• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

So I got a graded book up and it's the only one to be found on the bay at the moment.

It's currently priced (including with shipping) 10% lower than any of the last three bay sales of the same book/grade and also 10% lower than 90day gpa.

I charge $20 for shipping slabs to include insurance and sig-rec (often times I eat the difference since it often costs more that $20 to ship depending on location).

Guy keeps emailing me that he won't go above $15 for shipping. Basically he wants a $5 discount on a book that is already 10% below market and so I eat even more loss.

I don't get it. Am I being stingy?

Edited by jcjames

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

So I got a graded book up and it's the only one to be found on the bay at the moment.

It's currently priced (including with shipping) 10% lower than any of the last three bay sales of the same book/grade and also 10% lower than 90day gpa.

I charge $20 for shipping slabs to include insurance and sig-rec (often times I eat the difference since it often costs more that $20 to ship depending on location).

Guy keeps emailing me that he won't go above $15 for shipping. Basically he wants a $5 discount on a book that is already 10% below market and so I eat even more loss.

I don't get it. Am I being stingy?

I don’t think you’re being stingy. 

Whenever there’s a discussion about sellers charging a shipping “handling” fee or trying to pass on the PayPal fees to the buyer, the consensus is always ‘the seller should have that baked in to his book price’

You’ve done that. 

You know what you need out of the book, what the current FMV is, and what appropriate shipping charges are to get it from point A to point B safely. 

Unless you’re desperate for cash, I don’t see why you need to budge. 

I can understand a buyer making an attempt to negotiate on the price of the book. But once the seller makes it clear he’s firm on the price (especially in your case where the book is less than recent sales) then the buyer is the one who needs to decide if he’s going to be “stingy” and risk missing out on your book on the chance he can get it cheaper somewhere else. 

However, a buyer trying to negotiate the price of shipping doesn’t set as well with me. Your shipping price isn’t way out of line; your explanation of the cost is reasonable. 

Some buyers are very intent to nickel-and-dime on shipping cost when it’s time to pay. Then when the book ships they suddenly expect Cadillac shipping service. And if there’s the slightest delay or damage - even if such is clearly due their renegotiated cheaper shipping - they want drop all responsibility in the seller’s lap. 

I’d stick to your guns on your shipping cost. 

Some will probably strongly disagree with me, but if he’s tried numerous times to renegotiate shipping charges, I might be inclined to block him for fear he buys the book and then claims “damage” on receipt and asks for a partial refund to get his shipping discount on the back end. 

Edited by Number 6

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Whenever there’s a discussion about sellers charging a shipping “handling” fee or trying to pass on the PayPal fees to the buyer, the consensus is always ‘the seller should have that baked in to his book price’

You’ve done that. 

You know what you need out of the book, what the current FMV is, and what appropriate shipping charges are to get it from point A to point B safely. 

I can understand a buyer making an attempt to negotiate on the price of the book. But once the seller makes it clear he’s firm on the price (especially in your case where the book is less than recent sales) then the buyer is the one who needs to decide if he’s going to be “stingy” and risk missing out on your book on the chance he can get it cheaper somewhere else. 

However, a buyer trying to negotiate the price of shipping doesn’t set as well with me. Your shipping price isn’t way out of line; your explanation of the cost is reasonable. 

Some buyers are very intent to nickel-and-dime on shipping cost when it’s time to pay. Then when the book ships they suddenly expect Cadillac shipping service. And if there’s the slightest delay or damage - even if such is clearly due their renegotiated cheaper shipping - they want drop all responsibility in the seller’s lap. 

Some will probably strongly disagree with me, but if he’s tried numerous times to renegotiate shipping charges, I might be inclined to block him for fear he buys the book and then claims “damage” on receipt and asks for a partial refund to get his shipping discount on the back end. 

Hmm... he's offered me the same price 5 times in the past 24 hours, regardless of my responses.

I thought this was worth mentioning. Seller was selling this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-Joe-21-CGC-9-8-SS-X2-Larry-Hama-Steve-Leiahola-1st-Storm-Shadow-/264253634935?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

...which is a mislabeled 3rd printing. I notified the seller, and to his credit, he took the listing down.

In the sea of corruption that infests eBay, it was a welcome and refreshing change.

Beware! I know most seasoned collectors would notice, but unsuspecting or newbie buyers might fall for it! With all the new collectors out there, I felt it was only right to report it. Can you spot the misrepresentation? 

Screenshot_20190407-080407_eBay.jpg

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

8 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Beware! I know most seasoned collectors would notice, but unsuspecting or newbie buyers might fall for it! With all the new collectors out there, I felt it was only right to report it. Can you spot the misrepresentation? 

Screenshot_20190407-080407_eBay.jpg

This is so bad it makes me think the seller just has no clue what they’re doing... If intentional, wow...

Edited by Callaway29

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, Number 6 said:

You’ve done that. 

Does he live close enough that maybe your total cost is $15 and not $20? I know for me it is muuuuch more expensive to ship to the west coast than locally and I may factor that in when reviewing offers on books where I am giving free shipping or it is fixed. Is this an expensive book?

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Does he live close enough that maybe your total cost is $15 and not $20? I know for me it is muuuuch more expensive to ship to the west coast than locally and I may factor that in when reviewing offers on books where I am giving free shipping or it is fixed. Is this an expensive book?

Cross country.

And with insurance and sig-rec, it's actually already a bit of a shipping loss for me. 

I don't use shipping to make money, and I really don't want to lose much on shipping either. 

It's under $100 book 

Edited by jcjames

45 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Cross country.

And with insurance and sig-rec, it's actually already a bit of a shipping loss for me. 

I don't use shipping to make money, and I really don't want to lose much on shipping either. 

It's under $100 book 

I find myself losing $ to the west coast and maybe breaking even locally. Shipping is killing this hobby.

7 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Sniped again! Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species Platinum Ashcan (1:1000) was on eBay, I put in a decent bid, went down to the last five seconds...beat out by a dollar. When it comes to eBay, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

1:1000...? Where do you come up with that number?

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
8 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Sniped again! Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species Platinum Ashcan (1:1000) was on eBay, I put in a decent bid, went down to the last five seconds...beat out by a dollar. When it comes to eBay, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

1:1000...? Where do you come up with that number?

Nevermind, I see it was limited to 1,000, not a 1:1000 incentive. Gotcha. ;)

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

I saw that. Too bad I didn't see it beforehand, or it wouldn't have ended at $51.

:D

It was up for months and never sold at it’s starting price. I had found it for a $1 at HPB