• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Makes sense if they did since they seem to have no problem finding sellers but are in need of more buyers.

Those free listings spurred a lot of activity though. And more money flowing back and forth (it isn't like I don't spend at least 25% of my ebay sales back on ebay most of the time) gives ebay more chances to snag 10%.  At least when they spread them apart enough so as to not oversaturate. I sold a ton of stuff with them. Give me something ebay... 100 10 cent auctions if opening under $10?

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Those free listings spurred a lot of activity though. At least when they spread them apart enough so as to not oversaturate. I sold a ton of stuff with them. Give me something ebay... 100 10 cent auctions if opening under $10?

Isn't a starter store 100 listings per month for $4.95 (if you pay for the whole year)?  Not free but 5 cents a listing is definitely not a killer.

55 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Isn't a starter store 100 listings per month for $4.95 (if you pay for the whole year)?  Not free but 5 cents a listing is definitely not a killer.

Well, really it is 10 cents a listing because you already get 50 free. If they gave 150 listings I would probably do it for $4.95. 50-75 store items. And then I would run 40-50 auctions every 2 weeks or so, although I feel like you really need to run 100 auctions at once (if you don't have a huge store offering) to give people enough things to bid on to spread shipping costs, although a curated 50 can work too.

35 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, really it is 10 cents a listing because you already get 50 free. If they gave 150 listings I would probably do it for $4.95. 50-75 store items. And then I would run 40-50 auctions every 2 weeks or so, although I feel like you really need to run 100 auctions at once (if you don't have a huge store offering) to give people enough things to bid on to spread shipping costs, although a curated 50 can work too.

I never ever get buyers taking extra things to combine shipping. NEVER. I often send an email offering a % off (15-20%) for extra purchases and no one has even taken me up on that!

I find I sell an average of 1 item a day or so when I have 50+ listings going but I price to move.

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

I never ever get buyers taking extra things to combine shipping. NEVER. I often send an email offering a % off (15-20%) for extra purchases and no one has even taken me up on that!

I find I sell an average of 1 item a day or so when I have 50+ listings going but I price to move.

I had a pretty busy (for me) first 6 months of 2018 with a bunch of comic sales.  I was charging $6 for shipping and "I always combine shipping for multiple comic purchases" was a standard part of my listings.  I also tried the email thing, with discount, after a purchase and said I can ship a 2nd book for no additional shipping.  NEVER had any replies.  Most of my books were $5 - 20 (obo) .  It didn't make sense to me that nobody ever added another book.  Still baffles me. 

Edited by Spidey 62

24 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have sold a bunch lately (for me -- 26 comics sold in the last 2 weeks, out of about 70 BIN listings). People have bought multiple items to combine and save on shipping. I used to do free shipping for $50 an over combined and people would buy stuff to get over $50 (I guess free is better than just combined). I have three high bids on a boardie's stuff and am terrified I will just win one and get stuck with $6.50 shipping. If I win all 3 it evens out, even 2 is ok. But $6.50 plus just any one of the books I might win blows them up. But auctions of inexpensive books are a bit different than store sales. I would like to run a bunch of $4.99 starting bid auctions of decent stuff like a certain flying fried pastry fellow does. Nothing I would be upset not getting more than the $4.99 opening bid. Throw $5 shipping into those and a lot of those books really aren't worth $9.99 to anyone. Win 5 of them and it's just $1 a book shipping...those are good at a total cost of $5.99 each. With that said, my store items are mostly $20+ with a few $15-$18 books, so $5 shipping is not as big a deal for any of those.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, Bird said:

just got a new offer, 100 listings for a nickel each starts tomorrow and ends 1/20. neener neener!

Hmmm, maybe it's just that I only started actively listing again in December. I am about 35 sales in and I got my first scammer/return item. I'm so excited!

Someone paid me with ebay bucks. Now he is attempting a return, showing damage to the cover that is just not possible (the auction had a high res front and back cover scan that I took just before listing) given that he does not claim the gemini mailer was eaten by a pitbull or there was any evidence of damage or it being opened up prior to him getting it (and no, it was not sent media mail). we're talking about a $50 book, so I am irritated. ANYWAY...will the refund be in real money or will he just get back ebay bucks? Could that be the motivation here, to convert ebay bucks into cash? Guy has decent feedback and recent sellers have not had an issue with him, so I don't see a fraudulent operation going on. but seriously, if he wanted to just return the book he did not need to trash it to make his claim stick better. I will be getting the book back to see if it is indeed the same book. I think my scans were good enough to confirm this.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

What's the difference between ShipCover insurance and USPS insurance?  Ebay gives you the choice to use either, but their default (at least it was for me today) is ShipCover.

I'm not sure. I assume it would have to be different entities that you would be dealing with. I have had good luck with USPS, so I always change to that. And it's like $0.05 cheaper, ha.

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

How do you get rid of that stupid Best Offer option? I'm running your basic 7 day auction and never wanted a BIN price or Best Offer but yet there it is?

Check your listing, there is a box to check that you don't want best offer, ebay has made it default with it.....

On 1/17/2019 at 7:11 AM, BuzzKillington said:

If he paid in-full with eBay Bucks, he will receive a new certificate of the same amount that is valid for 21 days. If his motivation is to convert them to cash, he will quickly learn that it isn't possible.

Yep...I purchased a book with eBay bucks that was sold as a 1st print but was a 4th print. I mentioned it to the seller as an FYI to check the books. Didn't ask for a refund as I was ultimately interested in reading the book. He apologized and sent a full refund. I received an e-mail about it ... but it never showed in my account. I had to call eBay and talk to a representative for 25-30 minutes while they made the credit to the account. And yes, it was an eBay bucks certificate with the 21 day limit. 

3 hours ago, Leo-man said:

Yep...I purchased a book with eBay bucks that was sold as a 1st print but was a 4th print. I mentioned it to the seller as an FYI to check the books. Didn't ask for a refund as I was ultimately interested in reading the book. He apologized and sent a full refund. I received an e-mail about it ... but it never showed in my account. I had to call eBay and talk to a representative for 25-30 minutes while they made the credit to the account. And yes, it was an eBay bucks certificate with the 21 day limit. 

Thanks. My guess is that the rip on the back cover was caused by him somehow getting the book in or out of the bag or something and now I have to pay for it, because the book was clean when I scanned it. Don't have it in hand yet to make sure it is the same book. He sells good stuff on ebay, is probably a board member for all I know, so I don't think it is an outright scam.