• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

Recently purchased a book from ebay and was a little upset when i noticed that the seller shipped the comic via USPS Media Mail. I have had very bad experiences with Media Mail in the past so i usually try to avoid sellers that use the shipping method. Regardless package was delivered today and this is what showed up...

IMAG0939.jpg

To make things worse upon opening the package i was mortified to see that all the shipper did was throw the comic in the box and toss 3 bubble mailers on top as packaging material....one bubble mailer had a plastic bag stuffed inside for cushion i guess??? 

IMAG0941.jpg

Thankfully the comic was fine but holy hell the amounts of "no craps" given is amazing!

IMAG0942.jpg

Hit them on their 5 star ratings if you don't want to give a negative or neutral FB. This is horrible shipping.

23 hours ago, Foley said:

Question for you guys. I have a fair offer pending, but the potential buyer has what seem to me to be red flags. Either that or ebay has made some changes I'm unaware of, I don't sell very often and haven't in a couple years.

Basically, the buyer joined 1 month ago and has 100% feedback but it looks fishy to me. His profile shows 123 positives (an awful lot for a member who joined a month ago) from various sellers with high feedback,  but his feedback score is 84. Shouldn't these numbers match?

Also, there is no item information shown for any of the transactions. Isn't it supposed to show this for recent transactions?

I'd link the profile but am not sure about the etiquette on that. I'm not going to take the offer, but any insight on the 2 questions above would be much appreciated.

I have something like 1500 positives this year and 538 lifetime positive feedback.

1 book purchased by a unique user for $250 = 1 positive FB

50 books purchased by a unique user during multiple $0.99 auctions and invoiced together  = 1 positive FB

People who buy feedback have racked up tons of $0.02 sales in the past few weeks.

1 hour ago, Lego said:

Me: *Selling a book for $115*

Buyer: *Offers $50*

Me: *Counter-offers $114.99*

Buyer: *Counter-offers $50.02*

Me: *Counter-offers for $115*

Must be the time of year for the ultra low ball offers (between school starting and the Holiday spending).  I usually give a small discount for the low ball offer and then decline all future offers if they don't come up a bunch.

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Must be the time of year for the ultra low ball offers (between school starting and the Holiday spending).  I usually give a small discount for the low ball offer and then decline all future offers if they don't come up a bunch.

I don't honestly understand why someone would waste their time lowballing like this (my post above was a real exchange between a buyer and I), as it wastes my time and their own.  Sometimes when I get a lowball offer I'll just counter with the original price and not even bother being a smartass - anything to force them to click.

What I have noticed is there's very little haggling actually happening with these "BO" deals.  What usually seems to happen is, when I get a reasonable offer (within 30% of my list), I'll knock 5% off the price and the buyer, more often than not, accepts.  No counter-offers beyond that.  If it were me, I'd probably try to erode the seller a bit more.  (shrug)

9 minutes ago, Lego said:

I don't honestly understand why someone would waste their time lowballing like this (my post above was a real exchange between a buyer and I), as it wastes my time and their own.  Sometimes when I get a lowball offer I'll just counter with the original price and not even bother being a smartass - anything to force them to click.

What I have noticed is there's very little haggling actually happening with these "BO" deals.  What usually seems to happen is, when I get a reasonable offer (within 30% of my list), I'll knock 5% off the price and the buyer, more often than not, accepts.  No counter-offers beyond that.  If it were me, I'd probably try to erode the seller a bit more.  (shrug)

Didn't you already whine about this on Facebook already?

I don't know what makes buyers think the seller would accept a low ball offer?  

I've gotten hit with "That's all the money I have"  

I'll email back..."Ok, save some more money and then come back and buy it" lol  

Then again there are sellers who's idea of a "best offer" is to only knock off 1 or 2 dollars.  Like why bother having a BO available at that point? 

7 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Then again there are sellers who's idea of a "best offer" is to only knock off 1 or 2 dollars.  Like why bother having a BO available at that point? 

Exactly why I don't counter offer.

If I try a best offer and the seller comes back with an offer that is lower than asking price, I'm not going to try and shave a couple more extra dollars off... When I have a lower offer already and I can accept it and be done with it why risk then not accepting my lower offer again I'm already on pins and needles waiting. Buyers can't risk the seller being in a bad mood, Beggars can't be choosers

27 minutes ago, Lego said:

10 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

the buyer has nothing to lose my making the lowball offer though, so why not?  Maybe you catch a drunk or desperate seller or something.  Like hitting on a random girl way out of your league.  Provided you (or she) don't do something criminal or creepy, and she doesn't know anyone you know, what do you have to lose?

EBay has become so much nicer since I did the following things:

1. Set all listings to BINs with no best offer option.

2. Opted into the global shipping program, domestic shipping is free.

3. Immediate payment required on all listings.

4. All offers coming through messages are ignored.

Cuts out 95% of the headaches. 

3 hours ago, Lego said:

Me: *Selling a book for $115*

Buyer: *Offers $50*

Me: *Counter-offers $114.99*

Buyer: *Counter-offers $50.02*

Me: *Counter-offers for $115*

If you don't have your auto-decline setup to at least 50% of asking you really open yourself up to these kinds of offers. Especially since buyers are now allowed 5 offers, not 3 as it had been forever. Or you're really overpriced.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:39 AM, the blob said:

I have a question..

A buyer made an offer on a few books I had in a lot. He realizes after I accept he does not need one of them. I'm ok, happy to make the sale on the other two.  I come up with a price for the other two and tell him I will try to invoice him a reduced amount. I know I will be eating the ebay fees on the reduction. Whatever.

Ebay does not allow me to give a discount on the invoice that exceeds shipping. I know once upon a time I could adjust the price more than that.  How do I sent an invoice that does so?

Buyer would have to pay full and then you give him a partial refund at that point. Ive had to go this route a few times. Seems to be the only way to do it. Just make sure everything is documented through your messages. Or cancel sale by buyer request and relist correctly. That way you get your fees back from first sale. If you are worried about the buyer totally backing out....... Set up a new BIN for more than selling price, have buyer put in offer. Then cancel the first listing. Then accept offer. If he/she doesnt pay at least you get to report them then.

I received a Nm/Nm+ today.  Close, but  NM-.  I'm getting really tired of this, but seller probably listed just as I did in first sentence if anyone caught that.  Anyway packaging was as follows.  Bubble mailer, followed by 2 priority mailers, followed by the cut up priority "boards".  Now here is where it got weird for me.  In the middle of the sandwich was the comic  with backing board wrapped in small bubble wrap.  Well if I can dent a comic with my finger while I'm holding it that small bubble wrap can dent the comic.  Especially sandwiched between boards.  I was like wtf?  It would have been different had it been the comic with backing board with board on top of comic wrapped in bubblewrap.  Even just the boards would have been better.  Then when I saw the 1/2" crease by the bottom corner and the cb crease on the spine I was like wtf again.  WTF.  Atleast the seller tried to get it to me as good as when shipped.  +1 for that. The press should get it to a 9.4 but that's 8 more bucks after already paying a NM/NM+ price.  Anyone else having real bad luck getting an actual NM/NM+ on ebay lately? 7 out of the last 12  I have purchased off the bay have ranged from 8.5 to 9.2. One had 8 spine creases that weren't all obvious in the scans!  That one almost got returned. 

Edited by Konrad5288

14 hours ago, Konrad5288 said:

Buyer would have to pay full and then you give him a partial refund at that point. Ive had to go this route a few times. Seems to be the only way to do it. Just make sure everything is documented through your messages. Or cancel sale by buyer request and relist correctly. That way you get your fees back from first sale. If you are worried about the buyer totally backing out....... Set up a new BIN for more than selling price, have buyer put in offer. Then cancel the first listing. Then accept offer. If he/she doesnt pay at least you get to report them then.

I wanted to issue a partial refund yesterday to meet the buyer's price. He came back and said, "But I only have $XX in my account."

We made it work but there is always some excuse why it has to get done their way.

13 hours ago, Konrad5288 said:

I received a Nm/Nm+ today.  Close, but  NM-.  I'm getting really tired of this, but seller probably listed just as I did in first sentence if anyone caught that.  Anyway packaging was as follows.  Bubble mailer, followed by 2 priority mailers, followed by the cut up priority "boards".  Now here is where it got weird for me.  In the middle of the sandwich was the comic  with backing board wrapped in small bubble wrap.  Well if I can dent a comic with my finger while I'm holding it that small bubble wrap can dent the comic.  Especially sandwiched between boards.  I was like wtf?  It would have been different had it been the comic with backing board with board on top of comic wrapped in bubblewrap.  Even just the boards would have been better.  Then when I saw the 1/2" crease by the bottom corner and the cb crease on the spine I was like wtf again.  WTF.  Atleast the seller tried to get it to me as good as when shipped.  +1 for that. The press should get it to a 9.4 but that's 8 more bucks after already paying a NM/NM+ price.  Anyone else having real bad luck getting an actual NM/NM+ on ebay lately? 7 out of the last 12  I have purchased off the bay have ranged from 8.5 to 9.2. One had 8 spine creases that weren't all obvious in the scans!  That one almost got returned. 

When I started looking for NM comics on eBay, I used to look at the VFs too because I thought some sellers might be stingy graders or I thought I could press to NM.

Let's just say that now I don't even bother with the VF/NM listings and if it says 9.4, I'll assume its 9.0-9.2, maybe. I look for those raw "9.6s" and "9.8s" if I want a 9.2/4 and bid accordingly.

4 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

When I started looking for NM comics on eBay, I used to look at the VFs too because I thought some sellers might be stingy graders or I thought I could press to NM.

Let's just say that now I don't even bother with the VF/NM listings and if it says 9.4, I'll assume its 9.0-9.2, maybe. I look for those raw "9.6s" and "9.8s" if I want a 9.2/4 and bid accordingly.

Glad Im not the only one. I am a bit stingy on eyeballing them though. The way I look at it is a 9.6 is a 9.8 that just didnt make it and a 9.4 is a 9.2 that looked good. If I added 9.4's and 9.6's it would be way too confusing. So typically on those vf/NM listings AKA 9.0's how are the ebay books looking? Right on, closer to a 9.2, or closer to an 8.5?