• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a book on eBay via Best Offer. It was not an expensive or key book by any means. The seller marked it shipped quickly, but it did not have a tracking number. That’s happened before, so I wasn’t worried about it.

A few weeks later the seller reaches out to me . He says he is sorry for marking the book shipped, because it hasn’t shipped and he can’t find it. He asks if I am ok with a refund, and he’ll send it for free if he finds it. I tell him that’s no problem and send him my PayPal address as he’d requested. Why he didn’t just do a refund via PayPal, I do t know.

A few days later I look for it and do t see it. It was a nice even number, and it would have been easy to spot. I reach out to the seller and ask if he sent it. He says he has. I go back to PayPal and check for his name, and I find it. He had refunded less than the the total payment AND sent it good and services so I had to eat the fees!

Merry Christmas to me!

I just sold another pair of worn out trashed sneakers.  No these are not collectable sneakers or anything like vintage Jordans... 

Just sold a pair of trashed sneakers with no treads, worn out inner linings... for... $25 + shipping. 

God Bless America. 

@Get Marwood & I - thought you would want to know. 

@greggy - Sorry, you snooze you lose.  Maybe the next pair.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I just sold another pair of worn out trashed sneakers.  No these are not collectable sneakers or anything like vintage Jordans... 

Just sold a pair of trashed sneakers with no treads, worn out inner linings... for... $25 + shipping. 

God Bless America. 

@Get Marwood & I - thought you would want to know. 

@greggy - Sorry, you snooze you lose.  Maybe the next pair.

Your foot fetish stalker has a pretty good collection going now.

30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Your foot fetish stalker has a pretty good collection going now.

Different guy this time.   But, also in California.  

So my old footwear has reached Australia, the Carolinas, California (multiple times) and I think it was Utah? 

I bought some nice pre-code horror from a guy doing a house cleanout. His second best sellers were the vintage 70's and 80's jockstraps he found. He was getting $25-50 apiece, and hundreds for lots of 10+. I started to think about A) why someone had so many old jockstraps in the first place and B) why anyone would want to touch them, let alone pay money for them, but I figured that train of thought was best left at the station. 

3 hours ago, october said:

I bought some nice pre-code horror from a guy doing a house cleanout. His second best sellers were the vintage 70's and 80's jockstraps he found. He was getting $25-50 apiece, and hundreds for lots of 10+. I started to think about A) why someone had so many old jockstraps in the first place and B) why anyone would want to touch them, let alone pay money for them, but I figured that train of thought was best left at the station. 

There is a buyer for anything and everything.  The trick is for the two to find one another. 

There is a store on Driggs in Brooklyn and it sells things that normal people would throw out.  Yet, there I see people sorting through old album photos of people they neither have any relationship with or knowledge of and they buy old pictures of strangers at 10¢ to $1 each.

Edited by Buzzetta

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There is a buyer for anything and everything.  The trick is for the two to find one another. 

There is a store on Driggs in Brooklyn and it sells things that normal people would throw out.  Yet, there I see people sorting through old album photos of people they neither have any relationship with or knowledge of and they buy old pictures of strangers at 10¢ to $1 each.

I found an old photo at my parents house, that someone took of some guy taking a whizz off a bridge.

Just thought I would share an ebay seller tip that will save me $72 per year. I totally forgot about this, other people may know but I felt dumb doing this.

Store's can have a monthly or annual subscription. The store option I had was monthly at $27.95 per month, but if you choose annual you pay $21.95 (or something close to this). I totally forgot I chose this at some point and as I have had a good run with my store an annual subscription is absolutely what I need but just never remembered I signed up this way. This discount makes the reduction in bonus for being a "top seller" that they put through last year a little easier to take.

Sellers who have dealt with returns - is it common for people to ask for the shipping charge to be refunded as well? Do you do it, or fight it? How does that go???

I am curious because I have this exact scenario going on right now. I am not looking to have the item returned to me,  FTR.

-slym

10 hours ago, slym2none said:

Sellers who have dealt with returns - is it common for people to ask for the shipping charge to be refunded as well? Do you do it, or fight it? How does that go???

I am curious because I have this exact scenario going on right now. I am not looking to have the item returned to me,  FTR.

-slym

If the buyer gets buyers remorse and tells E-Bay this they have to pay return shipping.  If the buyer claims the book was not as described then you pay return shipping.  You can try to fight their claim of it being not as described but most of the time you will lose and you will be out time and money.  Buyers have figured this out and almost all of them will claim the book is not as described and you will be forced to accept the return including return shipping. 

Right now I'm going back and forth with a buyer who doesn't understand printer creases and if they decrease from the grade.  it's always something on E-Bay.

53 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If the buyer gets buyers remorse and tells E-Bay this they have to pay return shipping.  If the buyer claims the book was not as described then you pay return shipping.  You can try to fight their claim of it being not as described but most of the time you will lose and you will be out time and money.  Buyers have figured this out and almost all of them will claim the book is not as described and you will be forced to accept the return including return shipping. 

Right now I'm going back and forth with a buyer who doesn't understand printer creases and if they decrease from the grade.  it's always something on E-Bay.

Printers creases, binder tear, etc. I think you need to describe outright because some folks aren't going to like a nm book with a big printers crease even if cgc would be cool with it. I am not sure what to do with the early 90s books afflicted with the waviness on the top. It is so common, but they weren't sold like that?

Edited by the blob

On 12/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, october said:

Were they XXXXXX large? I know I have trouble finding that size for my jock strap and even then it is tight.

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Were they XXXXXX large? I know I have trouble finding that size for my jock strap and even then it is tight.

You have to play contact sports to need a jock strap :kidaround:

Good news/bad news:

Good news is the buyer accepted the partial refund.
Bad news is that eBay refunded them the whole amount, now I have a negative balance even with someone buying something today, so I can't ship it. I called eBay, they said there's nothing they can do. I called PayPal and they said there is nothing they can do.

Someone has to be able to do something because I am not getting screwed.

I :censored: hate both eBay and PayPal.

-slym

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You have to play contact sports to need a jock strap :kidaround:

I need one all the time to keep all of that massiveness in one place. Or maybe that's just my innards popping out through a hernia?

I'm thinking about opening an eBay Store this fall to sell comics and trading cards and toys and books and other collectibles. I've sold occasionally on eBay in the past but I'd like to get a more serious about it. I have a lot of collectibles (most not worth much) I've acquired over the last 25 years, plus things I've inherited from family members. I may also have a line on a decent Magic: The Gathering collection I can try to sell. And I've started buying things I think I can sell when I see massive clearance sales at Walmart and other stores.

I've been reading about taxes and business structures and things like that. I'll definitely talk to a CPA this summer if I decide to do this so I know what records to keep and what taxes I have to pay. I'm particularly confused about paying capital gains tax on collectibles, for example.

For those of you who sell collectibles on eBay as a side hustle, is there any advice you have for me? Did you set up an actual business, like a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Which eBay Store subscriber level is best to start out with? Do you have a business license in your state? Did you open a separate business banking account/credit card? Does selling on eBay consume all your waking hours, even if you only planned to do it in your spare time?

Thanks.

Edited by Mr. Spider-Woman

30 minutes ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I'm thinking about opening an eBay Store this fall to sell comics and trading cards and toys and books and other collectibles. I've sold occasionally on eBay in the past but I'd like to get a more serious about it. I have a lot of collectibles (most not worth much) I've acquired over the last 25 years, plus things I've inherited from family members. I may also have a line on a decent Magic: The Gathering collection I can try to sell. And I've started buying things I think I can sell when I see massive clearance sales at Walmart and other stores.

I've been reading about taxes and business structures and things like that. I'll definitely talk to a CPA this summer if I decide to do this so I know what records to keep and what taxes I have to pay. I'm particularly confused about paying capital gains tax on collectibles, for example.

For those of you who sell collectibles on eBay as a side hustle, is there any advice you have for me? Did you set up an actual business, like a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Which eBay Store subscriber level is best to start out with? Do you have a business license in your state? Did you open a separate business banking account/credit card? Does selling on eBay consume all your waking hours, even if you only planned to do it in your spare time?

Thanks.

get 7 different ebay names and use each 50 item free store for them for each type of item you are selling. someone here does that, what's his name?? (I know his name)