• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,164 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Whats going on w ebay's sold feed.. all completed sales are not displaying .. usually under results with fewer words section

I noticed too, also the high to low wouldn't show :sumo:

It was hard to look for invincible :(

OK, so I have been adding the offer option to auctions. It has actually resulted in some sales and is free, so why not?

But what is it with the folks offering me 50-65% of my opening bid a day after I list the auction? Really? I swear, I am getting punished for all my lowball offers over the years. But when I am selling a group of 3 copies that tend to sell for $75-80, with an opening bid of $50, am I really going to accept a $35 offer 12 hours after I began a 7 day auction? I had another auction with a $100 start and was offered $50, Based on prior sales it should sell for $150 or so.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

OK, so I have been adding the offer option to auctions. It has actually resulted in some sales and is free, so why not?

But what is it with the folks offering me 50-65% of my opening bid a day after I list the auction? Really? I swear, I am getting punished for all my lowball offers over the years. But when I am selling a group of 3 copies that tend to sell for $75-80, with an opening bid of $50, am I really going to accept a $35 offer 12 hours after I began a 7 day auction? I had another auction with a $100 start and was offered $50, Based on prior sales it should sell for $150 or so.

Yep - got to get tough skin when you accept offers.  At first I set the auto-reject to be 50% or lower but I kind of like to see if a book is getting a ton of offers no matter how low so I can double check to see if the offers are good (due to lower demand or cost then when I posted it).  I get offers of 35% off the same day I post books which can be tiresome but I get a lot of buyers who I took the time to go back and forth with.  

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, the blob said:

@the blob People are looking for a steal, doesn't surprise me...and so many Best Offers are from bored tire-kickers with no real intent to buy, I get tons of those and love the auto-reject feature. But we know eBay is the world's largest comic-buying audience so you just laugh and move on. Question though...I have been doing straight up BIN with Best Offer for years and years but the past few months have had spectacular results with straight auctions starting at 99 cents. Now these are usually big bronze/silver keys, so I'm wondering what kind of books you are listing and having success with auction/best offer? Trendy, high-demand? Current or Bronze/Silver? In the past (and I know things have changed DRAMATICALLY lately) if you listed a book at auction with a starting bid at or close to the minimum you would take for it, the bidding action and interest level was always dramatically lower than an auction starting at a penny or 99 cents. You feel this is an effective strategy now and you are happy with the prices you are getting?

2 hours ago, the blob said:

This is interesting to hear because I'm someone who tends to make a lot of offers on stuff vs BIN or waiting for an auction to end. I always wonder how the seller receives offers; as in, do they get insulted/annoyed or is it just par for the course? To be fair, I don't do ridiculous low-balls, but I do my homework and I do look for deals where I can get them. But I've offered exactly opening bid before and gotten mixed results - sometimes they jump on them and sometimes they counter with like double opening bid, at which point I assume they just want to see how the auction goes.

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

This is interesting to hear because I'm someone who tends to make a lot of offers on stuff vs BIN or waiting for an auction to end. I always wonder how the seller receives offers; as in, do they get insulted/annoyed or is it just par for the course? To be fair, I don't do ridiculous low-balls, but I do my homework and I do look for deals where I can get them. But I've offered exactly opening bid before and gotten mixed results - sometimes they jump on them and sometimes they counter with like double opening bid, at which point I assume they just want to see how the auction goes.

opening bid I don't have a problem with. i might not take it, but i don't have a problem. 5-10% below, maybe not a problem either. but half?

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

opening bid I don't have a problem with. i might not take it, but i don't have a problem. 5-10% below, maybe not a problem either. but half?

Yeah, half is ridiculous, especially on a fresh auction. I'll admit, I have gone low on some if I know they went unsold and were re-listed, just to see if they might just want to get rid of the stock. But I've never gone as low as half, and if I feel it's overpriced I usually just ignore it rather than try to offer at FMV. I did have a guy selling a book that was like 75% above FMV and I offered 5% over and explained why in my offer. He straight rejected it, which was fine with me. But it sat unsold for a long time, and I don't think it ever did actually sell...

27 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

@the blob People are looking for a steal, doesn't surprise me...and so many Best Offers are from bored tire-kickers with no real intent to buy, I get tons of those and love the auto-reject feature. But we know eBay is the world's largest comic-buying audience so you just laugh and move on. Question though...I have been doing straight up BIN with Best Offer for years and years but the past few months have had spectacular results with straight auctions starting at 99 cents. Now these are usually big bronze/silver keys, so I'm wondering what kind of books you are listing and having success with auction/best offer? Trendy, high-demand? Current or Bronze/Silver? In the past (and I know things have changed DRAMATICALLY lately) if you listed a book at auction with a starting bid at or close to the minimum you would take for it, the bidding action and interest level was always dramatically lower than an auction starting at a penny or 99 cents. You feel this is an effective strategy now and you are happy with the prices you are getting?

I see too many 99 cent auctions finish at 99 cents or $2 or whatever. if it is a medium in demand book you run a real risk. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earth-2-26-New-52-VF-NM-Val-Zod-New-Superman-Bizarro-Batman-DC/174704351763?hash=item28ad30da13:g:kaYAAOSwNHJgWzun  -- $1.75 auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARTH-2-26-DC-Comics-1st-Appearance-Of-Black-Superman-Val-Zod-Movie-TV/133683913868?hash=item1f202ea48c:g:JLQAAOSwTNBgQouj -- $24.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARTH-2-26-DC-Comics-1st-Cover-Black-Superman-Val-Zod-/174682971610?hash=item28abea9dda%3Ag%3Ag4IAAOSwajtgTlgQ&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 - $19.98

All on April 3.

That's a book I would probably start an auction at $14.99 or $19.99. I'm not giving it away for $1.75.

Anyway, I mostly do store listings anyway, but I've been running 10-15 auctions a week too.

Now I understand why so many crappy sellers have 100% feedback. I rarely give negative feedback but both times I have given in the last few months, they were removed.

One was a seller who cancelled my winning bid because it was the only bid and he didn't like the price it sold at.

The other is a seller who sold a NM comic that was horribly overgraded and I requested a return he was rude and called me a liar using pictures that were not of his book.

Why even allow negative feedback for sellers who deserve it if they are just going to get removed.

21 hours ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

I recently did a 10-day auction for a low grade, very hot Bronze Age key with $0.01 starting price . . . was extremely happy with the final bid.   But I agree that unless it is a very hot book, you run a real risk of ending up with a final bid lower that you are comfortable with.  Thus, I also listed two other low-grade Silver Age keys that are less in demand, with starting bids which I was willing to accept since I needed the cash, but both ended up with final bids just over double those minimums.  Although definitely less bidding action on those two.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, OuterboroGuy said:

I recently did a 10-day auction for a low grade, very hot Bronze Age key with $0.01 starting price . . . was extremely happy with the final bid.   But I agree that unless it is a very hot book, you run a real risk of ending up with a final bid lower that you are comfortable with.  Thus, I also listed two other low-grade Silver Age keys that are less in demand, with starting bids which I was willing to accept since I needed the cash, but both ended up with final bids just over double those minimums.  Although definitely less bidding action on those two.

Even though there was less action, were you happy with the end-result of the 2 you listed with high starting bids? If they had been Best Offer listings would you have accepted the two prices they ended at as offers?

1 hour ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

Even though there was less action, were you happy with the end-result of the 2 you listed with high starting bids? If they had been Best Offer listings would you have accepted the two prices they ended at as offers?

I was very happy with the end result.  Since it was an auction, I was ready to accept the minimum opening bids, and they closed at 2x that.  Probably if I had listed it BIN with best offer, I would have probably set the auto-accept about 25% higher than the minimum bids I used.  So overall, I did better with the auction on the two Silver Age keys than I would have if had listed them BIN.  Whether that reflects poor valuation skills on my part, or an overheated market, I don't know. 

I bought an item from China and after i bought it there's no tracking just an expected delivery date of 1-3 months later.  Its been 2 1/2 months-how can I file a refund if ebay only does refunds before 30 days?  any help appreciated.