

Auction was for Archie Comics #50 (link), CGC restored 1.8. Seller is "imfun2kis," an eBay member since 2001, 688 feedback rating, 100% positive in past year, located in Bronx, NY.

I was watching the auction. I noticed two bidders going back and forth, one with a 0-feedback rating, the other with a 1-feedback rating. Each bidder has 100% bidding activity with the seller, "imfun2kis."

Auction ends with final price of $388. A few minutes later, "imfun2kis" posts the same comic as a Buy-It-Now (link) with an asking price of $650 (or best offer).

I sent the seller a message: "What happened here?" and he replied, "The buyer asked to cancel because they thought they’d be outbid, guess they weren’t serious buyer".

Some images below. The bidding-history graphics are of the top two bidders (I'm not sure why the "u***q" turns into "u***v," etc., but it's the same bidder).

You can draw your own conclusions here. I just think it's something worth documenting. I'm sorry to see this stuff still happening.

arch50-01.jpg

arch50-02.jpg

arch50-02b.jpg

arch50-03.jpg

Edited by Doohickamabob
changed phrasing in a sentence

First negative eBay experience.

I bought what was described as Spider-Man: Noir Eyes Without a Face #2, paid, got a tracking number, and it arrived today. Its the TPB for Eyes Without a Face, in library HC binding; it appears to be a library book! I didn't take pictures of the signature card inside the front cover; but I did write the library's information on the return slip. Can't tell if its stolen or not, figured I'd let eBay figure that out.

So yeah, go eBay. ;)

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

2 hours ago, BabaLament said:

First negative eBay experience.

I bought what was described as Spider-Man: Noir Eyes Without a Face #2, paid, got a tracking number, and it arrived today. Its the TPB for Eyes Without a Face, in library HC binding; it appears to be a library book! I didn't take pictures of the signature card inside the front cover; but I did write the library's information on the return slip. Can't tell if its stolen or not, figured I'd let eBay figure that out.

So yeah, go eBay. ;)

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

Libraries sometimes sell old copies when they get new ones. Was this advertised as a beat up old book? No pics?

On 12/23/2018 at 12:13 AM, Logan510 said:

I had a guy make an offer to me very early in the morning ( I slept in late ) and after only a few hours he messages me nagging for some kind of response. I counter offered his lowball offer with a price commensurate with FMV. He counters again with a message that said "let's do this, I will pay immediately". I declined the offer and he messages me again telling me how I've lost "thousands of dollars in future sales" because I declined his offer lol

I basically told him to have a Happy Holiday and went about my day...I'm just always a little amused when buyers get like that and treat me like I'll be going to the poorhouse if I don't sell them the book they want.

I get offers, I throw out a lot of offers. If they get accepted after some back and forth 3% of the time that is ok. Last week I wound up getting two early SA minor keys at pretty good prices, one from a major dealer, another guy with a pretty big ebay presence. No feelings hurt on rejections and I hope no when I say no. A few years ago I had a guy trying to bully my wife via best offer on a GA book I was selling on her account. It was unreal. He thought he had a female seller he thought he could browbeat. Anyway, I took over on that, but he obviously had no clue about my wife. Her 3/8 Sicilian might as well be 400% Sicilian when it comes to aggressive negotiations. She goes off on people who lowball at yard sales.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I get offers, I throw out a lot of offers. If they get accepted after some back and forth 3% of the time that is ok. Last week I wound up getting two early SA minor keys at pretty good prices, one from a major dealer, another guy with a pretty big ebay presence. No feelings hurt on rejections and I hope no when I say no. A few years ago I had a guy trying to bully my wife via best offer on a GA book I was selling on her account. It was unreal. He thought he had a female seller he thought he could browbeat. Anyway, I took over on that, but he obviously had no clue about my wife. Her 3/8 Sicilian might as well be 400% Sicilian when it comes to aggressive negotiations. She goes off on people who lowball at yard sales.

I don’t mind the lowball so much, even a ridiculous lowball. It’s the attitude that if I don’t sell them the book they want at their price I’m commiting some sort of egregious act.

So I make an offer on a book, it is accepted, I pay. It has not been shipped. Bid on book with same seller. Win. Getting invoice for price plus another $5 shipping. As the first items has not been shipped, ask for a modification on shipping totals as seller says they combine for multiple purchases, etc. Have not heard back. Am I wrong to think I shouldn't have to pay double shipping here? If he wants to charge a buck or whatever that is fine. Did I screw myself over by promptly paying the first invoice?

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I can't stand that browbeating #(@)*^.  Had it happen several times. One time I was just trying to be polite to this guy who was aggressively trying to set up a BIN on an auction item, and he kept saying, 'So do we have a deal here?' trying to pin it down to a deal that I never had hinted I'd make, and trying to pressure me by saying he was going to be out of town when the auction ended and couldn't bid normally, etc. Just one thing after another of trying to rush the decision, pre-emptively create all these excuses for not bidding, and so on.

I've politely declined to do BIN's with such people, and I can recall at least one case where the person waited until the auction ended and purposely messaged me just to taunt me for the ending auction price not being as much as he supposedly would have been willing to offer. As if to say "Hah heh!" in some sort of childish resentment.

You really get a view of humanity through the selling process. Some people are utter saints, and some people are the lowest turds imaginable.

17 hours ago, the blob said:

So I make an offer on a book, it is accepted, I pay. It has not been shipped. Bid on book with same seller. Win. Getting invoice for price plus another $5 shipping. As the first items has not been shipped, ask for a modification on shipping totals as seller says they combine for multiple purchases, etc. Have not heard back. Am I wrong to think I shouldn't have to pay double shipping here? If he wants to charge a buck or whatever that is fine. Did I screw myself over by promptly paying the first invoice?

Is it some sort of high-volume seller? Or just an ordinary schmo? They at least should communicate...

Here's a "What Would You Do?" scenario:

You have a bunch of auctions for about 20 different items. Some of the items are combined-shipping deals (individuals who win more than 1 item can pay one shipping cost for all items).

Your auctions end, you carefully (you think) ship everything, and it's a done deal. All is sold, all is shipped.

Then, 1.5 months later (about 6 weeks), you hear from one of the buyers:

"Hello there, I've been on the road for the last month and hadn't had a chance to inspect the items you shipped. I bought 2 items, but it seems I've only received 1. I assume this was some sort of oversight. Please let me know how to proceed."

You think to yourself, "What?!??!" You have a very methodical packaging/shipping process, one package at a time, sealed up before moving on to the next package, double-checking everything as you go.

But it's possible you made a mistake. So you contact all the people who you've shipped to at that time, asking "Did you receive an extra item?" Eventually they all write back to say, "No, I did not receive anything extra."

So you're still confused. The buyer still says "I only received 1 item, not the 2 that I purchased."

You've searched high and low in your own items. Tracking shows everything was shipped and arrived, and the buyer did receive the package. Nobody else will cop to receiving an accidental bonus item. Your own methods of shipping are pretty rigorous and there's a low possibility you made a mistake (though it's not impossible).

What do you do? Do you refund? Do you partially refund? Do you conclude that you're being scammed? Or that you made a mistake and one of the other buyers is lying about receiving an extra item?

Just curious what you would do.

3 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Is it some sort of high-volume seller? Or just an ordinary schmo? They at least should communicate...

Medium high volume. I did make a bunch of offers he rejected, but after a little back and forth he accepted on a $50 book, so I am not giving grief over $3 items. He is probably busy. He has a LONG stated handling time for shipments, I am ok with that. Can't he just modify the invoice on the auction win to reduce the shipping? The auction I won.. If I have to pay double shipping it kind of wrecks the value. I know, I am whining over $4 or $5... 

5 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Here's a "What Would You Do?" scenario:

You have a bunch of auctions for about 20 different items. Some of the items are combined-shipping deals (individuals who win more than 1 item can pay one shipping cost for all items).

Your auctions end, you carefully (you think) ship everything, and it's a done deal. All is sold, all is shipped.

Then, 1.5 months later (about 6 weeks), you hear from one of the buyers:

"Hello there, I've been on the road for the last month and hadn't had a chance to inspect the items you shipped. I bought 2 items, but it seems I've only received 1. I assume this was some sort of oversight. Please let me know how to proceed."

You think to yourself, "What?!??!" You have a very methodical packaging/shipping process, one package at a time, sealed up before moving on to the next package, double-checking everything as you go.

But it's possible you made a mistake. So you contact all the people who you've shipped to at that time, asking "Did you receive an extra item?" Eventually they all write back to say, "No, I did not receive anything extra."

So you're still confused. The buyer still says "I only received 1 item, not the 2 that I purchased."

You've searched high and low in your own items. Tracking shows everything was shipped and arrived, and the buyer did receive the package. Nobody else will cop to receiving an accidental bonus item. Your own methods of shipping are pretty rigorous and there's a low possibility you made a mistake (though it's not impossible).

What do you do? Do you refund? Do you partially refund? Do you conclude that you're being scammed? Or that you made a mistake and one of the other buyers is lying about receiving an extra item?

Just curious what you would do.

He is past the point of making a claim on PayPal or ebay? Feedback? How much $ are we talking about? Thing is your fact pattern would be no different had he contacted you the next week. You'd still have no idea if he was full of it. Frankly, I wonder if I should take a pic of everything going in a given package, not that it is proof PayPal or ebay would accept.

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Medium high volume. I did make a bunch of offers he rejected, but after a little back and forth he accepted on a $50 book, so I am not giving grief over $3 items. He is probably busy. He has a LONG stated handling time for shipments, I am ok with that. Can't he just modify the invoice on the auction win to reduce the shipping? The auction I won.. If I have to pay double shipping it kind of wrecks the value. I know, I am whining over $4 or $5... 

Christmas week is also pretty busy for most people. He should alter the invoice if he has a chance to do so. Probably give the dude some time.

so ebay took down my cherry poptart slab store listing saying it needs to be in "adult"... I have it in underground like everyone else selling cherry comics. I do say "must be 18." The crumb and other stuff I have up is just as raunchy, but cherry gets picked on?

Edited by the blob

5 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Christmas week is also pretty busy for most people. He should alter the invoice if he has a chance to do so. Probably give the dude some time.

I am not going to raise a stink, more wondering if I am off base here having already paid for the first item.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

He is past the point of making a claim on PayPal or ebay? Feedback? How much $ are we talking about? Thing is your fact pattern would be no different had he contacted you the next week. You'd still have no idea if he was full of it. 

A little over $50. The time period doesn't make a big difference to me other than the fact that my memory is hazier, and it (1) gives more time for confusion on my end, and (2) gives more time for the other person to have made their own mistakes (like if he had opened it and forgotten where he put stuff). I mean, if somebody honestly were missing an item I wouldn't want to say, "Sorry, you passed the deadline, too bad sucker!" (I am probably going to refund the full $50-something and chalk it up to the usual Murphy's Law of eBay.)

The other thing that makes me feel suspicious (perhaps just paranoid) is that this coincidentally happened the day after I came on the forums and complained about a couple of sellers I felt were dishonest. One is somebody who seems to have a pattern of backing out of sales (a history of doing so and lying about the reasons), and another is somebody who pretty obviously shill-bidded their own item. The very day after I posted about these two, one of my own buyers comes out of the woodwork to say an item is missing. Most likely just a coincidence, but the timing sure made me feel suspicious.

I am leaning toward thinking that I accidentally shipped to the wrong person (which is hard to admit because I am rigorous and rarely screw up, and when I do screw up, it makes me pissed off at myself!), and the person who received it doesn't want to have to ship it back (a free book is cool and it's not their fault it was sent to them, right?) and so has lied about not receiving it.

The whole thing kind of made my Christmas Eve weekend with family a little bit sucky. Either I am getting scammed, or I did something incompetent when I thought I had things under control.

Well at this point I consider the comic to be stolen from me. I am out the comic and out $53.76, so basically that's theft. I don't know who took it. Could be the buyer scamming me 1.5 months after the fact, or could be some other buyer not admitting he got the wrong comic, or could be it was stolen from the mail. Either way, it's theft. If you see a copy of Nellie the Nurse #11 like the one in this photo, please let me know. I figure the person who stole it might try to resell it eventually.

nellie-the-nurse-11-stolen.jpg

Edited by Doohickamabob
added detail

Won an auction last night and for the first time am being dinged Sales Tax by Ebay for shipping to Washington State (just as Comiclink and Heritage have both started doing). Being Canadian, having a mailbox in WA was the only thing keeping me from the money-hungry jaws of the Ebay Global Shipping program. With the extra 10% now being levied on any Ebay wins (like a reverse coupon), looks like I'm down to just these boards as a place to find comics online where I'm on equal financial footing as other collectors. :sorry: