• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2019 at 6:21 AM, D84 said:

A friendly reminder that sales tax goes in effect today on eBay for Texas.

After I use my eBay bucks this month, I'm out.

Right, I bought a $500 book and had to pay California tax on it! Don't like that 9.25% hit. Adds to cost and reduces profits. Guess I will start looking at other markets like  Instagram. 

1 hour ago, silverweb said:

Right, I bought a $500 book and had to pay California tax on it! Don't like that 9.25% hit. Adds to cost and reduces profits. Guess I will start looking at other markets like  Instagram. 

TO MY SURPRISE, I just bought a book off the Dave and Adams website, with no sales tax....

SO I guess it is an "ebay" type only thing, I didn't realize that. SO we can buy off dealers websites and not be hit with the large sales tax....

BUT

IF we need TO Sell, who will buy our books if we then SELL on ebay :( 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

TO MY SURPRISE, I just bought a book off the Dave and Adams website, with no sales tax....

SO I guess it is an "ebay" type only thing, I didn't realize that. SO we can buy off dealers websites and not be hit with the large sales tax....

BUT

IF we need TO Sell, who will buy our books if we then SELL on ebay :( 

They are still paying a sales tax on it. Or they should be at least.

I have a question. And this group is probably the wrong one to ask. But anyway, last week I ran a bunch of auctions of $4-$5 type books. some sold, most did not. I am not planning on re-listing most, but as I put a fair amount of work into this listings and I was listing a bunch of each title, I'd like to list 9-12 in one store listing as a big lot with the stated option of people making offers just on the issues they want. I am putting variations of "you pick" in the title. Do folks just tend to ignore listings like that? I see a lot of these. I don't want to waste store slots on individual $4 books.

34 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have a question. And this group is probably the wrong one to ask. But anyway, last week I ran a bunch of auctions of $4-$5 type books. some sold, most did not. I am not planning on re-listing most, but as I put a fair amount of work into this listings and I was listing a bunch of each title, I'd like to list 9-12 in one store listing as a big lot with the stated option of people making offers just on the issues they want. I am putting variations of "you pick" in the title. Do folks just tend to ignore listings like that? I see a lot of these. I don't want to waste store slots on individual $4 books.

Yup I had a few listed as multiple listing books. Took me forever to tweak it and haven’t had anything sold. Total waste of time 

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yup I had a few listed as multiple listing books. Took me forever to tweak it and haven’t had anything sold. Total waste of time 

I sold some like this at the prime hype moment for ms. Marvel and listed like 10 in one listing, not so much since. It is a nice way to list 3000 books in your 250 item store, but if people who buy singles ignore them then it is pointless.

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

I sold some like this at the prime hype moment for ms. Marvel and listed like 10 in one listing, not so much since. It is a nice way to list 3000 books in your 250 item store, but if people who buy singles ignore them then it is pointless.

You know they count as individual listings right?

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

You know they count as individual listings right?

Not when you list them as a lot and solicit offers for books within the lot. Admittedly folks need to do a little exploring and read the description  to understand this option as "you pick" may not be obvious from the title. I have definitely sold books this way, just not as many as I hoped. Then again, run filler is always slow.

Edited by the blob

12 hours ago, the blob said:

Not when you list them as a lot and solicit offers for books within the lot. Admittedly folks need to do a little exploring and read the description  to understand this option as "you pick" may not be obvious from the title. I have definitely sold books this way, just not as many as I hoped. Then again, run filler is always slow.

Can u show me an example of this? Curious 

17 hours ago, the blob said:

Big turn off IMO.

29 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Big turn off IMO.

Why? Each book gets its own scan. I am not doing back covers on $4 books anyway, I agree, I do not like the ones where they have a picture from 5 feet away showing 9 books in one picture and you can barely see them and they say you can pick one. Like I said, I have sold books this way before, I just don't have enough of a track record doing it  to really know if it works.

Just now, the blob said:

Why? Each book gets its own scan. I am not doing back covers on $4 books anyway, I agree, I do not like the ones where they have a picture from 5 feet away showing 9 books in one picture and you can barely see them and they say you can pick one. Like I said, I have sold books this way before, I just don't have enough of a track record doing it  to really know if it works.

My experience hasn't been good regarding multiple-item listings. I've been, for lack of a better term, confused by them. I've also ordered products twice through drop-down listings and both of them shipped incorrect items.

Do they normally work, though? I'm not sure. I've stayed away from them entirely for a couple of years now, FWIW.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My experience hasn't been good regarding multiple-item listings. I've been, for lack of a better term, confused by them. I've also ordered products twice through drop-down listings and both of them shipped incorrect items.

Do they normally work, though? I'm not sure. I've stayed away from them entirely for a couple of years now, FWIW.

I agree, I find a lot of them confusing. I am trying to be less confusing, but it is hard to convey it in the title. I am listing the books as a lot...let's say Avengers 125 126 127 128 129 and 130 for $50, but I say in the listing, if you are only interested in one or some, just make an offer and specify what you are offering for. It seems pretty straight forward. If I only want 125, maybe I offer $12 for it or whatever. I accept. And then I'll probably re-list the lot again as Avengers 126 - 130 at a lower price unless I have another 125 to sub in.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I agree, I find a lot of them confusing. I am trying to be less confusing, but it is hard to convey it in the title. I am listing the books as a lot...let's say Avengers 125 126 127 128 129 and 130 for $50, but I say in the listing, if you are only interested in one or some, just make an offer and specify what you are offering for. It seems pretty straight forward. If I only want 125, maybe I offer $12 for it or whatever. I accept. And then I'll probably re-list the lot again as Avengers 126 - 130 at a lower price unless I have another 125 to sub in.

:sick:

I understand your dilemma. Not sure if there's a great/ way to do it on eBay. Just my experience/opinion.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Those are seller tailored listings that would do more harm to a seller than good... Im not even sure I understand what the seller is offering there

ebay modified their multiple item listing and made them kind of popular with some comic book sellers here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1969-v-1-Pick-Choose-1-441-Comics-Annuals-VG-NM/132903947315

Those are straight forward and easy to navigate through. The only problem with them is that they DO cost you listings

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Those are seller tailored listings that would do more harm to a seller than good... Im not even sure I understand what the seller is offering there

ebay modified their multiple item listing and made them kind of popular with some comic book sellers here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1969-v-1-Pick-Choose-1-441-Comics-Annuals-VG-NM/132903947315

Those are straight forward and easy to navigate through. The only problem with them is that they DO cost you listings

Yeah, I don't want to do those. If I am using up a precious listing on a $4 book I might as well run it solo.

I don't want to pay for more than a 250/250 store (and, frankly, I don't even want all those auctions, I don't have the time, I'd gladly trade 150 of them for more store listings, I think ebay used to let you have a store that was more about just the store listings).

I want to get more of my collection/inventory "visible" to the world. Frankly, even setting up my 250 store slots to actually "list" 2000 items (I'm still doing plenty of solo books...anything legitimately $10 or more probably qualifies) is just going to barely scratch the surface of what I have and I don't want to have $4 solo store listings.

I wish more people were more willing to try "best offer." I am running a bunch of $2.99 auctions and if someone just offered me $2 a book for the bulk of them I'd be find with that. And I have so many items with a lot of views and nobody testing the water to see how low I'll go. I frigging encourage offers in my listings.

Back in the olden days one of the best deals I ever got was from a "U pick" run by someone who didn't know what they were doing. They listed a bunch of ASM including 300. $3 each. I picked the 300 and some hobgoblin issues at $3 each, $9 total. I could not believe I actually got the 300 in the mail and they did not try to pull a fast one.

Edited by the blob

You should participate in an auction where the underdog bidder accidently bids $1000. Thus seeing your max bid is $75 he recants his bid and bids a cool $74.75 just missing out on winning the item. "Aw shucks! Just missed it you lucky winner."

Edited by whetteon
spelling

What is this nonsense? Why isn't Marvel coming down on this? Disney does not allow this sort of stuff to be ignored usually....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Spotlight-Son-of-Satan-Facsimile-Edition-12-Comic-1st-Print-2019-NM/133205251695?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1f03a6d66f:g:pOoAAOSwT7Ndp2WO:sc:USPSMedia!10023!US!-1&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWV%2B5zfNHUYaDKfeBCK3a29v5Eb7iyhclVxQ0xYjgK5IjpcUNptpLOR3wFa%2B3%2F3t84Fj4668QeKKDTI0ewLDhPFvnPW%2Bsg9MndpUhGArNmOr1qiQPVPTyzoT%2B%2BCpYYIxQH1qJg3Z99hyGjDAvgK0QKsDYl4y8o8o3tqGMAcZF0%2BoH4k%2FH4HfhJEMOBKC5VuaJuA3OmHQaQ2SHU%2F9hHfPI8T8%2BrMF13z08TDhn7PyN%2BsX2kIaqlnML2L37WuuWKnig8E2nzI7uCR5Mt3bsfYY2pDNRSkCrI18y9a%2B7%2F9hEnCTv3fScQABVCMnZzmqn7FaoutJoEPkfCriPR4BDxONKCQaUfFyVBVb92k8TJRzI7ittr9WVat3loBRVoZY9R1cCIFvZmwu3sZDdI%2BMAZbzuYchi5rsBWgE6sIi%2FIdG7QQiEj6mO4P4LHy%2BZDlV%2BPkn%2BYgk1AqogO4E1Vl3PSX3g1TY0c7qDfBSNckvmP9U0L%2BWdZxPvvPGSKFYe1bAClvPm%2BIkNwO3c1hk55s5D25P44WpdgDeFaR8JG73eLGxjewYxe91OPSGpw6XHeflK2obrQ5JBuAB1d51xfO4mvTwnSB0TNor4CftngG%2BXe6So0pVONXYUI0AvAhOk%2FYDk0mCiBUdI%2FTP4nWyMnUNzWgWTP%2BjW8ptWlxMsmGE0sHCbwFhxixHct17j0usCBgMsY5wR1gmae86wvVMnA%2FyxpxU1EAl8BSUdGF01%2FsillJLPZPCA%3D%3D&checksum=1332052516951e80bb08b6364e51842071df1e2fe026&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWV%2B5zfNHUYaDKfeBCK3a29v5Eb7iyhclVxQ0xYjgK5IjpcUNptpLOR3wFa%2B3%2F3t84Fj4668QeKKDTI0ewLDhPFvnPW%2Bsg9MndpUhGArNmOr1qiQPVPTyzoT%2B%2BCpYYIxQH1qJg3Z99hyGjDAvgK0QKsDYl4y8o8o3tqGMAcZF0%2BoH4k%2FH4HfhJEMOBKC5VuaJuA3OmHQaQ2SHU%2F9hHfPI8T8%2BrMF13z08TDhn7PyN%2BsX2kIaqlnML2L37WuuWKnig8E2nzI7uCR5Mt3bsfYY2pDNRSkCrI18y9a%2B7%2F9hEnCTv3fScQABVCMnZzmqn7FaoutJoEPkfCriPR4BDxONKCQaUfFyVBVb92k8TJRzI7ittr9WVat3loBRVoZY9R1cCIFvZmwu3sZDdI%2BMAZbzuYchi5rsBWgE6sIi%2FIdG7QQiEj6mO4P4LHy%2BZDlV%2BPkn%2BYgk1AqogO4E1Vl3PSX3g1TY0c7qDfBSNckvmP9U0L%2BWdZxPvvPGSKFYe1bAClvPm%2BIkNwO3c1hk55s5D25P44WpdgDeFaR8JG73eLGxjewYxe91OPSGpw6XHeflK2obrQ5JBuAB1d51xfO4mvTwnSB0TNor4CftngG%2BXe6So0pVONXYUI0AvAhOk%2FYDk0mCiBUdI%2FTP4nWyMnUNzWgWTP%2BjW8ptWlxMsmGE0sHCbwFhxixHct17j0usCBgMsY5wR1gmae86wvVMnA%2FyxpxU1EAl8BSUdGF01%2FsillJLPZPCA%3D%3D&checksum=1332052516951e80bb08b6364e51842071df1e2fe026