• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Received an offer for a book I’m selling that I want to accept, but it’s from a user with only one feedback (positive, and based off the seller’s name for that transaction it was also a comic). It’s a 4 figure book. Would you do it?

Yikes. I don't wanna say "no", but...

48 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yikes. I don't wanna say "no", but...

That sums it up. There's what I want to do, and what I should do...they are in conflict. One shoulder the devil is whispering "everyone starts somewhere, just because they have low feedback doesn't mean they are dishonest" and on the other shoulder the angel whispering "it's a toss-away account, they probably bought one $5 comic to establish good-faith and are now trying to scam me out of my 4-figure book".

BUT, something just came to me...from a psychology standpoint. If they were trying to scam me, would they really haggle me over shipping? They put in an offer $200 below ask, I said no my ask was my best, and now they're offering full ask but are requesting free shipping...and then stated every dollar counts. That makes me think it's legit...scammer would just buy/pay, and then scam away.

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

That sums it up. There's what I want to do, and what I should do...they are in conflict. One shoulder the devil is whispering "everyone starts somewhere, just because they have low feedback doesn't mean they are dishonest" and on the other shoulder the angel whispering "it's a toss-away account, they probably bought one $5 comic to establish good-faith and are now trying to scam me out of my 4-figure book".

BUT, something just came to me...from a psychology standpoint. If they were trying to scam me, would they really haggle me over shipping? They put in an offer $200 below ask, I said no my ask was my best, and now they're offering full ask but are requesting free shipping...and then stated every dollar counts. That makes me think it's legit...scammer would just buy/pay, and then scam away.

I wouldn't put too much faith into that.  The change from wanting to pay $200 less to paying full ask minus shipping could also be a flag.  I'm probably going to be leaning towards the run away side of things but then again I just had a chargeback from someone last week with only 5 feedback.  
If you really want to sell it, try taking the precaution of filming the item in the as-described condition then placing it into the box, seal it, and mail it, get a receipt from the post office for drop off.  Make sure you have tracking, insurance, and signature confirmation.  Make sure your paypal account qualifies for seller protection. (I'm not sure how they figure that out).  Do all that and you might be ok.

50 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Don’t try and talk yourself into it. 

If I was buying a 4-figure book I wouldn’t haggle over shipping. This is mail order, shipping is just the cost of getting the book to me. 

I wouldn’t do it. 

Edited by Number 6

Not to belabor the point but...

He tried to negotiate a discount on the price. 

You told him you were firm on the price. 

He said ‘ok, since I can’t get a discount on the price I want free shipping’

There is no such thing as “free shipping”. USPS doen’t offer “free shipping” as one of their shipping options. (You can probably thank eBay for indoctrinating buyers into believing there is such a thing)

The only way to give “free shipping” is by reducing the price of your book by the shipping amount cost.

So essentially he’s asking you to reduce the price of the book after you just told him you wouldn’t do that. 

Perhaps I’m too cautious but a 1-feedback buyer who can’t take “no” for an answer wanting to purchase a 4-figure book?

I’d pass. 

do:

Pack it well

send it registered mail

pay for recipient signature confirmation meaning only the person whose name is on the to label can sign for it

Not sure if this is admissible as evidence for eBay as I've heard them decline video in the past but try:

capture nonstop video showing you entering the postoffice, packing the actual comic into the box, sealing the box all without ever allowing the comic and/or package to be out of frame, and finally handing it to the USPS clerk, paying the shipping charges, and receiving the receipt, and the clerk stamping registered all over it and putting it in the back and you leaving the post office.

this works best with a gopro type camera but I've done it awkwardly with a cell phone. never had to use it but should be pretty undeniable evidence.

Fyi, some postal centers frown on video taping on their premises so be sure to get their permission first.

47 minutes ago, justafan said:

do:

Pack it well

send it registered mail

pay for recipient signature confirmation meaning only the person whose name is on the to label can sign for it

Not sure if this is admissible as evidence for eBay as I've heard them decline video in the past but try:

capture nonstop video showing you entering the postoffice, packing the actual comic into the box, sealing the box all without ever allowing the comic and/or package to be out of frame, and finally handing it to the USPS clerk, paying the shipping charges, and receiving the receipt, and the clerk stamping registered all over it and putting it in the back and you leaving the post office.

this works best with a gopro type camera but I've done it awkwardly with a cell phone. never had to use it but should be pretty undeniable evidence.

Fyi, some postal centers frown on video taping on their premises so be sure to get their permission first.

There was some discussion in the past the revealed that videotaping at the Post Office isn’t the slam-dunk CYA we would assume it would be. 

As you say, in addition to asking your postal clerk about permission to film, you may want to explain why you’re doing so and ask if such would really protect you in the event of a switch-a-roo fraud attempt. 

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I declined the offer and then she bought it outright. Waiting for payment now (she told me she’s moving money around and it will be tomorrow/Wednesday before she can pay)....and so the journey begins lol. Wish me luck...

Hope you get paid. :wishluck:

Last time I had someone win over 1k of merchandise and delayed payment while they “moved money around” turned out to be a stall tactic while they tried to find similar items cheaper. 

They eneded up not paying. 

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I declined the offer and then she bought it outright. Waiting for payment now (she told me she’s moving money around and it will be tomorrow/Wednesday before she can pay)....and so the journey begins lol. Wish me luck...

I dealt with a horrible lady on ebay 2 months ago too... message me your buyers name and I can check if she's on my  block buyer's list. 

15 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I always snicker at these 4-figure listings that don't have "free shipping". Honestly, just factor shipping into your total listing price, and you'll get more serious looks. It's some Dranzer BS that even I subscribe to (and I have no idea why).

If you do make the sale I hope all goes well.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I always snicker at these 4-figure listings that don't have "free shipping". Honestly, just factor shipping into your total listing price, and you'll get more serious looks. It's some Dranzer BS that even I subscribe to (and I have no idea why).

If you do make the sale I hope all goes well.

Free shipping is a non-factor imo. Whether I add it to the price of the book or calculate it separate, my calculations and end result are the same. (shrug)

Just now, Callaway29 said:

Free shipping is a non-factor imo. Whether I add it to the price of the book or calculate it separate, my calculations and end result are the same. (shrug)

Oh, I know, but there's some stupid psychology that makes buyers think the "better purchase" is the one with free shipping.

know it makes no sense, but I even find myself constantly subscribing to that way of buying. lol

I tend to steer clear of free shipping listings because my experience has been that those sellers tend to opt for the least expensive (ie bare minimum to no protective packing to keep the weight down) because the cost of shipping cuts into their profit on the book. 

I’d rather a seller just ask what he needs for the book itself and separate the shipping cost so I can get an idea of what method of shipping he’s using. 

If a “free shipping” listing is something I really want I’ll contact the seller and offer to pay more for shipping so I can get my desired method of shipping. 

The buyer sent me a screenshot of a 4-figure purchase she made two weeks ago on eBay as proof of trustworthiness. She has yet to receive feedback for the transaction, nor did the screenshot include her user name. I found the book in completed sales and contacted the seller. They confirmed the transaction was smooth. Things are looking up...

19 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
On 4/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, DR.X said:

hope you get paid. :wishluck:

On 4/2/2019 at 1:33 PM, TwoPiece said:

Gettin' paid, gettin' ____.

She requested cancellation today. Supposedly due to technical complications with PayPal. :taptaptap:

It smelled from the start when she/it said they had to move money around.