• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Receive offer $150

Counter $180

Receive counter $150 w/message: "Sorry this is it if you want get the deal done tonight ill pay right away. Thanks."

and that's a hard pass.

lol

they treat you like theyre doing you a favor and on top of that hes gonna pay you right away! wow that is generous..and you passed that up..?

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"I'll accept $180 if you pay me within the next 3 days..."

That's pretty much it. If you're spending $150 on a comic book, I'm pretty sure the extra 20% isn't going to break you...and if it does, your priorities are misaligned. The "I'll pay you instantly" offer holds no value: with eBay's managed payment, which they swindled me to join, I have to wait a week to get the money anyways. So, no, you want to take a week to pay, that's fine with me, so long as I get the price I want.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anyone know where the verbiage "if you want the deal done tonight" comes from? I've never heard that before, and I've heard it twice in the last week from two different buyers.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this mindset was taught by a television, or Rap "song", or such..

2 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

anyone seeing a decline in sales on ebay in the last week.? very slow by me.

you think its sales tax related?

yes and yes.  My ebay buying has also dropped off due to the sales tax.  I used my last ebay bucks and only bought 1 low dollar item in the last 3 months since.  The sales tax is also limiting and impacting my bid prices on Heritage and other sites.  I've begun factoring in sales tax into the final bid price.  I pulled all my listings as many sat even after lowing the prices.  The 10% ebay bucks promotion didn't get me to even look at buying anything either.  that 10% gets wiped out with the sales tax.  I've even had offers where buyers were begging me to lower the price due to the additional taxes they would have to pay.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:05 AM, cigars&comix said:

they treat you like theyre doing you a favor and on top of that hes gonna pay you right away! wow that is generous..and you passed that up..?

With that said $30 off $180 (and I suspect rma doesn't dump decent books at below FMV unless it is one of his 278 9.9 brigade gold 1s so $180 is probably not giving it away) isn't exactly insulting. I got a $15 offer on a beat to heck, but pretty rare, GA book I had up for $75 (which had free shipping). Now that's a FU type offer. Simultaneously someone else offered $60. Now true, maybe Hollywood and his buddies were playing mindgames on me?

Edited by the blob

46 minutes ago, justafan said:

yes and yes.  My ebay buying has also dropped off due to the sales tax.  I used my last ebay bucks and only bought 1 low dollar item in the last 3 months since.  The sales tax is also limiting and impacting my bid prices on Heritage and other sites.  I've begun factoring in sales tax into the final bid price.  I pulled all my listings as many sat even after lowing the prices.  The 10% ebay bucks promotion didn't get me to even look at buying anything either.  that 10% gets wiped out with the sales tax.  I've even had offers where buyers were begging me to lower the price due to the additional taxes they would have to pay.

I have not had that happen, but I don't have that many triple digit books where the tax feels painful. I find it incredibly frustrating that they charge tax on shipping and specifically the postage part of shipping. It is not a lot of money, but that is b.s.

22 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anyone know where the verbiage "if you want the deal done tonight" comes from? I've never heard that before, and I've heard it twice in the last week from two different buyers.

Maybe he thinks (hopes) you need money to pay a bill? I have certainly sold things here at a lower price contingent on getting a quick payment because of a sudden $ need. Anyway, I try not to get upset if someone makes an offer in the vicinity of reasonable. It's when they offer 20% of your ask and have a condescending message...

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I’ve seen a decline in the past 4 weeks. Sales for me have been brutal 

Thought it was just me since I've not posted many new books over the last month.  I took a shear to most of the prices of my books and I still am only getting a trickle of sales each day.  Canada buyers seem to be the only big buyers left even though they have currency issues.

1 hour ago, justafan said:

ive only seen it in the last week to 10 days. whats weird is about 3 weeks ago i actually sold a $900 book and the buyer had no problem with sales tax, didnt even mention it. so go figure...

2 hours ago, the blob said:
On 11/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Maybe he thinks (hopes) you need money to pay a bill? I have certainly sold things here at a lower price contingent on getting a quick payment because of a sudden $ need. Anyway, I try not to get upset if someone makes an offer in the vicinity of reasonable. It's when they offer 20% of your ask and have a condescending message...

I'm referring specifically to the phrase "if you want the deal done tonight." Perhaps it comes from a TV show or something.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm referring specifically to the phrase "if you want the deal done tonight." Perhaps it comes from a TV show or something.

No. I think he thinks you are so used to people paying in 2 weeks that same day is exciting?