• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Quick question:

Is the basementcomics on eBay legit? Are they a member here?

Asking because the person handling their eBay sales sent me a response that’s a bit odd. 

That’s Al Stoltz. He’s been around forever and is/was an Overstreet Advisor, but I’ve no idea who handles the eBay stuff.

16 hours ago, manetteska said:

1. It was a joke

2. It was a joke

3. It was a joke but the eBay fees are a killer and not a joke. I don’t understand why another  competitor hasn’t shown up yet. Basically the key thing they have is a decent Search function. 

10% or so between ebay and PayPal do not seem like that much. I suppose if you are laying out hundreds for a store too that does Add up.

free listings are now 200/month so although I had contemplated a store in the past and even had one for some promo period, no need for that for me at least with 200/month....if needed that is up to 400 at any one time if maximized

10 hours ago, steveinthecity said:
16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Quick question:

Is the basementcomics on eBay legit? Are they a member here?

Asking because the person handling their eBay sales sent me a response that’s a bit odd. 

That’s Al Stoltz. He’s been around forever and is/was an Overstreet Advisor, but I’ve no idea who handles the eBay stuff.

It's been a while, but I've bought from him on ebay before with no issues.

On 2/3/2017 at 12:14 AM, Logan510 said:

I meant to say two this week...which I found unusual :)

Your scenario has also happened to me..which I also find weird. Why not just wait until the offer is responded to?

Why not respond as soon as you saw the offer instead of waiting for an hour? Would you have waited even longer? Nothing weird about it. Buyer wanted the book. You didn't respond. Good for you. Not so good for him.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

Why not respond as soon as you saw the offer instead of waiting for an hour? Would you have waited even longer? Nothing weird about it. Buyer wanted the book. You didn't respond. Good for you. Not so good for him.

I do not remember the context from this 4 year old quote lol

I've been here since 2009, you couldn't find anything older to respond to?

:baiting:

11 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I do not remember the context from this 4 year old quote lol

I've been here since 2009, you couldn't find anything older to respond to?

:baiting:

Haha. Guess not. Just happened to be reading an ebay thread. Getting a feel for a thread I hadn't read yet.

The context was an offer was seen, time went by with no response and the buyer paid full price for what he wanted. Even though the seller got an offer and time went buy. So he could have responded when he saw the offer. Leaves a buyer hanging. If I see make an offer, I make an offer. If no one responds in a decent amount of time, I retract the offer and look elsewhere. I even got blocked from buying from a seller because I made an reasonable offer on a make an offer listing. He didn't go for it and I forgot about it. Months later, I made an offer to the same seller. I was told I was blocked from making an offer. ????

Contacted him and he said "You must have made me mad or something." I said "I think I only made an offer. I don't make lowball offers so what gives?" He never responded. I'm still blocked from making an offer. 5 years later. I don't make a pain of myself on ebay. I just move on.

From my POV, the guy with the money, I appreciate timely responses to offers even if the answer is "no". And yes. An hour + isn't something I expect a response to. But the seller saw the offer and didn't respond for over an hour. He got the sale anyway. Guess the buyer was antsy.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Haha. Guess not. Just happened to be reading an ebay thread. Getting a feel for a thread I hadn't read yet.

The context was an offer was seen, time went by with no response and the buyer paid full price for what he wanted. Even though the seller got an offer and time went buy. So he could have responded when he saw the offer. Leaves a buyer hanging. If I see make an offer, I make an offer. If no one responds in a decent amount of time, I retract the offer and look elsewhere. I even got blocked from buying from a seller because I made an reasonable offer on a make an offer listing. He didn't go for it and I forgot about it. Months later, I made an offer to the same seller. I was told I was blocked from making an offer. ????

Contacted him and he said "You must have made me mad or something." I said "I think I only made an offer. I don't make lowball offers so what gives?" He never responded. I'm still blocked from making an offer. 5 years later. I don't make a pain of myself on ebay. I just move on.

From my POV, the guy with the money, I appreciate timely responses to offers even if the answer is "no". And yes. An hour + isn't something I expect a response to. But the seller saw the offer and didn't respond for over an hour. He got the sale anyway. Guess the buyer was antsy.

EBay says you have 24 or whatever hours to respond, but you retract offers because you think it should be quicker? That's your choice, but it doesn't seem reasonable. Not everyone is constantly checking ebay.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

EBay says you have 24 or whatever hours to respond, but you retract offers because you think it should be quicker? That's your choice, but it doesn't seem reasonable. Not everyone is constantly checking ebay.

Oh no. I don't retract offers that quickly. I was trying to illustrate that I retract offers but only if it's one or two days later with no response. I didn't make that clear.

I was also commenting that the particular seller SAW an offer. And an hour later SAW the buyer had purchased the book at full price. So, the seller did NOT respond when he saw the offer and an hour later, knowing he had an offer, did not respond. Good for him. He got his buy it now. Not so good for the buyer. Guess I'm saying if I were an ebay seller and saw an offer I could live with, I'd respond when I saw it. I have made offers to Make An Offer posts and it became clear they were NOT accepting offers. So, I move on.

There's a way to know if you're offer was seen by the seller? There's so many times that I wonder if my offer was seen yet, so I can start to look elsewhere if it isn't accepted. Sometimes I get too impatient.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Oh no. I don't retract offers that quickly. I was trying to illustrate that I retract offers but only if it's one or two days later with no response. I didn't make that clear.

I was also commenting that the particular seller SAW an offer. And an hour later SAW the buyer had purchased the book at full price. So, the seller did NOT respond when he saw the offer and an hour later, knowing he had an offer, did not respond. Good for him. He got his buy it now. Not so good for the buyer. Guess I'm saying if I were an ebay seller and saw an offer I could live with, I'd respond when I saw it. I have made offers to Make An Offer posts and it became clear they were NOT accepting offers. So, I move on.

Sometimes I want to think on it. The other day a different offer came in $15 higher as I was in the middle of a series of offers and counters so that was that.

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Are we talking about ebay or facebook?

On 3/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, the blob said:

Another thing is folks obsessing over tracking information. They do not understand that, depending on the post office, your package might not even get into the tracking system for 1-4+ days. My post office is really big, and they used to have at least 4-5 people scurrying around inside, now it is 2, tops. Stuff takes days to get scanned into tracking unless I wait on line for 40 minutes and hand it to a clerk. I tell this to people who are insisting I have not mailed a package yet, but it goes over their head. I have someone I KNOW is going to give me grief, even though like 2 hours after he accused me of not having mailed the package, all of a sudden tracking shows it is one state over from me. If ebay's estimated time for arrival has not come and gone, why are you harassing me?? And I send almost everything 1st class or priority, not media like most ebay sellers, so even if there is a delay in tracking info appearing, chances are it will get there a week sooner.

The flip side of this though is patience only goes so far. I now have a book coming to me with the dreaded "In Transit, Arriving Late" status. Supposed to arrive on 3/18 and now it's stuck who knows where - left the Chicago distro center on 3/17 mid-day, which usually means it goes to my local hub the next morning and is out for delivery the same day or the next - but instead it says "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

Because I'm impatient and also have little confidence in the system, I did a Post Office inquiry today and find out the guy shipped the slab media mail (never mind the fact I paid $13 [I now see it was $10, but still] for shipping)... Post office said media mail can take up to four weeks or more to get to me, so I should just be patient. Well, that's not my strong suit, especially when I wasn't informed that my shipping cost/option was media mail, which apparently isn't even valid for comics in the first place. I also have 3 other shipments on the way, and one of those appears to also be media mail, and even though they shipped later they've all since cleared the Chicago hub as per usual according to tracking.

The seller has a perfect feedback record and I'm a generally nice person who gives the benefit of doubt, so now I'm in a position of fouling up their perfect record because I'm really not happy and they really shouldn't be sending slabs via media mail... :mad:

Edited by Jesse-Lee
Wrong ship price

8 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

The flip side of this though is patience only goes so far. I now have a book coming to me with the dreaded "In Transit, Arriving Late" status. Supposed to arrive on 3/18 and now it's stuck who knows where - left the Chicago distro center on 3/17 mid-day, which usually means it goes to my local hub the next morning and is out for delivery the same day or the next - but instead it says "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

Because I'm impatient and also have little confidence in the system, I did a Post Office inquiry today and find out the guy shipped the slab media mail (never mind the fact I paid $13 [I now see it was $10, but still] for shipping)... Post office said media mail can take up to four weeks or more to get to me, so I should just be patient. Well, that's not my strong suit, especially when I wasn't informed that my shipping cost/option was media mail, which apparently isn't even valid for comics in the first place. I also have 3 other shipments on the way, and one of those appears to also be media mail, and even though they shipped later they've all since cleared the Chicago hub as per usual according to tracking.

The seller has a perfect feedback record and I'm a generally nice person who gives the benefit of doubt, so now I'm in a position of fouling up their perfect record because I'm really not happy and they really shouldn't be sending slabs via media mail... :mad:

Being charged $10 for media mail and waiting forever and being impatient is a bit different than freaking over USPS being slow with scanning. I don't send media normally because I don't want emails cfor 3 weeks. Although that happened to me with a slab sent priority 10 miles away too. Those emails made sense, the buyer was worried, not mad atme.complaining 

Edited by the blob

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Being charged $10 for media mail and waiting forever and being impatient is a bit different than freaking over USPS being slow with scanning. I don't send media normally because I don't want emails cfor 3 weeks. Although that happened to me with a slab sent priority 10 miles away too. Those emails made sense, the buyer was worried, not mad atme.complaining 

Yeah - that's true. As I buyer I try to give sellers even more benefit of the doubt these days with the way USPS seems overloaded/having issues; especially since that's out of the seller's hands (unless they're sending Media and not being up front about it).

18 hours ago, the blob said:

Sometimes I want to think on it. The other day a different offer came in $15 higher as I was in the middle of a series of offers and counters so that was that.

I understand. When I sell stuff, I already have an amount in mind that I would accept as reasonable if I entertain an offer. I want $500 for this book. I would accept $450 or $425. Something like that.

20 hours ago, Gaard said:

There's a way to know if you're offer was seen by the seller? There's so many times that I wonder if my offer was seen yet, so I can start to look elsewhere if it isn't accepted. Sometimes I get too impatient.

I imagine it's in either notifications or messages, right? The little red thing shows up when I get a response from a seller. They must get the same thing with offers.