• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, rjpb said:

I was just informed via email by ebay that having 111 sales for a little over 12K total in 2017 puts me in the top 10% of sellers in collectibles ( not just comics but all collectibles). I had no idea it took that little.

The rest of us are just bottom feeders but watch out, I'm close behind you. Just flip the numbers, I'm more like 12k sales for a profit of $111. 

17 hours ago, rjpb said:

I was just informed via email by ebay that having 111 sales for a little over 12K total in 2017 puts me in the top 10% of sellers in collectibles ( not just comics but all collectibles). I had no idea it took that little.

There really is a ton of people who sell a handful of books a month so the upper 10% is pretty easy to obtain.  I wonder how much it takes to get to the upper 5% or 1%.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

There really is a ton of people who sell a handful of books a month so the upper 10% is pretty easy to obtain.  I wonder how much it takes to get to the upper 5% or 1%.

For the top 1% probably being a full time dealer who lists everything on ebay, like Mile High or dtacoll, that sell thousands of dollars worth every week. 

23 hours ago, rjpb said:

good,...you stayed under 20K so you won't get  a W2 form  ( i think,,)

34 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

good,...you stayed under 20K so you won't get  a W2 form  ( i think,,)

Yes, that's somewhat correct. Under 20k means PayPal won't report it to the IRS.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

7 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Is there some serial # that this seller is providing or is he just copying a DVD and sending it to people?

I am guessing they illegally downloaded digital copies and put them on a DVD. Cost about $0.05 and their time.

No compilation and informational Media policies, copyrights, 
resale rights, or any other type infringements have been violated in relation to this listing. 
The materials on this disc have been determined to be in the public
 domain after having been thoroughly researched.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Copper DC and Marvel's are not public domain and the rights have not been released, correct?

21 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I am guessing they illegally downloaded digital copies and put them on a DVD. Cost about $0.05 and their time.

I see.  Well that sounds like this guy is the Napster of digital comic books!  I've seen these listings before but guessed they were comixology licenses or something.  How silly of me.  

26 minutes ago, GM8 said:

I see.  Well that sounds like this guy is the Napster of digital comic books!  I've seen these listings before but guessed they were comixology licenses or something.  How silly of me.  

Napster :cloud9:

20 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Wasn't there something similar after Napster called limewire? 

They worked differently. Napster was based on a community, as far as I understand, but Limewire audience was limited.
Soulseek was nice, it allowed for good exchanges of advice, informations and data on music and media. The piracy is up to the individual.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
No compilation and informational Media policies, copyrights, 
resale rights, or any other type infringements have been violated in relation to this listing. 
The materials on this disc have been determined to be in the public
 domain after having been thoroughly researched.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Copper DC and Marvel's are not public domain and the rights have not been released, correct?

Random grab bags also aren't allowed, but typing into eBay's search bar "comic g" quickly identifies "Comic grab bag" as the top choice (even above "comic golden age").

image.png.6f0605055d508913e6c651c791e3c7d6.png

eBay's policy:

Policy overview

We don't allow listings that sell an opportunity to win an item either by chance or in a skill contest. Specifically, we don't allow listings that promote giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles, or contests. These types of promotions are highly regulated and may be unlawful in many states.

There was a time I would flag these when I see them but there are too many and I can't help out all the fools.

And, as so often is the case, leaving them up gets eBay at least 10% of the sale if not 13%.

On a similar note I was wondering if eBay "double dips" when using eBay gift cards. Meaning I buy a $50 GC and use it on a $50 item. Does eBay also hit the seller for a 10% (or similar) FVF effectively netting $55 on a $50 GC?

Edited by manetteska
more thoughts