• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Please elaborate on the discount referenced that’s apparently linked to accepting returns...? Not tracking...

If you are a power seller, with top rated plus ratings, you get 10% off your selling fees. I've been a power seller since the program started. They used to give you 20% off your fees, but decided people would rather have 10% and the ability to pay for advertising (seriously, they told me that on the phone).

So...I will most probably no longer be a power seller soon, because the 10% is not worth having to drive myself crazy mailing the next day, especially when people pay at 2:56 am because they are on Pacific time and I'm on EST time.

That's OK, because I find myself listing there less and less.

Edited by skypinkblu
spelling

35 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

If you are a power seller, with top rated plus ratings, you get 10% off your selling fees. I've been a power seller since the program started. They used to give you 20% off your fees, but decide people would rather have 10% and the ability to pay for advertising (seriously, they told me that on the phone).

So...I will most probably no longer be a power seller soon, because the 10% is not worth having to drive myself crazy mailing the next day, especially when people pay at 2:56 am because they are on Pacific time and I'm on EST time.

That's OK, because I find myself listing there less and less.

I am also a power seller. Exactly... Let's say you sell a $500 book... let's look at this. Now... eBay gets $50 as that is the 10%... to jump through hoops and drive myself nuts... 10% of that 10% is $5...

I would do all that to save $5 

I will just raise the prices... 

16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

So...I will most probably no longer be a power seller soon, because the 10% is not worth having to drive myself crazy mailing the next day,

especially when people pay at 2:56 am because they are on Pacific time and I'm on EST time.

Did you have to humiliate me in public?

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Rhetorical question of the day: why do people send messages asking how much will you take, when you have the "Make offer" option enabled...?

I think its the same reason people walk up to dealers and ask them what the lowest they will go.  They don't want to make an offer for 20% off and they guy was willing to take 25% off.  In other words people are just plain cheap and only getting cheaper.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think its the same reason people walk up to dealers and ask them what the lowest they will go.  They don't want to make an offer for 20% off and they guy was willing to take 25% off.  In other words people are just plain cheap and only getting cheaper.

THIS + LAZY/NOT OFFEND.  For example if you have something listed for $100 but they are hoping for $60 but would actually be willing to pay upwards of $85 but fear that by offering $60 would get them both an auto-decline or an pending response (not auto-declined) that might illicit an offense to the seller due to it possibly being too low and thus get a block by the seller or a have to wait for a reply or declined offer.  They feel it easier just to ask rather than go through all that and the whole walking their offer at $5 increments up to say $70 in auto-declines and are only given 1 more best offer choice (used to be max 4 in the past but think they've allowed 7 or more) they then have to decide if they want to jump to their max best offer or risk an auto decline for $75.  If they jump to their max or even $80, they may bypass your lowest non-auto decline offer and possible auto-accept offer.

So in short, Fear of overshooting your lowest acceptable offer + Laziness and not wanting to offend and be blocked.  So to bypass all that mess, they just ask.  I'm glad to then use ebay's new make an offer to a buyer feature whereby I then send them what I will accept and let them decide. 

34 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Rhetorical question of the day: why do people send messages asking how much will you take, when you have the "Make offer" option enabled...?

I do this on high-priced purchases, but I usually throw a number out there. And I only do it to see how much I'll have to save up, if the item remains available in the near-future.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am also a power seller. Exactly... Let's say you sell a $500 book... let's look at this. Now... eBay gets $50 as that is the 10%... to jump through hoops and drive myself nuts... 10% of that 10% is $5...

I would do all that to save $5 

I will just raise the prices... 

I bailed on being a power seller long ago for that very reason and why I've had to jack up prices.  Even using a 20% built in ebay markup is not worth my time especially for low dollar items.  Selling books at cost or competing against volume sellers is not worth my time.  At a certain point you have to realize that ebay is transforming sellers into its franchise employees.  If ebay makes more off your sale than you do, then you are working for ebay.  If you sell a book for $500 which you were into for $400 total and you have to pay $50 to ebay, $15.30 to paypal, and another $17 for shipping/handling/insurance, you're NET profit is $18.  Everyone from ebay to paypal to USPS just made money at their accepted profit margin.  You may have made an 4.5% profit which might normally be acceptable but it's still at a huge cost.  Even if you're item only cost $370 and you're making a 12% profit, you're barely matching what ebay made off you're sale.

The way businesses make money is buying wholesale and selling retail giving them a very comfortable profit margin of anywhere from 30-60%.  why should ebay be any different?  Some of us may just want to get rid of stuff which is fine as long as you don't mind dealing with customers and shipping.  but to actually make selling on ebay worth jumping through the hoops you've got to be making more off your stuff than ebay.  At this point I'm only bothering to list something that is worth the effort on there or something I just want to get rid of at any price.  So unless you're just trying to blow out stock and cover shipping, you're better off only high-margin high-demand stuff that you already have a comfortable margin on.  10% off ebay fees, bah! 

It sucks but you almost have to double the price of anything you have which I'm sure ebay would be just fine with.

I think folks are confusing terms here.

Anyone can be a PowerSeller as long as their feedback is in good standing and they meet the requirements of 100 transactions in 12 months and 2 or 3k in sales. (I forget which.) To be a Top Rated seller requires some hoop jumping - 1 day S&H, 30 day returns. Just being a PowerSeller doesn’t qualify for their minimal discount, you need to be Top Rated as well.

Also, if you as a seller are paying $17 out of pocket for shipping your product, you’re doing it wrong. Shipping should be paid by the buyer or baked into your sale price if you offer free shipping so you’re making the margin you need to.

Anybody else getting this bs message with their latest ebay listing:

• To help you sell your item, fixed price listings can only be listed with a Good 'Til Cancelled duration. The listing duration has been set to Good 'Til Cancelled
There are no other options!! I can no longer choose 30 day listing. Is there a way around this???

12 hours ago, boomtown said:

Anybody else getting this bs message with their latest ebay listing:

• To help you sell your item, fixed price listings can only be listed with a Good 'Til Cancelled duration. The listing duration has been set to Good 'Til Cancelled
There are no other options!! I can no longer choose 30 day listing. Is there a way around this???

That is correct. It sucks and does not work with my model at all. There's been some discussion about it, scroll back a page or so. Basic workaround is to cancel it yourself just shy of the 30 day mark. Good ol' ebay management, helping its sellers.

Just got a paypal email stating a case was opened against me from a comic buyer I sold to 7 weeks ago.  I got an automated response that I am protected by paypal seller protection but still shows an open case with a resolution date one month out. 

buyer ebay ID is kipag-1

Used the shipping address 

5734 w Palo Verde ave
Glendale AZ 85302

Often times someone has their credit card stolen and items are bought by the thief then sent to some address, whether it is their own or not, I am not sure. 
There are two completely different names showing up, one is Kim Page and the other Paul Rettinger.  They used Paul in the shipping address but Kim is registered to the ebay account.  I am going to guess Kim Page is likely the inactive ebay account that was hacked and used to buy items with a stolen credit card.  Whether Paul Rettinger is even a real person who knows.

Remember to block these ebay accounts by going into
https://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Are we maintaining a list of blocked bidders on the boards?
Edited by 90sChild

5 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Just got a paypal email stating a case was opened against me from a comic buyer I sold to 7 weeks ago.  I got an automated response that I am protected by paypal seller protection but still shows an open case with a resolution date one month out. 

buyer ebay ID is kipag-1

Used the shipping address 

5734 w Palo Verde ave
Glendale AZ 85302

Often times someone has their credit card stolen and items are bought by the thief then sent to some address, whether it is their own or not, I am not sure. 
There are two completely different names showing up, one is Kim Page and the other Paul Rettinger.  They used Paul in the shipping address but Kim is registered to the ebay account.  I am going to guess Kim Page is likely the inactive ebay account that was hacked and used to buy items with a stolen credit card.  Whether Paul Rettinger is even a real person who knows.

Remember to block these ebay accounts by going into
https://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Are we maintaining a list of blocked bidders on the boards?

After being pretty active December - early February I have once again lost my ebay drive. I even passed on buying a pretty easy Ebay $20-25 sale for $5 from a street guy. I just didn't feel like sinking $5 into it. And I knew it would just go into the limitless "to sell" pile and not get listed.

Perhaps everyone else was aware of this but thought I’d post a heads-up just in case:

As was posted a couple of weeks ago, krap-bay instituted a policy in which Buy-It-Now listings can only have Good ‘Til Canceled as the duration. 

I had some BIN listings end Friday that were 30-day listings. These listings were created and posted well BEFORE krap-bay instituted their new policy. 

I just discovered that, without my consent or authorization, krap-bay RETROACTIVELY applied their new policy and unilaterally re-listed those items. 

And, because I was out of insertion fee-free listings for the month, they just nailed me for fees on those listings. 

So you’ll need to keep an eye on when your BIN listings end regardless of when they were created in relation to this new policy. 

Received an offer for a book I’m selling that I want to accept, but it’s from a user with only one feedback (positive, and based off the seller’s name for that transaction it was also a comic). It’s a 4 figure book. Would you do it?

Edited by Callaway29