• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,164 posts in this topic

I should preface this by saying that I'm very ignorant in the ways of returning comics on Ebay.

When returning comics that aren't even close to the advertised grade, does one contact the seller to do the return, or does one simply go to Ebay? Does it make a difference if the listing says...

Returns:
14 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping

2 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I should preface this by saying that I'm very ignorant in the ways of returning comics on Ebay.

When returning comics that aren't even close to the advertised grade, does one contact the seller to do the return, or does one simply go to Ebay? Does it make a difference if the listing says...

Returns:

I always contact the seller first.  If the item isn't as described I don't believe the seller can get away from paying for return shipping either.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, Gaard said:

I don't remember why I was wondering this, but is there a way to know how long a BIN has been listed?

Use picclick .com. Navigate through it to comics and then you can narrow it down to say silver age and then super heroes then to a particular title. In the "insight" section it tells you exactly how many days an item has been listed on ebay. I just came across one that has been on ebay for 2,343 days.

16 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Use picclick .com. Navigate through it to comics and then you can narrow it down to say silver age and then super heroes then to a particular title. In the "insight" section it tells you exactly how many days an item has been listed on ebay. I just came across one that has been on ebay for 2,343 days.

Excellent! Thanks dude!

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Returns:

either or. usually I just open a return request. I used to contact the seller but in most cases they just tell me to open a return request so they can process a label. 14 calendar days from date of item delivery. Buyer pays for return if there's nothing wrong like "just didn't like it, ordered wrong size"; if it's not as described seller pays

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

either or. usually I just open a return request. I used to contact the seller but in most cases they just tell me to open a return request so they can process a label. 14 calendar days from date of item delivery. Buyer pays for return if there's nothing wrong like "just didn't like it, ordered wrong size"; if it's not as described seller pays

Do you ever get any grief from the seller ... like "How come you didn't come to me first!"

7 hours ago, Gaard said:

Returns:

Just curious -- Was it a hidden defect?  Or were the pictures misleading?  I always assume as a buyer that the Seller's opinion of the grade is just that -- an opinion and not something that is the basis for me returning a book. 

25 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

Just curious -- Was it a hidden defect?  Or were the pictures misleading?  I always assume as a buyer that the Seller's opinion of the grade is just that -- an opinion and not something that is the basis for me returning a book. 

rarely.. like once or twice... fyi I never leave negative feedback.. especially if it's in my favor and there is resolution. no need to beat up on sellers who make mistakes 

5 hours ago, evilskip said:

Wow that is really nifty!

Thanks for posting that!

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but can anyone help me get my head around the pricing that I see on Ebay?!?!

I recently went on ebay and looked up a few of the old books I bought when I was a kid in the 90s to see if they were actually worth anything, and I've noticed some HUGE variations on asking prices...  

For instance, I've seen  CGC 9.8 graded copies of a book listed at over $200, and then other listings of what appears to be the same book in similar raw condition that are listed for say $20... 

For instance I just looked up Uncanny Xmen 282, and I see a CGC 9.8 with an asking price of $230, but I also see other raw examples that appear to be in similar condition listed for under $20...

So, are there just a lot of "Pie in the Sky" Ebay sellers that are hoping to find some unsuspecting customer willing to drop $200 for a guaranteed already graded 9.8 example of a book?  Or are there some specific variants that I'm not noticing that would make 1 example worth over $200, while another similar example can be had for 10X less?  Or does CGC grading really make your book worth TEN TIMES what it would sell for in a raw state? :)

And I've noticed the same trend with multiple titles, so just wondering if I'm missing something, or if these are just sellers hoping to find someone willing to overpay?

Thanks!  Happy I found somewhere I can get honest insight into this scene that I've been away from since the late 90s...

5 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but can anyone help me get my head around the pricing that I see on Ebay?!?!

I recently went on ebay and looked up a few of the old books I bought when I was a kid in the 90s to see if they were actually worth anything, and I've noticed some HUGE variations on asking prices...  

For instance, I've seen  CGC 9.8 graded copies of a book listed at over $200, and then other listings of what appears to be the same book in similar raw condition that are listed for say $20... 

For instance I just looked up Uncanny Xmen 282, and I see a CGC 9.8 with an asking price of $230, but I also see other raw examples that appear to be in similar condition listed for under $20...

So, are there just a lot of "Pie in the Sky" Ebay sellers that are hoping to find some unsuspecting customer willing to drop $200 for a guaranteed already graded 9.8 example of a book?  Or are there some specific variants that I'm not noticing that would make 1 example worth over $200, while another similar example can be had for 10X less?  Or does CGC grading really make your book worth TEN TIMES what it would sell for in a raw state? :)

And I've noticed the same trend with multiple titles, so just wondering if I'm missing something, or if these are just sellers hoping to find someone willing to overpay?

Thanks!  Happy I found somewhere I can get honest insight into this scene that I've been away from since the late 90s...

You can’t really compare graded and non graded pricing on books as they do have wildly different pricing as you have found out. You have to understand that a 9.8 is a higher grade than the majority of nm ungraded books, so they will command a higher price compared to lower grades.

It may be more beneficial to explore 9.4 books between graded and ungraded to see what the difference is between them.

now if graded books don’t matter to you just look for the best copy you can find and go that way. And of course you can always submit your own stuff in once you find the right one.

but yeah to sum it up 9.8 has a premium usually 

6 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Look for sold items. You can ask whatever you want. Some sellers list a book just to draw traffic. Some just show off their collection. Some put their I don't really want to sell it price but if someone pays it then good. Cgc will get a lot more $ in a 9.8 x-MEN 4 nm is $30 or $40 bucks. 9.8 almost 200

On 6/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, Gaard said:

Do you ever get any grief from the seller ... like "How come you didn't come to me first!"

I would always contact seller first. Might just be a misunderstanding. They might give you a partial refund. Give them chance to make things right. 

If they offer returns, you can return book for any reason just pay the shipping. No returns you can still return if they deceived you. If page missing or cover detached wasn't shown in picture or mentioned in listing. If their pictures didn't show a stain. Whatever. 

Question on eBay selling...

I sell all of my older comics using ComicLink. But it doesn't seem the best place to sell more modern variants. I know some eBay sellers do consignment. Are there any companys or sellers that you would recommend? Thanks in advance. 

Strange thing happened with an auction I was watching on eBay.  Thoughts on what happened are welcome.

I was watching a CGC 9.8 white pages Wolverine Limited Series # 1, more out of curiosity than anything else.  At one point about an hour before it ended, I checked and the price was up to $ 535, wit 23 bids.  Which I thought was crazy, because you could get the same condition CGC for a lot less, both on eBay itself and ComicLink.  It wasn't a newsstand edition or anything else special that I could see.

When I checked back later in the evening to see where it ended up, the final price was $ 390, with 19 bids.  Last minute bid retractions? Is that easy to do without consequences?  That could really disappointing for the seller.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.