• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Gaard said:

Just had a long online conversation with an ebay rep concerning an email I got this morning. They took $4.55 from me because they said I used the wrong USPS service. They said I used "USPS Priority service", and I should've used "USPS Priority service".  (shrug)

The rep said insisted that the email was wrong, and that I entered the wrong weight and/or dimensions on the shipping label. OK, I can live with that. Seems a little "We'll think of something to get your money"-ish, but whatever.

Question for those in the know: if the measurement on one side is 12.7 inches, do I round up?

pic is a screenshot of the email

sa.jpg

That is complete BS. It clearly shows label and actual are the same.

Does ebay make these shipping adjustments, or do they get some sort of report from the USPS? Ebay would have no way of evaluating the actual dimensions and weight when you ship it out. Shady way for ebay to enforce something they don't measure.

I got 2 credit adjustments in the past and it said something about the actual weight being lighter than what I paid for, so I assume USPS does some QA from time to time. I round up the dimensions/weight.

1 hour ago, bobotski said:

That is complete BS. It clearly shows label and actual are the same.

Does ebay make these shipping adjustments, or do they get some sort of report from the USPS? Ebay would have no way of evaluating the actual dimensions and weight when you ship it out. Shady way for ebay to enforce something they don't measure.

I got 2 credit adjustments in the past and it said something about the actual weight being lighter than what I paid for, so I assume USPS does some QA from time to time. I round up the dimensions/weight.

one time a guy bought a rare $600 comic from me via best offer with $15 priority mail shipping .. I did not know how much shipping would be since if it's over 750 it has to be insured. My BIN was higher than the accepted 600 of course. He kept messaging me w a lot of interest. Days after it delivers he opens a return request asking for a $5 refund on shipping. he was asking if I had proof of the receipt from the USPS to see how much I paid.. Pure cheap sake..

Just sold a novel for $50.. I was surprised when I saw the FVF was $6.. Turns out the Books category on ebay is 12% FVF.. I was appalled as I thought fees were 10% across all catertogires. All my "books" are now listed under Collectibles > Paper > Other Paper collectibles .. or if it's sci fi under that category also ;)

On 7/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, Gaard said:

Just had a long online conversation with an ebay rep concerning an email I got this morning. They took $4.55 from me because they said I used the wrong USPS service. They said I used "USPS Priority service", and I should've used "USPS Priority service".  (shrug)

The rep said insisted that the email was wrong, and that I entered the wrong weight and/or dimensions on the shipping label. OK, I can live with that. Seems a little "We'll think of something to get your money"-ish, but whatever.

Question for those in the know: if the measurement on one side is 12.7 inches, do I round up?

pic is a screenshot of the email

sa.jpg

I'm curious, do you charge the buyer for shipping?  There has been times where I mistakenly put priority mail and shipped media mail instead because it was a hardcover reprint book not a graded comic, and I've never seen anything like this before.  They might be trying to solve some problem with people who over-charge for shipping despite the fact they already nail you for fees on the total shipping amount anyway.  Sounds like another reason to just go with free shipping on all your items and adjust the starting price for it.

As for the FVF at 12% i didn't notice that yet, but I do remember reading through their fees list a few months ago and remember being shocked that New shoes over $100 selling price get 0% fees and anything less has a fee.  They must be in a marketplace war with some other shoe collector website and are trying to take control of the market.  Free market works great when you're on the right side of it.  lol
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364#section2

Edited by 90sChild

New email from ebay:

"Effective August 1, 2020, we are updating our selling fees with additional permanent zero monthly insertion fee listings"

in other words more additional free listings for next month also!

12 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Can someone explain this to me? $697?! Somethin has got to be wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254648647046

Screenshot_2020-07-19-20-29-47.png

What's your concern? Seems like a "normal" price for a lot of Batman books from the early 60's... some with Joker covers. And, these books seem to be in pretty nice condition. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

What's your concern? Seems like a "normal" price for a lot of Batman books from the early 60's... some with Joker covers. And, these books seem to be in pretty nice condition. 

I don't see anything better then a FN, most looked VG at best. and that's off of the ebay photos. It just seems like a heck of a premium for raw books off eBay.

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

I don't see anything better then a FN, most looked VG at best. and that's off of the ebay photos. It just seems like a heck of a premium for raw books off eBay.

bidding war? sometimes auctions go higher or lower than they should but they average to $77 a comic

recently I was outbid on an item I'm sure I would have won and it was already higher than what I was willing to pay but the item was so good I had to bid more than I want to get the item

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

5% e-bucks offer just came out.  Let the additional sales commence!

saw a spike in sales this morning.... It's been a 3-4 weeks since the last ebucks promo...time for me to buy some packing tape!

Sold a $120 book last week. Packed it up and and took it to the post office the next day. After it was shipped, the buyer asked if he can cancel the order. I said, sorry it has already shipped.

He receives the package, the same box CGC used to send me a book by the way, and says it is banged up, and he wants to return it. This was without opening the package. Since I know I wrapped the slab in multiple layers of bubble wrap and put between two pieces of cardboard, I asked him to open up the box. He sends pics of the slab with a giant chunk cracked out. Its so obvious he did this himself. Ebay now wants me to pay for return shipping. So I have to refund him, eat shipping both ways, and now have a cracked slab.

I called ebay and explained the buyer is abusing the system. Also explained I have sold dozens of slabbed books and not a single one was damaged. But of course they side with the buyer AND I still have to pay final value fees for the book!

Love it.

15 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Sold a $120 book last week. Packed it up and and took it to the post office the next day. After it was shipped, the buyer asked if he can cancel the order. I said, sorry it has already shipped.

He receives the package, the same box CGC used to send me a book by the way, and says it is banged up, and he wants to return it. This was without opening the package. Since I know I wrapped the slab in multiple layers of bubble wrap and put between two pieces of cardboard, I asked him to open up the box. He sends pics of the slab with a giant chunk cracked out. Its so obvious he did this himself. Ebay now wants me to pay for return shipping. So I have to refund him, eat shipping both ways, and now have a cracked slab.

I called ebay and explained the buyer is abusing the system. Also explained I have sold dozens of slabbed books and not a single one was damaged. But of course they side with the buyer AND I still have to pay final value fees for the book!

Love it.

this guy sounds like a real pos. bust a slab just for a refund?

2 hours ago, DR.X said:

this guy sounds like a real pos. bust a slab just for a refund?

Yup. Should have known when he asked to cancel it. Next time I’ll wait a day before shipping.

24 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Can someone explain to me (if it's possible) how to see who's 'following' me on Ebay? I go to my homepage and it tells me how many I have, but I can't figure out how to see who they are.

Go to “followers” And click on it.. those followers have a choice if they want to make themselves visible. You can have 1,000 followers and only see 3

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

Go to “followers” And click on it.. those followers have a choice if they want to make themselves visible. You can have 1,000 followers and only see 3

Hmmm, maybe all of my 10 followers choose to be hidden?

ssebay.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Hmmm, maybe all of my 10 followers choose to be hidden?

ssebay.jpg

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

To me any " followers" who remain hidden are technically " stalkers ":whistle: