• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

I find ebay store pricing so frustrating. Did they want to clean out all the mid-level sellers of collectibles like comics? $60 a month for 1000 listings. Sure, this is fine if you only have hot stuff or GA or whatever and it moves, but to be able to sell $3-10 comics you need to have a lot to offer so that folks can combine and save on shipping. If you sell 50 comics a month out of 1,000 (which actually is not a bad ratio...5% turnover a month is 60% for the year) that average $6 each that is a whopping $300 (and $6 might be optimistic). $42 goes to ebay and paypal fees. Subract $60 and you're clearing a whopping $200 for a fair amount of work and that doesn't even include likely losses on shipping expenses, cost of your product, and losses if anything gets returned.. Weren't stores much less expensive about 15 years ago? Anyway, I'm just whining, I know. They don't want a vast amount ofcheap  clutter, but that's exactly what they get with mycomicshops and milehigh's low end offerings anyway. $3,000 for a 100,000 item store? You might as well pay rent on a brick and mortar.

5 hours ago, marmat said:

A possible buyer send me an offer of $18 for an item that I listed for $16 hm

I always presumed the "best offer" was to throw out a lower offer. I did this recently (I think the items was $15 and I offered $13). User countered with $25. They didn't have a buy it now price, so maybe the seller looked at the best offer as an opportunity for bidder to make a higher offer so as to not go through the bidding window. I declined...but it was definitely a first experience with a counter that was more expensive than the listed price.

5 hours ago, marmat said:

I've been seeing a lot more auctions that have a starting bid and also a Best Offer.

If you're browsing it can be confusing, because usually it's a BIN and Best Offer.

Maybe what happened is somebody thought they were looking at an auction and Best Offer when it was a BIN and Best Offer. If so, they probably were trying to offer a little more than the starting bid.

So I just spent 30 minutes (at 3 a.m.) cutting cardboard sheets out on my porch in sub arctic temperatures in my shorts to use inside my gemini mailers because I am too cheap to buy their pads (which seems too small for silver age bags/boards). So I was cutting them to be 7.25 x 11 using one I cut as a template. Somewhere along the line these wound up growing to 8 inches wide... To wide for the mailers. Now I will need to trim 50 of these. Uhg

30 minutes ago, the blob said:

So I just spent 30 minutes (at 3 a.m.) cutting cardboard sheets out on my porch in sub arctic temperatures in my shorts to use inside my gemini mailers because I am too cheap to buy their pads (which seems too small for silver age bags/boards). So I was cutting them to be 7.25 x 11 using one I cut as a template. Somewhere along the line these wound up growing to 8 inches wide... To wide for the mailers. Now I will need to trim 50 of these. Uhg

What are you using, scissors? If so, upgrade to clippers -- it works way better on cardboard.

cardbored.jpg

Edited by Doohickamabob

2 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

When you're trimming cardboard edges and whatnot, clippers are a good choice. Just my expert (non-expert) advice.

Garden clippers? I used to have one of those big terrifying  paper cutters, but got rid of it, no way I wanted that in the same house as my kids

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Garden clippers? I used to have one of those big terrifying  paper cutters, but got rid of it, no way I wanted that in the same house as my kids

No, they're more like industrial-grade scissors, but larger and thicker than scissors. I think they're for things like cutting sheet metal or chicken wire, but they work great on cardboard. Home Depot would have them in the same area as box cutters and such. (I wouldn't want kids to have access to them either.)

Edited by Doohickamabob

11 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

No, they're more like industrial-grade scissors, but larger and thicker than scissors. I think they're for things like cutting sheet metal or chicken wire, but they work great on cardboard. Home Depot would have them in the same area as box cutters and such. (I wouldn't want kids to have access to them either.)

I am relegated to cutting carboard on the porch as my wife doesn't want cardboard snippets all over the house. Right now it is freezing. So I figure those clippers might be hard to close as my hands will be frozen. I know I need to replace some of my porch screens, but I can't do it in the cold, it hurts my hand too much to pull the trigger on my heavy duty stapler (I know, I am taking whining to a new level.)

With a sharp blade, as Bird says, it is pretty quick work, even in arctic temperatures. This blade was not so sharp, however. I need to find my blade box. I also cut my finger, ignored it, and noticed the next day it is slightly infected, Yay! All because I don't want to pay 15 cents a board to the folks at Gemini. There is something wrong with me.

Really pathetic: My son bought a computer monitor. It came double boxed in a huge Amazon box. I eyeballed it and was salivating over the prospect of chopping it up. However, the way to maximize the # of potential pads (and cut it up the quickest and easiest) does not work because the panels are 10.5 inches wide and I need 11 to fit a bag/board. I look upward and curse! All this to save 15 cents a board. I need mental health help.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:41 PM, marmat said:

I made an offer for five bucks less than the asking price on a comic recently, thought better of it right after and just bought it at asking price. :facepalm:

It was a $29 BIN.

I don’t know why I did this. I’ve never offered only a buck lower though. That’s just a little too nitty...

18 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I made an offer for five bucks less than the asking price on a comic recently, thought better of it right after and just bought it at asking price. :facepalm:

It was a $29 BIN.

I don’t know why I did this. I’ve never offered only a buck lower though. That’s just a little too nitty...

I get offers all the time and while I am mulling someone pays full ask. They want to lock it down now!

Comic taped to a single piece of thin cardboard. Inevitable results. The book was lower grade anyway and the bend was not creases in, but that shipping method is a great way to get a detached staple. Probably though sending in a semi padded envelope cured it all. I should point this out to the seller and with $2.66 shipping I should have expected this, but he was cool about cancelling a purchase, re-listing, etc so I could use a 15% off coupon so I am not going to raise a stink. It was a $30something SA book though

20190114_101021_HDR.jpg

20190114_101012_HDR.jpg

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

Has ebay given up on giving away extra free listings to spur activity or have the decided coupons and ebay bucks are how they will do it?

Makes sense if they did since they seem to have no problem finding sellers but are in need of more buyers.