• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Auto decline sucks.  I got auto declined on an action figure that was listed for 8.00, I offered 5.50, just seeing if I could get something shaved off.  Totally turned me off.  I would rather not have it from that seller, and the full price isn't that bad. 

As a seller, I never put a floor on the bidding.  I would rather counter $40 on a $45 book, after a $10 bid, just to see if the guy is serious.  Maybe for high quantity sellers it is an effort saver, but I don't like it. 

I've made the case, at great length, why auto-decline is a bad idea for sellers. But, hey, that's their call.

I auto-decline at 50% list price.

I always list at maximum recent sold price, but am always willing to sell below that (some people just BIN without an offer, so why put myself out of potentially extra profit!?). I won't entertain awful "Best Offers", though.

Ugh - e-bay just plain sucks.  I forgot to set a reminder and a batch of books auto relisted due to their stupid new changes.  I'm seriously considering spending me free time doing other stuff because the generally simple act of selling on e-bay has become a pain in the butt.

I've been using best offer less and less. Lately I've been leaning towards BIN with my lowest, and just setting-&-forgetting. HOWEVER, when eBay unilaterally determines I should be entertaining offers and changes my listing it's highly annoying. I literally cuss every time I get one of those notifications... Even without offers activated it's not uncommon for me to get messages from people trying to haggle... I get it, but at the same time...I feel like by me not accepting offers on my listing the message should be clear to buyers that I'm not accepting offers...so why message me?

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I've been using best offer less and less. Lately I've been leaning towards BIN with my lowest, and just setting-&-forgetting. HOWEVER, when eBay unilaterally determines I should be entertaining offers and changes my listing it's highly annoying. I literally cuss every time I get one of those notifications... Even without offers activated it's not uncommon for me to get messages from people trying to haggle... I get it, but at the same time...I feel like by me not accepting offers on my listing the message should be clear to buyers that I'm not accepting offers...so why message me?

E-bay has quickly become like selling at a bazaar in Mexico - everyone expects to haggle when they walk in the door.  I'd just set your price 15 - 20% over your want price and let the hagglers have their fun and still get your want price 95% of the time.  Bit more work but I find books just sit and sit if you don't allow the offers to come in (especially for the non CGC or key books)

45 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Even without offers activated it's not uncommon for me to get messages from people trying to haggle... I get it, but at the same time...I feel like by me not accepting offers on my listing the message should be clear to buyers that I'm not accepting offers...so why message me?

Something something dark side...

Something something complete...

34 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I had a guy send me the same offer 3 times (2 weeks apart each time). It was laughably low and I Declined without counter-offer.

I ended up wondering, "does he not realize this is the same seller..?"

I really don't think people keep track of who gets an offer.  It's kind of the dating numbers game that guys use to try back in college.  Throw as many offers as you can and hopefully someone will take you up on your offer.  Its just one of the pains of selling on e-bay right now.

Just now, 1Cool said:

I really don't think people keep track of who gets an offer.  It's kind of the dating numbers game that guys use to try back in college.  Throw as many offers as you can and hopefully someone will take you up on your offer.  Its just one of the pains of selling on e-bay right now.

Generally, I think you're right. I tried to sort this out when I was sending messages looking for a First Print book.

This particular item that I'm selling has been the only one on eBay in the last 5 months, though. Should be easy to keep track of, I would think.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - e-bay just plain sucks.  I forgot to set a reminder and a batch of books auto relisted due to their stupid new changes.  I'm seriously considering spending me free time doing other stuff because the generally simple act of selling on e-bay has become a pain in the butt.

Yeah, I was watching that closely. I ended mine the night they were scheduled to end, but I could very easily have forgotten and missed it. I would call and complain until they refund you. 

Funny thing...? On Friday....two days after I took down my soon-to-be-relisted-automatically listings? I got 200 free. 

I don't think that was a coincidence. 

11 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

My auction ended today for a NextMen21 CGC9.8 for $330. And immediately I get this message

BEDA50FD-29E6-4C9F-9BCB-B2BA64CCA0ED.jpeg

My response was do whatever you want. And then 

AABEF4A0-E54E-4AF9-A42B-BE58B042780D.jpeg

I canceled the deal but damn I hate getting my time wasted.

The fact that this guy was so quick to tell you you’d lose value on your book by opening a Dispute makes me think this is not the first Dispute he has had opened on him. 

You were very civilized in the face of assholry 

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The fact that this guy was so quick to tell you you’d lose value on your book by opening a Dispute makes me think this is not the first Dispute he has had opened on him. 

You were very civilized in the face of assholry 

His feed back shows he’s bought comics before or maybe it’s his 8 yr old. I’d change my password. B|

Really trying to decide how to handle giving feedback about a seller who took a week to ship something. 

Won it on April 12. Paid for it on April 12. 

Delivery estimate listed as 4-7 days. 

Tracking number provided on April 15

USPS got the package on April 22

Arrived today 4/24

So that's a delivery of 12 days... not 4-7 days. Largely cause he sat on the package for a week. And this is not some one off guy, he has 1200+ listings and 120+ items for sale at any given moment...

The thing is I'll probably buy from this guy again, so do I leave accurate feedback, no feedback? 

If you would buy from him again, I'd leave none, or just say thank you and give him a slow star rating.

A few months ago, I had no response from a seller who was supposed to send me some note cards. It was not expensive, she was about 2 weeks late. I gave her a negative, I don't think I've left one of those in years. She refunded and sent the cards anyway. Seems she had a baby that week. I felt awful, I told her to call ebay and I'd withdraw it, but she said it was her fault. Kind of restored my faith in some sellers.