• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,166 posts in this topic

Just received a request from a buyer requesting a refund. He says the USPS tracking shows the package as delivered but he doesn’t have it. He says sometimes that happens and it shows up a day or two later but this time it’s been four days. 

Seems like something that should have been a message to me and not an immediate request for a refund. Also seems like once tracking says delivered my responsibility as a seller is done. And who’s to say it isn’t sitting in his lap as he asks for his money back?

It was priority so there is basic insurance, but again, if the tracking says delivered how can I tell USPS it was lost?

I saw some homeless guy today trying to sell packages he apparently lifted off doorsteps.  His big selling point was they were 'unopened'.  I looked around for a cop but no such luck.  I got in a big debate with my LCS buddy who said cops wouldnt do anything.  I disagreed vehemently that they would absolutely do a LOT.

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Just received a request from a buyer requesting a refund. He says the USPS tracking shows the package as delivered but he doesn’t have it. He says sometimes that happens and it shows up a day or two later but this time it’s been four days. 

Seems like something that should have been a message to me and not an immediate request for a refund. Also seems like once tracking says delivered my responsibility as a seller is done. And who’s to say it isn’t sitting in his lap as he asks for his money back?

It was priority so there is basic insurance, but again, if the tracking says delivered how can I tell USPS it was lost?

You are correct in that when it shows as delivered that a USPS claim will be denied at the same time there are seller protections that due to it showing delivered should mitigate his claim.  Notice I said should. There are times where a buyer has successfully had claims in their favor as not received. There have also been times where buyers have filed charge backs through their credit cards successfully.  Unfortunately this is one of those tough situations where there may be no win. One thing you can try to do is contact the post office and see what if any information they have. Sometimes buyers have set their delivery options where the delivery can be left in mailbox, doorstep,  etc. Which leave the ability to be stolen. If this is the case , This is the buyers fault, doesn't really help , but may give more information for disputing their claim.  You may be able to ascertain if the package was left or if they happen to still have it at the local post office.  Outside of that a lot of board members,  especially when shipping higher value items, use signature required as that at least shows who signed for the package.  Another option is Registered Mail.  All of that aside you can dispute their claim and show tracking that shows as delivered.  They may try to charge back, or leave negative feedback.  If so contact Ebay and explain what happend and see what they suggest  as well as request the feedback be removed (if you win case) All of this is the reason a lot of sellers have started moving away from Ebay.  Hope this helps and good luck. 

Yeah.. that is crazy.  You would think they would get involved.  We had a issue in my area of Florida for a while where a couple of postal employees were literally dumping the mail.. not delivering just driving out a dirt road and ditching it..Originally this was not known. It was just missing mail, but it became more and more frequent  Although brought to the local police the too really didn't get involved.  However when the local news got wind of the story they broadcast about the missing mail and showed several senior citizens who hadn't received their mail prescriptions and the post master was contacted.  A week or so later someone driving on this dirt road reported seeing what appeared to be stacks of mail tossed into the wood and ditches. When the police finally got involved and went out they found entire bundles still rubber banded together from two different routes. However since there are still a bunch of reports that a lot of mail still goes missing.  Luckily I know all of my local post office workers and have not been included in any of this , but  still if i had seen someone selling unopened packages  i would definitely report it to both police and the post office. 

20190622_012351.jpg

20190622_013738.jpg

20190622_013720.jpg

20190622_013705.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Spelling

7 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You are correct in that when it shows as delivered that a USPS claim will be denied at the same time there are seller protections that due to it showing delivered should mitigate his claim.  Notice I said should. There are times where a buyer has successfully had claims in their favor as not received. There have also been times where buyers have filed charge backs through their credit cards successfully.  Unfortunately this is one of those tough situations where there may be no win. One thing you can try to do is contact the post office and see what if any information they have. Sometimes buyers have set their delivery options where the delivery can be left in mailbox, doorstep,  etc. Which leave the ability to be stolen. If this is the case , This is the buyers fault, doesn't really help , but may give more information for disputing their claim.  You may be able to ascertain if the package was left or if they happen to still have it at the local post office.  Outside of that a lot of board members,  especially when shipping higher value items, use signature required as that at least shows who signed for the package.  Another option is Registered Mail.  All of that aside you can dispute their claim and show tracking that shows as delivered.  They may try to charge back, or leave negative feedback.  If so contact Ebay and explain what happend and see what they suggest  as well as request the feedback be removed (if you win case) All of this is the reason a lot of sellers have started moving away from Ebay.  Hope this helps and good luck. 

It was a $46 purchase, already covered for $50 through USPS priority shipping. Didn’t seem necessary on that amount for signature as it’s already covered for damages and loss. If this guy goes through with any type of claim I will dispute. I probably would have tried to work with him if he didn’t immediately open a refund request when I did nothing wrong. Im any case he’s going on my blocked bidder list. 

Blocked another guy last week for being an ahole. I would quit eBay but it’s the only venue to get the right eyes on some of these non-key comics. 

Edited by manetteska
added

There is a TERRIBLE loophole in the USPS right now, with regards to their parcel locker system. If the post office puts the package in a parcel locker, but puts the key to that locker in the wrong box...you are out of luck. The item says "delivered", while it was delivered to the wrong person. In that case...the recipient is completely out of options. It's the same as if the package was stolen off the front porch, except you PAY FOR the PO box, and it's not SUPPOSED to happen. What's the point of paying for a PO box, if they're going to lose your items, and then claim they were delivered anyway?

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

It was a $46 purchase, already covered for $50 through USPS priority shipping. Didn’t seem necessary on that amount for signature as it’s already covered for damages and loss. If this guy goes through with any type of claim I will dispute. I probably would have tried to work with him if he didn’t immediately open a refund request when I did nothing wrong. Im any case he’s going on my blocked bidder list. 

Blocked another guy last week for being an ahole. I would quit eBay but it’s the only venue to get the right eyes on some of these non-key comics. 

The last couple of times this has happened to me I don’t even bother contacting the seller. 

Realistically, what can the seller do?

If the post office drops it at the wrong house, if a porch pirate grabs it, if the carrier signs for it instead of having me sign...and then drops at wrong house/porch pirate - what can the seller on his end do about it?

”It’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the package gets to you”. Sure, but let’s be honest, not every package is worth sig confirmation and if the the carrier takes it upon himself to sign and something goes wrong it’s self-defeating. 

There’s postal insurance but USPS is the one who decides whether they pay out or not. And they’re just going to point to the tracking number that shows delivered and dismiss the claim because they did their job. 

If the seller prints a label through eBay/PayPal and does a reasonably good job packing, for me, at that point, it seems to be out of the seller’s hands. 

If anything, the problem seems to be that USPS has created a system where they have zero accountability for what happens to a package when it’s in their care. 

It sucks to be out money with nothing to show for it, stuff happens, but trying to ram it down the seller’s throat and hold them them accountable for something out of their control to me doesn’t seem reasonable. 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, Gaard said:

I think I'll bypass Ebay this time ... I don't feel like being an ahole. If I get taken, I get taken. There's Karma, and all that.

Quick followup...

Refunded already. Seller just wanted the tracking number. There's still good people out there.

14 hours ago, manetteska said:

This sounds real a real mail problem as it has happened to me multiple times.  Usually becuase the mailman is lazy and doesnt want to drop it off, or he didnt actually have the package in his truck that day, or it was scanned wrong etc etc.  Usually in 1-2 days it will show up.  I wouldnt be quick to dismiss as a scammer if they have good feedback history.

2 minutes ago, electricprune said:

So, I got this gem of a packing job today. The only thing holding the unbagged book in the box was the packaging tape on the exterior.:banana:

DA95B07A-49A3-4D94-ABAF-2ED1B26534FC.jpeg

had this seller sold comics before?

When I don’t have a BIN on an item and someone says, “What’s the lowest you’ll go?”, then why is it poor form to respond with, “Dunno l, what’s the highest you’ll go?”

shrug... 

doing a postal drop right now... that thought popped in my head since the person never responded back. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

When I don’t have a BIN on an item and someone says, “What’s the lowest you’ll go?”, then why is it poor form to respond with, “Dunno l, what’s the highest you’ll go?”

shrug... 

doing a postal drop right now... that thought popped in my head since the person never responded back. 

I would likely respond with, however much it sells for to the highest bidder. lol

Hi all. I'm about to sell my first swath of CGC books on eBay, and was wondering if there was a FAQ/"guide" to selling CGC books on eBay that someone could link me to? Or a nifty thread/post that has some rock-solid advice on how to post on eBay, shipping tips, etc.

Thanks!

Blake

55 minutes ago, Ditko37 said:

Hi all. I'm about to sell my first swath of CGC books on eBay, and was wondering if there was a FAQ/"guide" to selling CGC books on eBay that someone could link me to? Or a nifty thread/post that has some rock-solid advice on how to post on eBay, shipping tips, etc.

Thanks!

Blake

If you look on eBay there is a ton of information under "selling", advice, videos, etc. However most of us would probably advise you to try selling the books here, first...as there are no fees here. 

Best of luck!

On 6/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Buzzetta said:

shrug... 

genius