• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,164 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, Montezuma said:

This is just another e-bay rant, but I need to get a little of the bile out of my system. cydoraswardrobe2011  sold me a lot and charged me $12 for shipping, no problem, the shipping was listed in the auction and  I figured it in my price. The seller then shipped the lot in a USPS priority flat rate box with a media mail label for $6.05 shipping on the box. Of course the USPS hit me with a postage due of $7.55 because I had to pay the difference between media and Priority. (Yes I should have refused the box, but like the fool I am I figured the seller would make me whole). Of course he didn't, his first response was that I was wrong and it hadn't been a priority box, I sent a picture disproving that, then the response was basically tough.

All this is normal e-bay BS and I can live with it, but he was a "Top Rated Seller", and 49 minutes after I left appropriate negative feedback saying

"Item was nice, but charges $12 for shipping, package came prioity $7.55 pst due "

he got e-bay to change it to a neural.  That's the part that gets to me, Ive left nearly 8,000 feedbacks on e-bay and less than a dozen are negative, this one should have stood.

Rant over feeling better

Crime%20and%20Punishment%2067_zpsfqepltj

A similar thing happened to me (not media mail though) and I had to pay the difference in weight. I paid the extra $10 and figured we could work it out. Seller refused to pay the difference. I tried to open a return but eBay sided with him. I could have fought, but $10 is not worth the time and stress.

Here is someone to block.  jr81784 . I just got off the phone with eBay and it's "a compromised account". He/she bid on one of my books ending tonight and withdrew just before the 12 hour mark, saying "bid wrong amoutn" yet, they didn't make another bid (which is required for that excuse).

Seems they have withdrawn on 7 other bids this year. 

eBay says the account has been compromised. I asked why they didn't do something after 7 other withdrawn bids, but I didn't really get an answer.

On 3/30/2017 at 2:25 PM, Montezuma said:

This is just another e-bay rant, but I need to get a little of the bile out of my system. cydoraswardrobe2011  sold me a lot and charged me $12 for shipping, no problem, the shipping was listed in the auction and  I figured it in my price. The seller then shipped the lot in a USPS priority flat rate box with a media mail label for $6.05 shipping on the box. Of course the USPS hit me with a postage due of $7.55 because I had to pay the difference between media and Priority. (Yes I should have refused the box, but like the fool I am I figured the seller would make me whole). Of course he didn't, his first response was that I was wrong and it hadn't been a priority box, I sent a picture disproving that, then the response was basically tough.

All this is normal e-bay BS and I can live with it, but he was a "Top Rated Seller", and 49 minutes after I left appropriate negative feedback saying

"Item was nice, but charges $12 for shipping, package came prioity $7.55 pst due "

he got e-bay to change it to a neural.  That's the part that gets to me, Ive left nearly 8,000 feedbacks on e-bay and less than a dozen are negative, this one should have stood.

Rant over feeling better

Crime%20and%20Punishment%2067_zpsfqepltj

Nice book ! I'm shocked that the PO took a priority box marked Media mail, I was told you can only go up, not down with the free boxes. For example, I could use the regional boxes at a regular rate. Sorry you had to deal with that.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Here is someone to block.  jr81784 . I just got off the phone with eBay and it's "a compromised account". He/she bid on one of my books ending tonight and withdrew just before the 12 hour mark, saying "bid wrong amoutn" yet, they didn't make another bid (which is required for that excuse).

Seems they have withdrawn on 7 other bids this year. 

eBay says the account has been compromised. I asked why they didn't do something after 7 other withdrawn bids, but I didn't really get an answer.

If you withdraw a bid, you are not required (by eBay) to rebid. They can't make you bid again. This is 'Murikah

19 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

If you withdraw a bid, you are not required (by eBay) to rebid. They can't make you bid again. This is 'Murikah

His reason was he bid the wrong amount, in that case you are required to bid. In any case, this is my 2nd "compromised" account in a week. The first one made an offer on a Hulk book, but it seems that account was also taken over.

I have no idea what Murikah has to do with this, I looked it up, but I still don't get it;)

@01TheDude

Direct from the eBay site

Whether you can retract a bid depends on the circumstances and timing of the bid. You can retract a bid for the following reasons:

• You accidentally entered the wrong bid amount due to a typographical error. For example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95. If this happens, you need to reenter the correct bid amount right away. Changing your mind does not qualify as accidentally entering a wrong bid amount.

Edited by skypinkblu

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

His reason was he bid the wrong amount, in that case you are required to bid. In any case, this is my 2nd "compromised" account in a week. The first one made an offer on a Hulk book, but it seems that account was also taken over.

I have no idea what Murikah has to do with this, I looked it up, but I still don't get it;)

@01TheDude

Direct from the eBay site

Whether you can retract a bid depends on the circumstances and timing of the bid. You can retract a bid for the following reasons:

• You accidentally entered the wrong bid amount due to a typographical error. For example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95. If this happens, you need to reenter the correct bid amount right away. Changing your mind does not qualify as accidentally entering a wrong bid amount.

'Murikah as in America

Good luck getting ebay to ever side with a seller in the retracted bid situation. If you haven't noticed yet, the buyers are the ones who have all the power in their system. Personally-- I would rather have someone retract a bid than not pay.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

'Murikah as in America

Good luck getting ebay to ever side with a seller in the retracted bid situation. If you haven't noticed yet, the buyers are the ones who have all the power in their system. Personally-- I would rather have someone retract a bid than not pay.

Not a question of getting him or her to bid, they stole someone's id. However, when you have 7 withdrawn bids, the policy USED to be that that would be grounds for banning. That was my point, that when someone keeps doing that, eBay should pick it up and toss them.

I'm not arguing that they are good for sellers lately. Unless you count lowering the discount for power sellers as a "GooD" thing, lol;)

On 3/30/2017 at 11:25 AM, Montezuma said:

Ridiculous all around -- both on the seller's part and on eBay's part.

7 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Ridiculous all around -- both on the seller's part and on eBay's part.

true-- might need to call ebay a couple of times until you get someone who understands what the problem with this situation actually is and why you should be made whole. That seller sucks.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that I did earn ebay bucks for this past quarter despite not going over the $5 mark. The way the changes read, it made me think they weren't putting that into effect until the next quarter. That is great news for those of us small time buyers on ebay. Granted-- the 1% versus 2% still sucks a a little bit but if you time it right and only pay/buy during the 6-8% promotions-- it is not so bad.

This is a heads up if anyone is possibly bidding or planning to bid on an original art page from The Tick Karma Tornado on eBay right now.  It was not done by Ben Edlund, it's also not even from the issue stated. I message the seller (Sparkle City Comics) a few days ago and was never responded to. I also reported it yet it's still listed and ends later today. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132146837160

It may be too late to get it taken down but just wanted to toss it up here just in case anyone here is considering bidding on it under the impression that it's an Edlund page.

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Sparkle City is crediting it incorrectly?

That is correct.

Ben did not draw that page and it is not from the issue they state it's from. They also spelled Ben's first and last name wrong but it really shouldn't be in the title anyway.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:24 AM, 01TheDude said:

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking and
When she passes, each one she passes goes "ah" ............

Question: I bid early instead of sniping on an item, I was outbid by someone who has 0% bids with the seller I'm trying to buy from, but the person that outbid me DOES have 5 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Obviously, I'm not going to bid again, too many red flags buuuut the question is:

I was the first bidder at $45 with a max bid of $60, the outbidder first bid $57 and I was not outbid, now I am outbid and the top bid is sitting at $61

If he retracts the bid does ebay side with me and it goes back to $45? or if I was offered the item as the 2nd highest bidder, does it go back to $58?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, IntoAnother said:

That is correct.

Ben did not draw that page and it is not from the issue they state it's from. They also spelled Ben's first and last name wrong but it really shouldn't be in the title anyway.

Wow,  pretty surprising as Sparkle City is one of the most reputable dealers on the bay.

18 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Wow,  pretty surprising as Sparkle City is one of the most reputable dealers on the bay.

Update: I received a response from Sparkle City Comics in regards to my message informing them that it was not a Ben Edlund page this morning. 

The message stated that it was an honest mistake from a new writer they are training. They did say they informed the winning bidder which is good, and the winner opted to keep the page.

The page sold for $132 or so which is a fair price for the page imo. I would imagine bidders did some homework or already knew it wasn't Ben's work. Either way, I'm glad it was just a mistake and the auction didn't appear to be influenced by it. 

19 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Question: I bid early instead of sniping on an item, I was outbid by someone who has 0% bids with the seller I'm trying to buy from, but the person that outbid me DOES have 5 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Obviously, I'm not going to bid again, too many red flags buuuut the question is:

I was the first bidder at $45 with a max bid of $60, the outbidder first bid $57 and I was not outbid, now I am outbid and the top bid is sitting at $61

If he retracts the bid does ebay side with me and it goes back to $45? or if I was offered the item as the 2nd highest bidder, does it go back to $58?

Guess I'll give an update too lol Nothin' to see here ;) 

It ended up not selling for much, I emailed the seller stating I might have bid more but there seemed to be a unsavory bidder against me so I didn't. She/he seemed appreciative, as I told them her/him it wasn't their fault and that maybe they could block such a bidder. It went for a fair price and the bidder/retractor didn't win. That bidder probably just wanted to buy it to sell/auction/shill themselves, but I'm a little salty about those kind's of bidders (js)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On April 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Nope your bid will go to next amount up over their retraction.  I hate this, it happened a couple of times to me. Winning the whole auction through with plenty of room until hitting my max bid, Someone bids multiple times to overtake my highest max bid, then they retract to just under my bid. I ended up winning and paid the amount of my max bid. It sucks another reason I place a low bid, then go higher at the end. Luckily the last time was only a $20 bid ( couple months ago). First time it happened to me about 10 years ago bid went an extra $85 :(

3 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Nope your bid will go to next amount up over their retraction.  I hate this, it happened a couple of times to me. Winning the whole auction through with plenty of room until hitting my max bid, Someone bids multiple times to overtake my highest max bid, then they retract to just under my bid. I ended up winning and paid the amount of my max bid. It sucks another reason I place a low bid, then go higher at the end. Luckily the last time was only a $20 bid ( couple months ago). First time it happened to me about 10 years ago bid went an extra $85 :(

Snap :( it's happened to me a couple of times too, I emailed the seller and they seemed understanding of why I didn't bid more, another one will come along :)