• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, comics4all said:

that's some noob seller who doesn't have a clue!

This is after I had contacted her to be sure she put it in a sandwhich (at least) and she assured me that's what she does. I didn't provide enough details I guess.

"Substance and context is what counts. If a buyer leaves lots of negs, it could be because they're jerks...but it could just as easily be that they're fed up with the trash that is routinely sent out in comics, by people who don't know what they're doing...or worse: do."

I was a bit surprised on the last one because he is a real comic seller and shipping was $6.70 in a flat rate envelope. The comic had a $300 price sticker on it (I won it for a lot less than that, but it might be $300 in guide). By some miracle nobody tried to demolish it in transit, but those 2 thin pieces of cardboard would not have done much to protect. A couple more pieces of cardboard would have been nice, taped to avoid the comic from sliding. He was not charging for boxed delivery, so i don't expect it. I could have asked to pay more for a box. But 2 or 3 more pieces of free cardboard do not add to the flat rate postage.

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Anybody ever watch a listing that's at auction, with a BIN price, and at some point inexplicably raises the BIN price..? I'm triggered...

They might have realized the BIN was low? I recently started a $17.99 auction and had a $23.99 BIN. The book got bid up to $78. Go figure.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

They also jacked up shipping from Free to $20...

People are silly. A seller had a book at $30. I offered $23. It had been there months. The response was that it was already too low at $30. It continued to not sell for 2 months. Now it is $40. Still has not sold.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

People are silly. A seller had a book at $30. I offered $23. It had been there months. The response was that it was already too low at $30. It continued to not sell for 2 months. Now it is $40. Still has not sold.

But unless you need the money then what harm is there to the seller to hold out for $30 (or even $40 if the price seems to be going up)?  6 months cost what - $0.35 in listing fees.  I do agree some e-bay sellers are just smoking crack - $100 for a $2 beat up book.  But E-Bay has made it very easy to just keep relisting books month after month (no extra work other then clicking a few buttons every month for 200 relists). 

14 hours ago, the blob said:

This is after I had contacted her to be sure she put it in a sandwhich (at least) and she assured me that's what she does. I didn't provide enough details I guess.

Does she normally sell comics? I find that people who sell “collectibles” as opposed to pure comic sellers get the packaging wrong the majority of the time.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But unless you need the money then what harm is there to the seller to hold out for $30 (or even $40 if the price seems to be going up)?  6 months cost what - $0.35 in listing fees.  I do agree some e-bay sellers are just smoking crack - $100 for a $2 beat up book.  But E-Bay has made it very easy to just keep relisting books month after month (no extra work other then clicking a few buttons every month for 200 relists). 

If it sells, sure, but there is a time value to money. If she is holding out for a few extra bucks and is paying 17.99% on her credit cards, which she could be paying down faster with my cash infusion, there is a cost to it. If you don't need money and just enjoy having listings that do not sell, then make it $200!

My ask prices on many books are probably high because you never know, sometimes people just hit the BIN. This may scare some people off. But I am pretty negotiable.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Does she normally sell comics? I find that people who sell “collectibles” as opposed to pure comic sellers get the packaging wrong the majority of the time.

She sells some comics. It is not her bread and butter. Probably whatever she can find on the cheap at a yard sale she can flip. Anyway, I just found it odd to go through the trouble of cutting cardboard and then do that. It was in one of those semi-padded envelopes, so she probably thought she was doing me a favor. It was a $25 purchase.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

She sells some comics. It is not her bread and butter. Probably whatever she can find on the cheap at a yard sale she can flip. Anyway, I just found it odd to go through the trouble of cutting cardboard and then do that. It was in one of those semi-padded envelopes, so she probably thought she was doing me a favor. It was a $25 purchase.

It must be genetic, if you're a flea market type seller on eBay you have to pack comics like krap.

I now avoid those sellers like the plague. if I'm looking at a new seller and I see photos, license plates from several states and bottle caps in their listed items I just move on. I got burned too much taking risks with those types of sellers. 

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It must be genetic, if you're a flea market type seller on eBay you have to pack comics like krap.

I now avoid those sellers like the plague. if I'm looking at a new seller and I see photos, license plates from several states and bottle caps in their listed items I just move on. I got burned too much taking risks with those types of sellers. 

Low grade copy of a book I like. The price was right. I got lucky it did not get some sort of major impact damage that detached a staple or something. Which I suppose could happen anyway. I got pretty lucky with 3 not so great packing jobs. The last one was the best of the worst I suppose...but that was a book that guides for over $300 in that condition! (I got lucky in the auction)

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
2 hours ago, the blob said:

If the book was there at $30 obo, it is foolish to at least no counter his $23 offer.  But if it was a straight BIN and he just did the message offer, then the seller can try to hold out for whatever he wants.  However unreasonable his expectations may be. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

If the book was there at $30 obo, it is foolish to at least no counter his $23 offer.  But if it was a straight BIN and he just did the message offer, then the seller can try to hold out for whatever he wants.  However unreasonable his expectations may be. 

It sounds like he countered the $23 offer with $30 since the seller felt it was a deal at that price.  What book are we talking about, Blob?

43 minutes ago, the blob said:

If it sells, sure, but there is a time value to money. If she is holding out for a few extra bucks and is paying 17.99% on her credit cards, which she could be paying down faster with my cash infusion, there is a cost to it. If you don't need money and just enjoy having listings that do not sell, then make it $200!

My ask prices on many books are probably high because you never know, sometimes people just hit the BIN. This may scare some people off. But I am pretty negotiable.

There are definitely people that go the price it at $200 and hope for a sucker or at least a guy who offers 50% off thinking he is getting a steal.  The guy offering it at $30 and not accepting the $23 offer does not sound like that kind of guy.  That is a good point about people could use that money to pay off dept but lets assume the person is liquid and could either keep the books in comics or buy stocks or bonds (or other investments).  A $23 to $30 increase is what - a 30% increase in realized price?  It would take 2 or 3 years to get that kind of return on the standard good stock investment.  I'm more with you in the camp that would rather sell a ton of books not at top dollar but I can see why people hold on to their books so tightly.

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It sounds like he countered the $23 offer with $30 since the seller felt it was a deal at that price.  What book are we talking about, Blob?

My secret! It's a book that, admittedly, is pretty high in OPG, but nobody is paying close to it. I have long or middle term project thinking going on with it. Not a quick flip. I am going to age them like a fine stinky cheese. Look how well I did on Thor 339?

I started watching a book about a week ago with an initial buy-it-now of $100. I thought that was probably a good deal but was going to think on it, heck maybe a coupon would push me over the edge. Next time I looked, a couple days later, it was $140 so I messaged the seller asking “am I going crazy or did you increase the price by 40%?” because I was legitimately questioning my memory. He said “go see a doctor LOL”, and I assumed that meant it was always that price and I was losing my mind. A couple days later and it was $210. I messaged “$210?! Now I know you’re just messing with me”, and he replied “thanks”. I didn’t know what to make of his response...or his listing tactics for that matter. (shrug) Safe to say I’m no longer a watcher...

7 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I started watching a book about a week ago with an initial buy-it-now of $100. I thought that was probably a good deal but was going to think on it, heck maybe a coupon would push me over the edge. Next time I looked, a couple days later, it was $140 so I messaged the seller asking “am I going crazy or did you increase the price by 40%?” because I was legitimately questioning my memory. He said “go see a doctor LOL”, and I assumed that meant it was always that price and I was losing my mind. A couple days later and it was $210. I messaged “$210?! Now I know you’re just messing with me”, and he replied “thanks”. I didn’t know what to make of his response...or his listing tactics for that matter. (shrug) Safe to say I’m no longer a watcher...

It's very hard to tell how people will react. Sometimes we all take things the wrong way.

I would consider messaging the seller when you saw it go up to 140 and asking if you can buy it for 100 at a BIN ?

Make a real offers instead of criticizing a seller or asking "will you take less" or " what's the lowest you'll go"