• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,140 posts in this topic

I wanted to relate a transaction that had the potential to turn bad but ended up being positive. I thought if I posted this 'good guy' post in the Blocked User thread, however, it might be going against the spirit of that thread, so in here it goes. Don't worry, it's a short story...

Guy (shway-deals) buys a comic. It's relatively cheap - CGC 9.8 Money Shot 1 (CK Elite) $65. Less that 5 minutes after paying, he sends me an email requesting that I ship to his new address because he just moved. I tell him, "No can do" and explain that I'm screwed in the event that the transaction goes south. He says he totally understands. I refund, he changes his info on Ebay, I relist, and he buys again. Easy peasy.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:44 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

To me if a seller doesn't provide a grade its fine as long as you have many pictures and call out flaws that are easy to miss. I get tired of hearing "book is VF or better". Why not "Book is NM or worse"? Its like the seller wants you to get your hopes up.

It's because they dont want you to return the book saying that the grade was wrong.

Under promise and over deliver is one of the main rules in sales.

Am I the only one who lists something and then takes it as a personal slight when it doesn't sell within minutes? :sumo: What is wrong with people these days who cannot see a deal!  :sumo::sumo: Nine views?...nine spoons is more like it!

Edited by Bird
is a joke

34 minutes ago, Bird said:

Am I the only one who lists something and then takes it as a personal slight when it doesn't sell within minutes? :sumo: What is wrong with people these days who cannot see a deal!  :sumo::sumo: Nine views?...nine spoons is more like it!

Give it the 80% discount treatment and you'll be fine :roflmao:

5 hours ago, Bird said:

I need an ebucks promo to come this week. I need to buy some skateboard parts $$$ .... I'm always happy when stuff sells quickly.. it's a good indicator of right pricing.. all the best stuff is in the sold section of ebay... If something sells within 2 mins I feel shortchanged, If it sells within 1-2 hrs to 2-3 weeks I'm good, if it doesn't sell within 3+ months I'm worried and devastated

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

I need an ebucks promo to come this week. I need to buy some skateboard parts $$$ .... I'm always happy when stuff sells quickly.. it's a good indicator of right pricing.. all the best stuff is in the sold section of ebay... If something sells within 2 mins I feel shortchanged, If it sells within 1-2 hrs to 2-3 weeks I'm good, if it doesn't sell within 3+ months I'm worried and devastated

I hate to see a sale within a few hours of the books being posted - I know it was way too cheap.  If I get an offer on a book within the first couple hours I always look at the sold listings to see if I missed something and I'd say half the time I notice the price is way too low and they were trying to get a steal.  My sweet spot is for the book to sell in a day or two at a 10% discount since I feel it was priced fairly and I got pretty close to top dollar.  I agree after a month or two you know the book is either cooling off or the price was too high at which point I either drop it a bit or just keep it at that price and start accepting lower offers.  But I really hate a sale within an hour of posting :cry:

Anybody else having problems with items selling with a BIN but staying active in your Selling tab? Edit: just noticed these are "Good 'til Canceled" listings. Those should still work normally when sold.

This has happened to me three times now. Is there a setting I need to change? If I don't keep up on things, I could inadvertently "sell" the same item twice, and the poor second customer will think they've been scammed when I have to refund/cancel.

Edited by celluloidbuff
Added explanation for "Good 'til Canceled"

52 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I hate to see a sale within a few hours of the books being posted - I know it was way too cheap.  If I get an offer on a book within the first couple hours I always look at the sold listings to see if I missed something and I'd say half the time I notice the price is way too low and they were trying to get a steal.  My sweet spot is for the book to sell in a day or two at a 10% discount since I feel it was priced fairly and I got pretty close to top dollar.  I agree after a month or two you know the book is either cooling off or the price was too high at which point I either drop it a bit or just keep it at that price and start accepting lower offers.  But I really hate a sale within an hour of posting :cry:

If I get dozens of ppl asking for a lower price on the same item. I bump the price a little and It Is usually bought by someone else shortly thereafter no questions asked 

Just had a very strange transaction on eBay. Maybe someone here can help explain it to me.

1. I bought a ~$50 book in an auction.
  2. The book arrived incomplete, missing the centerfold.
  3. I told the seller
  4. He apologized
  5. I asked if he could do a partial refund
  6. He asked how much I wanted refunded
  7. I suggested 40-50% since it was incomplete
  8. He said the amount was high
  9. He then proceeded to refund me 100% of the price without suggesting a return or a lower refund, or even the amount I asked for.
  10. ?????????

3 hours ago, OdinsSecrets said:

Just had a very strange transaction on eBay. Maybe someone here can help explain it to me.

3. I told the seller
  4. He apologized
  9. He then proceeded to refund me 100% of the price without suggesting a return or a lower refund, or even the amount I asked for.
  10. ?????????

send it back at least or ask him to send you $5 for postage 

18 minutes ago, littledoom said:

send it back at least or ask him to send you $5 for postage 

I don't think the seller wants the book back, he said to keep it when he sent the refund. I just don't understand why he would send a full refund instead of the amount I asked for, especially when he already said it was high. I was wondering if eBay offers some incentive to sellers for refunds or something? Its seems pretty strange otherwise.

4 hours ago, OdinsSecrets said:

3. I told the seller
  4. He apologized
  10. ?????????

Send it back

4 hours ago, OdinsSecrets said:

3. I told the seller
  4. He apologized
  10. ?????????

lol I had something like that happen recently... 

He turned down my offer of $21... 

He countered with $20... 

I should have held out for $15. 

216829902_ScreenShot2020-08-12at11_09_33PM.thumb.png.c48758fe3bb7ddc0826b70df2366cba9.png

1 hour ago, OdinsSecrets said:

I don't think the seller wants the book back, he said to keep it when he sent the refund. I just don't understand why he would send a full refund instead of the amount I asked for, especially when he already said it was high. I was wondering if eBay offers some incentive to sellers for refunds or something? Its seems pretty strange otherwise.

I think the incentive is not getting negative feedback over a minor dispute, especially if he has a 100% feedback he's been protecting for years.  Not worth ruining over $50.

2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I think the incentive is not getting negative feedback over a minor dispute, especially if he has a 100% feedback he's been protecting for years.  Not worth ruining over $50.

That's true I guess, I just found it odd that I had suggested 40-50% refund, then he specifically said that amount was high, then he gave a 100% refund. Leaves me scratching my head, wondering why he didn't just offer the 50% refund. I don't think I said anything that would suggest I was going to leave negative feedback.

3 hours ago, OdinsSecrets said:

That's true I guess, I just found it odd that I had suggested 40-50% refund, then he specifically said that amount was high, then he gave a 100% refund. Leaves me scratching my head, wondering why he didn't just offer the 50% refund. I don't think I said anything that would suggest I was going to leave negative feedback.

I too have done almost this exact thing before.  I have over 2000+ 100% positive feedback and when I buyer contacted me before due to an item that was damaged in transit they sent pictures and requested a partial refund.  My first response was this wasn't my fault or problem,  and that they should file a claim with the USPS and let me know how it goes. Then they replied with would I just issue a 20% and I could file claim that they would be ok with that. I immediately replied without too much thought that they could just file the claim and if the post office didn't require them to surrender the item they would get 100% and the item. Right after I thought to myself is it really worth risking my feedback over $60. So without any more thought or communication i issued a full refund as well as sent a message apologizing for my thoughtless unsympathetic reply. Sometimes it's just the cost of doing business.  I have been lucky not to have many attempts at a buyer trying to scam . I also haven't had any real issues with damage as I always over protect an item.  

I guess some sellers get confused easily or get brain farts once in a while. Sometimes those are the ones that are easy going and let their mistakes go. Just start a conversation and maybe get a laugh or two.

On the other end of the spectrum are bungholes that will milk you out of every cent.

Edited by bobotski

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol I had something like that happen recently... 

He turned down my offer of $21... 

He countered with $20... 

I should have held out for $15. 

216829902_ScreenShot2020-08-12at11_09_33PM.thumb.png.c48758fe3bb7ddc0826b70df2366cba9.png

I often do the opposite as a buyer.

Me: offers low ball $15 for a $40 item

Seller: counters with $30

Me: counter with $35 

Seller: Accepted and Sold

???doh!