• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2019 at 7:58 AM, TwoPiece said:

I don't understand it. Just start the auction at your minimum price. Waste of everyone's time.

The ONLY value to the seller for this is to see what the actual market interest price is for that item and how close it comes to their reserve price.  Then they can go ahead and decide if it's worth listing for a price that might sell.  Generally a waste of time but if it's a book that might be in high demand they don't risk leaving money on the table.  If it's a book that has little to no interest, they then know not to try selling it on ebay

One reason I might do this is if I had a rare comic that doesn't have much recent sales data on ebay or GPA I could put it up for auction with a ridiculous reserve price and see where the interest is and if it gets to where I'd be comfortable dropping the reserve price to near the current bid price I could do that or relist with it at that price.  If it shoots past my ridiculous reserve then I know I've not left any money on the table.  If I get nothing but crickets, then I have my answer.  The only downside is many will ignore auctions with reserve prices so it won't be a complete market view.

4 hours ago, justafan said:
On 5/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, TwoPiece said:

I don't understand it. Just start the auction at your minimum price. Waste of everyone's time.

The ONLY value to the seller for this is to see what the actual market interest price is for that item and how close it comes to their reserve price.  Then they can go ahead and decide if it's worth listing for a price that might sell.  Generally a waste of time but if it's a book that might be in high demand they don't risk leaving money on the table.  If it's a book that has little to no interest, they then know not to try selling it on ebay

One reason I might do this is if I had a rare comic that doesn't have much recent sales data on ebay or GPA I could put it up for auction with a ridiculous reserve price and see where the interest is and if it gets to where I'd be comfortable dropping the reserve price to near the current bid price I could do that or relist with it at that price.  If it shoots past my ridiculous reserve then I know I've not left any money on the table.  If I get nothing but crickets, then I have my answer.  The only downside is many will ignore auctions with reserve prices so it won't be a complete market view.

Seems you've talked yourself out of the potential value in a Reserve auction. Can't determine a real market interest/price if one is immediately turning off part of that base.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So, I recently bought something from a UK seller, and, as a buyer, I've never dealt with the Global Shipping Program. The seller sent me a picture of the package...not boxed, by the way, but merely "padded envelope", despite me asking for them to be protected, which is sure to equal disaster...and they didn't include the GSP reference # on the package. In fact, they simply wrote the UK address of the GSP by hand on the package.

That package is never going to arrive to me, is it...?

They sent me a picture of the package with a UK address, and at first I was confused, and said that I don't live in the UK, but in the US, and maybe orders got crossed...?

The response I got back was "you need to contact eBay", which, of course, always sends me into the boughs. I didn't buy from eBay, I bought from you; your first response should NOT be "you need to contact someone else to deal with this." You're the seller...if you're going to use the GSP, you should be informed about it, and let the customer know that that's the GSP address, and don't try to pawn off your responsibility to someone else.

Anyhoo. 

I'm never going to see those books, right?

Seller always ship to ebay’s Global processing center. As long as seller included the reference # on their label to ebay’s UK processing center - you will be receive - something :flamed:

7 minutes ago, Poka said:
14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...and they didn't include the GSP reference # on the package. In fact, they simply wrote the UK address of the GSP by hand on the package.

Seller always ship to ebay’s Global processing center. As long as seller included the reference # on their label to ebay’s UK processing center - you will be receive - something :flamed:

Yes, the US GSP processing center is in Kentucky, and I've shipped multiple packages there when I used it...but I always included the reference #.

This seller did not. I expect I'll never see these books.

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, the US GSP processing center is in Kentucky, and I've shipped multiple packages there when I used it...but I always included the reference #.

This seller did not. I expect I'll never see these books.

The GSP tends to open packages to check content. If lucky they included the ref # inside. If not, your only option is to file a claim once the estimated delivery time has passed

On 5/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, manetteska said:

Seems you've talked yourself out of the potential value in a Reserve auction. Can't determine a real market interest/price if one is immediately turning off part of that base.

lol, maybe a good thing, too, lest I got any funny ideas about using a reserve, myself. I do see some value, however, in using it to gauge interest. i just wanted to include a caveat. u can still get some info, just be aware it will be a limited market. 

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ha! eBay got me. Wasn't paying attention, and they got 76 automatic relists out of me with their new "good til cancelled" policy on ALL BIN listings.

lol

How charming of them.

they are making out like bandits.  We all say we will cancel at the last minute but how many of us forget and notice a couple days later.  Genius!

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

they are making out like bandits.  We all say we will cancel at the last minute but how many of us forget and notice a couple days later.  Genius!

I don't know how I forgot them...too many far more important things on my mind at the moment. I had them all ready to de-list on Monday, and blammo...right out of my head by yesterday, when they got relisted.

I've ended about 400 "listings" so far, but they caught me with 76. Yay for eBay, making it that much more difficult for sellers!

:applause:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Here we go again. Another “my son did it” cancellation request seconds after the book was won today. 

664A603B-038D-419B-8070-1CE92D774400.png

Just respond with "I understand...just take it out of his allowance for a few months.  I still expect payment within 5 days, or I will report as a non paying bidder, thanks"

Automatic Relists: I’ve done okay with remembering to cancel, but there has been a bunch I meant to do 'later that night' and forgot. Luckily, my monthly free listings plus the usual offers for additional free listings have absorbed the relists so i didn’t incur additional listing fees. I don't have a store, BTW.

3 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Here we go again. Another “my son did it” cancellation request seconds after the book was won today. 

All too common now. The modern version of my dog ate my homework. When I looked up the buyer sending me the message. " I am honestly not into comics"  , yet the last several feedback left for him as a buyer are from sellers who only sell comics.. Buckwheat says... " Otay!"  Just makes you want to send a toaster marked for bathtub use only.. 

Screenshot_20190522-155341~2.png

41 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

All too common now. The modern version of my dog ate my homework. When I looked up the buyer sending me the message. " I am honestly not into comics"  , yet the last several feedback left for him as a buyer are from sellers who only sell comics.. Buckwheat says... " Otay!"  Just makes you want to send a toaster marked for bathtub use only.. 

Screenshot_20190522-155341~2.png

It’s such a BS excuse. And it’s definitely becoming the go to. Just blame it on the kid.