• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

OMG now her emails are getting nasty rude..

she says by the position of the doll they have been collecting these for years and it is obviously repackaged..I said I could take it back

and she isn't sure if she will send it back or not...okay..

I explained I purchased these as old store stock and couldn't see any defects to my eye.the pictures are pretty self explanatory..

I was like.... well I can refund your money

but am I wrong to expect the item back??or pictures to show the obvious stuff she is talking about that I do not see??

I am not saying it this way to her I am trying to be nice like cookies and milk..

She says "Don't worry I will leave appropriate feedback for a seller like you"

This buyer is trying to get money back and keep the item. It's a very common game unfortunately. Sometimes its appropriate when an item is damaged or isn't as it was described in the listing. However, like you did already, when a seller offers a full refund you are covering your bases. This person knows how to exploit ebay's buyer bias and is just part of doing business there. Offer full refund and just say you never do partial refunds. Say how sorry you are and are 100% customer service and want to refund her money entirely and blah blah blah. Get your stuff back and sell to other buyers who are honest.

Hi guys..I am Ebaying to try to raise some money for some stuff..and I have a situation.

I listed a collectible giant bear... The last time I checked prices on it they were if memory serves ..$275-300.

But now several years later I find no listings for them. A database online that used to be the go to price guide..no longer exists.

So I took a bunch of pictures and not even knowing what this plush animal was named listed it with a BIN of $375..I mean I am raising money for something important so I wanted to at least try to catch a late night crack bidder. I figured if it didn't sell I would relist cheaper.

Within minutes of listing,I get a message. I did not offer "or best offer"I just flat out listed it for the $375. Person emails and says she must have it for her daughter but has bought "dozens" of them and never paid more than $100 for one. I told her I would think about taking an offer. She emailed me 6 times in half an hour. I told her I was at work and would respond when I got home. She emailed twice more. I got an email from someone else who gave me the correct name for it and said it was the artist's "earlier work" and that she hadn't seen one sell in years but similar aged works sell from $250-450.

So in the meantime the first person keeps emailing..I am really on the fence.

Would you just block her?? Because even though she is interested and $100 offer is better than no offer..so many emails in such a short time..make me think she is kind of trouble. Plus I may still be able to get $375 or $250 etc..more than $100 if I wait..

Do you think a person emailing like 12 times about an item is kind of excessive?? Especially when 6 of them are within the first half hour the item is listed.

Anyway I do need the money but don't know if I need the hassle of the person.

Just tell her an expert told you this is easily worth $450, so you feel $375 is very fair and non-negotiable at this time. If you block her and she is insane she may just used another name.

I find it kind of devious on the buyer's part when the seller offers to take the item back for a refund and the buyer doesn't want to give the item back.

I don't play the partial refund game on ebay. There was a guy buying many slabbed ASM 300s a long time ago who apparently routinely went back to the sellers claiming the slab was cracked, probably going after the sellers who did not take a picture of every angle of the case and could not prove it was not cracked before. He was looking for the cost of his re-holder each time. Anyway, after I contacted some of the others he had bought from and learned he had the same cracked slab complaint with them I figured it was a con because we couldn't all be sending out cracked slabs, I told him I would take the whole book back and pay for his return shipping, but I would not give a partial refund. Needless to say, he never sent the book back. (Probably because he won the 9.4 for $99.99 at a time when it was like a $130-$150 book)

Do you think a person emailing like 12 times about an item is kind of excessive?? Especially when 6 of them are within the first half hour the item is listed.

Yes, it is excessive. $100 on a $375 item is a pathetic lowball offer. The incessant emailing is a form of pressure, even if the words themselves are not pressuring. Just the excess of it alone is pressure. Always step back from a high-pressure person.

In my experience, "I need it for my daughter" is code for "I want to make a profit and here's a story to make you feel like you're doing me a favor by becoming my sucker."

OMG now her emails are getting nasty rude.. she says by the position of the doll they have been collecting these for years and it is obviously repackaged..

B.S.

but am I wrong to expect the item back??

Nope.

or pictures to show the obvious stuff she is talking about that I do not see??

This is a very uncooperative person, so you probably won't get pictures.

She says "Don't worry I will leave appropriate feedback for a seller like you"

Feedback extortion. Call eBay.

Sorry you got in the crosshairs of a scammer dillweed like this. It happens to all of us eventually. It never ceases to suck.

Hi guys..I am Ebaying to try to raise some money for some stuff..and I have a situation.

I listed a collectible giant bear... The last time I checked prices on it they were if memory serves ..$275-300.

But now several years later I find no listings for them. A database online that used to be the go to price guide..no longer exists.

So I took a bunch of pictures and not even knowing what this plush animal was named listed it with a BIN of $375..I mean I am raising money for something important so I wanted to at least try to catch a late night crack bidder. I figured if it didn't sell I would relist cheaper.

Within minutes of listing,I get a message. I did not offer "or best offer"I just flat out listed it for the $375. Person emails and says she must have it for her daughter but has bought "dozens" of them and never paid more than $100 for one. I told her I would think about taking an offer. She emailed me 6 times in half an hour. I told her I was at work and would respond when I got home. She emailed twice more. I got an email from someone else who gave me the correct name for it and said it was the artist's "earlier work" and that she hadn't seen one sell in years but similar aged works sell from $250-450.

Would you just block her?? Because even though she is interested and $100 offer is better than no offer..so many emails in such a short time..make me think she is kind of trouble. Plus I may still be able to get $375 or $250 etc..more than $100 if I wait..

Just tell her an expert told you this is easily worth $450, so you feel $375 is very fair and non-negotiable at this time. If you block her and she is insane she may just used another name.

The times I have run into buyers like this have never been worth the time. They ask for the world and if you agree to something, they then ask for free shipping, and then the next favor--- they are annoying and if you get that feeling they are this type, block them immediately. They can still somehow send you messages even after blocked and some got pretty rude (and made me feel smart for blocking them). Once you do block them-- never respond again.

In some cases, I have simply ended the listing and blocked them. I then relisted the item on another account (where they were also blocked) and eventually the item sold for what I was hoping to get-- usually twice or more than the low ball PITA offer.

Hi guys..I am Ebaying t

I would block that buyer every day and twice on Sundays. Buyers like that are nothing but trouble. 2c

Did Ebay just, as in today, reduce the shipping discount (on first class?). I just printed a bunch of 13 oz lables yesterday and they cost me $3.50 each. today it was $3.88. or did i get some crummy user ratings (I have no negatives) and now I'm getting less as a result? for 13 oz i get a 10% discount. i cannot remember what it was yesterday.

Did Ebay just, as in today, reduce the shipping discount (on first class?). I just printed a bunch of 13 oz lables yesterday and they cost me $3.50 each. today it was $3.88. or did i get some crummy user ratings (I have no negatives) and now I'm getting less as a result? for 13 oz i get a 10% discount. i cannot remember what it was yesterday.

Discount reduced. I am getting $3.88 on 13 oz.

I think it's across the board too, Priority, media mail, etc.

8oz First Class USPS used to be $2.60, today it's $2.77

It's not Ebay discount that changed, it's USPS shipping charges that increased: Postal Service Announces 2017 Shipping Prices

I think it's across the board too, Priority, media mail, etc.

8oz First Class USPS used to be $2.60, today it's $2.77

It's not Ebay discount that changed, it's USPS shipping charges that increased: Postal Service Announces 2017 Shipping Prices

The tiers changed also. Everything up to 5 ounces is like $2.61 now (the old price for up to 8 oz), and 8 oz is now around $2.77.

The really jacked up the Priority Legal Flat Rate. Was $5.60, now $6.05.

Yeah, noticed that last night, really, really sucks. 45 cents adds up quick when you're shipping out a bunch of books.

Ok folks, it's been a while since I've had a problem transaction (knock on wood) but I have a minor issue and thought I'd see what you all think.

I have a cheap book up for sale, 14.99 asking price. Buyer offers $13, I accept. Four days pass with no payment, eBay starts the automated unpaid item process. Suddenly (go figure) receive a message from the buyer telling me his phone was broken, he was out of town, etc and oh by the way he also realized he already owns this book, wants me to cancel the transaction.

My initial thought in these situations is generally "screw 'em" and let the automated process do its thing and record an unpaid strike. But today I'm feeling generous, so I think well, maybe I'll cancel. So I have to turn off the UPI, but I can't close the case without answering "Yes" he paid me (which he hasn't), because the "No" option is greyed out until the timeline passes (another four days.)

I sent him a message explaining this to him, and haven't heard back, but my question is, in these situations, do any of you end up with headaches if the buyer ends up paying after all, like revenge feedback, returns with the books messed up, etc? I've been selling for 20 years and have never had a bad experience like that, but it's been a few months since I sold on eBay and haven't run into a NPB in a while, and was wondering what I might expect these days.

Thanks for your input!

i just find some reason they allow to cancel and i get my fees back. not worth going to war.

Yeah, I was going to, but since eBay automatically opened the unpaid item case, I can't cancel the order because a case is still open. If he'd emailed me before the case opened, I would have done that for sure. But now I'm sorta stuck, as far as I can tell.