• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

Have any of you that sell on ebay noticed a drop in bids since the sales tax was inflicted, I mean implemented?

This will really affect what I offer on BIN items. Since I'm paying 8% sales tax, making a 90% offer is really a 98% offer for me. To make anything worthwhile it looks like I would have to offer 75% of the asking price, probably pizzing off the seller. I'm sure I could mention to the seller that the 8% sales tax is the reason why the offer is what it is.

EDIT: Other online retailers are only charging me 4% (Amazon, Deep Discount) sales tax.

Edited by evilskip
One statement.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, 1Cool said:

I got this from E-Bay a couple days ago:

Dear Buyer,

eBay is now legally required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states. If you are a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a charitable entity, reseller etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to eBay and make purchases on ebay.com without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
Please upload a valid Exemption Certificate here (select “General Information” in the drop down menu). Include the following information in the Comments section:

Contact Name
Business Name
eBay username

It may take 10-14 days for us to process your tax exemption status on eBay. We will send you an email confirmation when it has been completed.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. You should consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for further details, as policies are different for each state.

For more details and FAQs on when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

@Robot Man let me know you got this :) :foryou: 

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 7/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, 1Cool said:

got this from E-Bay a couple days ago:

Dear Buyer,

eBay is now legally required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states. If you are a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a charitable entity, reseller etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to eBay and make purchases on ebay.com without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
Please upload a valid Exemption Certificate here (select “General Information” in the drop down menu). Include the following information in the Comments section:

Contact Name
Business Name
eBay username

It may take 10-14 days for us to process your tax exemption status on eBay. We will send you an email confirmation when it has been completed.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. You should consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for further details, as policies are different for each state.

For more details and FAQs on when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

@Robot Man let me know you got this :) :foryou: 

@dena notifications are wonky!

@Robot Man

1 hour ago, evilskip said:

Have any of you that sell on ebay noticed a drop in bids since the sales tax was inflicted, I mean implemented?

This will really affect what I offer on BIN items. Since I'm paying 8% sales tax, making a 90% offer is really a 98% offer for me. To make anything worthwhile it looks like I would have to offer 75% of the asking price, probably pizzing off the seller. I'm sure I could mention to the seller that the 8% sales tax is the reason why the offer is what it is.

EDIT: Other online retailers are only charging me 4% (Amazon, Deep Discount) sales tax.

I have received a few buy it off eBay offers. 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:45 AM, Pokecollectoramy said:

NY is close to 9%. Brutal

eBay is charging the full 8.5% but others are only charging the local 4% tax. 

I would be curious to see if eBay is using the blanket higher tax and pocketing some of it.  Before people think I am nuts here, Suffolk County has a mandatory fee on plastic bags.  It is a state mandated 5 cents a bag fee.  However they never legislated where the five cents goes to.  Does it go to the environment?  Does it go for beach maintenance?  Since they never legislated where the fee goes, places like Target and Walmart keep the fee for themselves.  I wonder if eBay is doing the same with part of the tax when the whole tax does not need to be applied.

https://www.nylawnet.com/blog/so-where-does-the-5-cents-go/

On 7/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, Brother J said:

Just had sales tax charged on an item I sold. I had nothing to do with it. Is the buyer going to be pissed at me that eBay charged them sales tax? I wonder if I need to start mentioning in my listings that sales tax may be charged depending on where the buyer is from?

Ebay has made this clear to buyers.nobody has said boo to me. It simply impacts what people are willing to pay.cash purchases at shops and shows start to look better. 

I never got an email or anything from ebay about the sales tax. They keep sending me $#!t about buying statues and other expensive  I have no use for. And yes, all of my notifications for the account are set to receive policy changes and the like.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, KobaltDog said:

seller saying its a factory error what's the factory error " the text format"?

I wonder does this affect Canada with our 13% HST tax? Can any Canadian buyers chime in here?

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

What protections do buyers and sellers have on FBMP?

I don't think that there are any protections. They encourage paypal goods and services but I saw a post today of someone who used Venmo and was then ghosted. 

Yay my first return as a seller on Feebay! (buyer said "just didn't like it" and noted "CGC case had scratches")

So... apparently... a seller cannot create a return shipping label through Feebay?

I called and was told they can't create a return shipping label because they can't figure out how to swap the buyer and seller locations on the label, even though they have all the address information in their database???

So the only way they said for me to do it is this:

1. Seller creates and purchases shipping label outside of Ebay (like through USPS website).

2. Seller prints a copy of the label.

3. Seller scans the copy and creates a .pdf

4. Seller sends the pdf shipping label to buyer inside of Feebay message system.

5. Buyer opens .pdf and prints label and uses it.

Is this really how it's done????

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I don't think that there are any protections. They encourage paypal goods and services but I saw a post today of someone who used Venmo and was then ghosted. 

"ghosted"?

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

So the buyer bought the item using Venmo, but was never sent the item and then was ghosted?