• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, justafan said:

I often do the opposite as a buyer.

Me: offers low ball $15 for a $40 item

Seller: counters with $30

Me: counter with $35 

Seller: Accepted and Sold

???doh!

I often respond to lowball offers with, "Not even if I needed drug money."  I am sure that goes over well with the censors and filters for China and the Philippines. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Found it... this was when the buyer initiated the return as item not described but then wrote what he did in the return reason. 

I am guessing the weed was flying free that evening. 

eBay overturned it in my favor... 

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.16.13 PM.png

On 8/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, Aethnen said:

Ok, I'm new to the boards and going to sell a part of my collection on eBay.  Read a few related threads and didn't see exactly what I was wondering.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about listing specific grades for books nowadays?  I grade conservatively and want to be somewhat accurate to cut down on returns.  Do phrases like "I don't guarantee grade" in the description help if there's someone who wasn't happy with the purchase?  Or does eBay always side with the buyer no matter what you do?  Is it better to just not list a grade overall?

Thanks!

Dont list grade just clear pics and list defects.  No matter how good you are at grading or how conservative you grade, that does not matter.  Because you will be selling to people who DONT know how to grade and will get angry when your grade doesnt align with the mythical grade they have come up with.  I never list grades and my books consistently sell on the high side for similar books.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:26 PM, kav said:

Dont list grade just clear pics and list defects.  No matter how good you are at grading or how conservative you grade, that does not matter.  Because you will be selling to people who DONT know how to grade and will get angry when your grade doesnt align with the mythical grade they have come up with.  I never list grades and my books consistently sell on the high side for similar books.

As a buyer I'm fine with this and happy to spend the time inspecting clear photos listed as I will take more clear photos over a subjective grade any day.  Sadly more often than not they are doctored or angled so that the glare hides the defect. I always assume a defect exists under glare or areas where the photo is cut off and make bids/offers accordingly. Especially if the seller ignores requests for additional photos or posts photos no better than the original ones. My $10 offer on a seller's $30 comic isn't a lowball, its just an assumption of a major defect where the glare, cropped, or blurred photo is.  But none of this matters when the seller ships the comics without a backboard loosely between flimsy cardboard in a bubble mailer or plain envelope. The comic that arrives is almost never in the same condition than when it departed with major corner bends/creases.  So back it goes. :sorry:

I don't know if this is block worthy... but this is some of the most half "essed" packing I have ever seen.  The comics were bigger than the cardboard divided in two that was somehow meant to protect them.  No bags or boards on the books... 

$35 shipped... 

Books were a mess and definitely hurt during transit.  These were not high grade but still this is just half essed.   

I keep getting a lot of stuff like this lately... so I am afraid to file a return because it might be a problem for eBay and me... 

However, I am leaving a neutral at the minimum. 

IMG_9877.jpeg

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't know if this is block worthy... but this is some of the most half "essed" packing I have ever seen.  The comics were bigger than the cardboard divided in two that was somehow meant to protect them.  No bags or boards on the books... 

$35 shipped... 

Books were a mess and definitely hurt during transit.  These were not high grade but still this is just half essed.   

I keep getting a lot of stuff like this lately... so I am afraid to file a return because it might be a problem for eBay and me... 

However, I am leaving a neutral at the minimum. 

Is the seller someone who regularly sells comics or someone who operates an online garage sale on eBay? That to me would be the difference between not dealing with the person again or just offering feedback how (most) comic buyers expect their comics packaged/shipped.  2c

Quick question, I bought a TPB on Tuesday on ebay. It still hasn't shipped. I talked to the seller 2 days ago and he says that he can't find it but he would look hard. I told the seller that if he didn't find it by yesterday to just refund me my money. Should I contact him to get my money back today or do I need to go through ebay for that?

I was looking at an auction to see who was bidding on something. I certainly don't check out a ton of bidders on a regular basis, but I never saw this much bidding activity before. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by wombat

Is there such a thing as an automatic feedback program? It sure seems like some of the bigger sellers leave me an automatic/canned feedback as soon as I leave one for them. It's usually a seller that has 100s of 1000s of feedback, too. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Has feedback become that unimportant that a canned feedback is good enough. I read feedback for every transaction I do ... buyer or seller.

this clown asked me to cancel the order because he couldn't pay  (July 2020)

Dear jsilverjanet,

I am I'll and cannot pay for this item. Please except my sincere apologies and cancel this order. Thank you Bryan.

- brnor-7814

then today i see this

eb.PNG

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Dear jsilverjanet,

I am I'll and cannot pay for this item. Please except my sincere apologies and cancel this order. Thank you Bryan.

- brnor-7814

then today i see this

eb.PNG

If you have not already,  call Ebay and have them remove this. 

It has gotten really bad on Ebay :facepalm:

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Dear jsilverjanet,

- brnor-7814

then today i see this

eb.PNG

Damn $50 book now? 

13 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Dear jsilverjanet,

- brnor-7814

then today i see this

eb.PNG

What the unholy Hel...?

I just wanted to point something out in case it helps just one person and this is probably not breaking news for allot of you. I would strongly advise you NOT selling any gift cards on eBay and accepting payment via Paypal. It appears that Paypal has revised this specific category with respect to seller protection. If you sell a gift card on eBay, the Paypal seller protection clause will not help/protect you. So a buyer can buy your gift card, use it and then do a charge back. Buyer is protected but you will be left hanging.

I'm not sure what the recourse is on the eBay side of this kind of scenario. 

Cheers. 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:34 AM, Gaard said:

Is there such a thing as an automatic feedback program? It sure seems like some of the bigger sellers leave me an automatic/canned feedback as soon as I leave one for them. It's usually a seller that has 100s of 1000s of feedback, too. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Has feedback become that unimportant that a canned feedback is good enough. I read feedback for every transaction I do ... buyer or seller.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/automatic-feedback-settings?id=4101