• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, fastballspecial said:

Don't know but just as interested to find out.

Here is my issue that just started. I cant print out ebay shipping postage anymore. Did they make an update I need to download. I have to save them as PDF files to print them now which works fine, but it becomes tedious.

There was an IE update last week that screwed things up.

Labels print fine in Chrome.

You have to ad pb.com in compatibility view and it fixes it.

Man, I was killing it all month. Selling great stuff and commons as well. But it has ground to a stop the last few days! And I never sell anything on coupon nights. :sumo:

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Man, I was killing it all month. Selling great stuff and commons as well. But it has ground to a stop the last few days! And I never sell anything on coupon nights. :sumo:

Ebay is making a killing though, Don'cha Know :news:

4 hours ago, jharvey said:

Does anybody know if there is a way on Ebay to see your past sold items from more than 60 days ago? I only see a way to show the last 60 days of sales.

Click on your ebay name

Go to "Items For Sale"

Check "Sold listings" on the left side

It will show your sold items from up to about 90 days ago.

Hi,
being relatively unexperienced as a seller on eBay I have a question.

Slightly less than a month ago I sold a comic book to an american buyer. He paid straight away, so we did not speak, and he choose as the shipping method "Economy".
In my sale, I clearly stated that the only shipping option which allows to check with the Postal service in case of loss or theft is Registered, and thus by choosing any other shipping option the buyer acknowledges that, as soon as I mail the package, the responsibility for the accomplishment of the delivery lies in the hands of the Postal service.

"Economy" is also slow, the comic has not arrived yet (it can happen, as it can take 20-30 days) and the buyer opened a case.
I replied to him advising to wait a few days, as I already experienced similar delays, I reminded him my conditions above.

In case he escalates the case, should I take the full loss and send him a reimbursement?
Should I use "Registered" alone in my future sales (it is expensive).

Thanks much in advance, any advice is very appreciated. :)

32 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Hi,
being relatively unexperienced as a seller on eBay I have a question.

Slightly less than a month ago I sold a comic book to an american buyer. He paid straight away, so we did not speak, and he choose as the shipping method "Economy".
In my sale, I clearly stated that the only shipping option which allows to check with the Postal service in case of loss or theft is Registered, and thus by choosing any other shipping option the buyer acknowledges that, as soon as I mail the package, the responsibility for the accomplishment of the delivery lies in the hands of the Postal service.

"Economy" is also slow, the comic has not arrived yet (it can happen, as it can take 20-30 days) and the buyer opened a case.
I replied to him advising to wait a few days, as I already experienced similar delays, I reminded him my conditions above.

In case he escalates the case, should I take the full loss and send him a reimbursement?
Should I use "Registered" alone in my future sales (it is expensive).

Thanks much in advance, any advice is very appreciated. :)

Tricky one but definitely wait to see what E-Bay says (they will side with him and force you to give him a full refund).  Hopefully the guy is on the up and up and once the package arrives will contact you and pay for the books and no harm no foul.  But if he is a b-bag he will win the case and keep your books.  Hope the 1st option happens.

Selling International is always tough.  I usually ship lower price books via International First Class which takes a week or two to arrive but no issues so far.  Higher price books go Priority to cover my behind and provide tracking.  It is up to you to decide if the increase in International sales is worth the risk.  The buyer assumes no risk in this case since E-Bay will side with them no matter what you put in your auctions (or at least it seems they always side with the buyer in these cases).  On the message boards you can state the risk is on the buyer and people will live up to the conditions but on E-Bay it's all on the seller so protect yourself.  Is there anything in between Registered and Economy?  If not I'd always go with registered if it could take a month or more to get delivered since you are sure to get a bunch of negatives if books disappear for a month.  I'd rather have happy buyers who are willing to pay a bit extra over pissed off buyers who don't get their packages.

Edited by 1Cool

Thanks much for the explanation Andrew, that’s what I needed most to know: that whatever you put as your conditions is basically ignored by eBay. That’s bad.
The book is not expensive, but what I don’t like is the concept that, if by agreement we choose a non-trackable method, I should be held responsible for the loss. The Postal service is, so why should I pay in full? I told him that out of good will we could split the loss, but I am sure that eBay will behave like you said.

Registered is VERY expensive. If I sell common books (in the $10-40 range), I would have liked to offer an alternative. There is Priority, which takes less (10-12 days) , more or less like your First Class, but it just costs more but does not offer tracking. In this case, it was a $35 book plus $11 shipping.

Edited by vaillant

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

Thanks much for the explanation Andrew, that’s what I needed most to know: that whatever you put as your conditions is basically ignored by eBay. That’s bad.
The book is not expensive, but what I don’t like is the concept that, if by agreement we choose a non-trackable method, I should be held responsible for the loss. The Postal service is, so why should I pay in full? I told him that out of good will we could split the loss, but I am sure that eBay will behave like you said.

Registered is VERY expensive. If I sell common books (in the $10-40 range), I would have liked to offer an alternative. There is Priority, which takes less (10-12 days) , more or less like your First Class, but it just costs more but does not offer tracking. In this case, it was a $35 book plus $11 shipping.

I'd go with Priority for lower price books (your $35 item) and save Registered for the big books that would hurt if lost.  Lost packages don't happen often so I'm willing to take the risk as long as they get there in a couple weeks so the buyer will be happy since they know it's coming from overseas.  The buyers would love the shipping discount but there is no way I'm giving them the discount and then I'm the loser if the book gets lost or is really slow to be delivered. 

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

P.S. Registered would also be quicker, 8-12 days as Priority.

Having delivery confirmation is nice but we in the States run into the same issue.  I can ship a couple books via International Priority for $25 or go First Class for $12.  No one is going to buy a $30 book and spend $25 for shipping but some will pay the $12 and that helps clear out some inventory and I only run a small risk in a package going missing (not happened yet).  Now if its a $200 book then the International buyer better be willing to pay the $25 since a $200 hit is painful.

Thanks for sharing your experience: one might guess but it's very helpful to have a comparision with actual instances. ?

You're absolutely right, although not offering Economy would kill a price range below $30 or so. So far I also sold in UK once, and in Russia and Poland (all happy).

And yes, when the book is expensive ($300-350 or more) I tend to use a courrier and cover the cost difference. In 2-3 business days it gets there and you have peace of mind.