• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,140 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Today I used Ebay/PP for the first time to print out the shipping label. (It makes life so much easier, I should've been doing this from the start.) Anyway, I was a little puzzled when I read where it says (in all caps), "DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE". I've received dozens of packages where the barcode is covered with tape. So, is this more of a suggestion, kinda like don't use call phones on planes ... something could happen, but it's very, very unlikely.

I always tape over it and never had an issue.  On the contrary, I didn't do this in the past and on rainy day the untaped area could get wet and smudge or worse.

5 minutes ago, GM8 said:
19 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Today I used Ebay/PP for the first time to print out the shipping label. (It makes life so much easier, I should've been doing this from the start.) Anyway, I was a little puzzled when I read where it says (in all caps), "DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE". I've received dozens of packages where the barcode is covered with tape. So, is this more of a suggestion, kinda like don't use call phones on planes ... something could happen, but it's very, very unlikely.

I always tape over it and never had an issue.  On the contrary, I didn't do this in the past and on rainy day the untaped area could get wet and smudge or worse.

They're actually talking about brown or masking tape which would interfere with the scanning for tracking/payment purposes.  I don't think clear tape is a problem, because they can scan right through it.

However, I always use clear tape, and tape the entire label over, but leave windows for the two coded areas.

15 hours ago, Gaard said:

Just switch to half sheet labels, then no problem. It saves time when you are doing a lot of packages. They are cheap on Amazon, I think last time I bought them at around 3 cents each buying a thousand at a time for decent quality labels.  Plus nice clear tape is expensive, the cheap stuff sux to use. I have not even bought tape in a while, now using the free stuff from ebay.  There is the problem of labels getting wet, etc. which tape can solve. But taping labels is so time consuming. 

17 hours ago, lizards2 said:

They're actually talking about brown or masking tape which would interfere with the scanning for tracking/payment purposes.  I don't think clear tape is a problem, because they can scan right through it.

However, I always use clear tape, and tape the entire label over, but leave windows for the two coded areas.

I've been taping over those areas for years and have never had a problem. I don't feel confident enough to leave any windows; the tape keeps them from getting damaged.

16 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I've been taping over those areas for years and have never had a problem. I don't feel confident enough to leave any windows; the tape keeps them from getting damaged.

I think that's a great idea.  I will probably institute that method from here forward.

18 hours ago, lizards2 said:
18 hours ago, GM8 said:
18 hours ago, Gaard said:

I agree, I think its just to keep dummies from taping masking, or duct tape over the barcode.  Easier just to tell you not to do it at all then let dummies attempt judge for themselves (note: None of the people here are dummies, but we all know how many there are, and its a LOT).

Edited by revat

13 minutes ago, revat said:

I agree, I think its just to keep dummies from taping masking, or duct tape over the barcode.  Easier just to tell you not to do it at all then let dummies attempt judge for themselves (note: None of the people here are dummies, but we all know how many there are, and its a LOT).

Oh come on..., there are plenty of dummies posting here every day.  :sumo: 

I have always left that bar code area free of tape--- I tape all four sides of the label, and then use clear tape over the shipping and return address. Even if the tracking area were to smudge or something, the bottom piece of clear tape covers the actual number just below the bar code so it could be entered manually if they needed to do so-- but in general, the clear tape over the addresses helps it get delivered correctly.

I might think about taping over the bar code going forward. Always thought it had something to do with clear tape reflecting the scanner or something but it appears not to bother it based on everyone else saying they do it. But it might be a hard habit to break as I never taped over it before.

As for labels-- they might be time savers but they are more expensive than the five short pieces of tape I use on the printout. I also like to print the receipt for the postage on that same full sheet of paper (cut it in half, send the label, file the receipt)-- to each their own. I buy cases (36 rolls) of the clear tape rolls through ebay pretty cheaply.

Edited by 01TheDude

29 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

When are we going to get a $15 off $75 code again it has been a while since I saw one.  

There have been two on the app since last time it was for everyone on the site, it seems like a long time..... the last one I remember was end of December on the app...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
whaddya!?! Mean autocorrect can't spell ?!?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There have been two on the app since last time it was for everyone on the site, it seems like a long time..... the last one I remember wad end of December on the app...

the most recent coupon, not for comics, was like a week long and just ended yesterday so I figured another coupon wouldn't hit while that was active. hopefully soon for us 

I noticed something that I thought was worth noting. I sell on my own account and recently started using my wife's account as well for those 50 free listings. Her selling limits skyrocketed past mine (?) even though her feedback was only like 100 and mine is over 1000. But this month was the second month that I noticed something: I get extra listing offers that she does not. This month I got two in addition to the 50 free listings, one for 25 or 50 listings and then the other day one for 100 listings. Those are both short term, 3-5 days. The wife's account has not received the extra free listing offers that I have. I do not have a store on either account.

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

When are we going to get a $15 off $75 code again it has been a while since I saw one.  

There were about 5 or 6 different codes that hit slickdeals front page yesterday for $10 off of $50.

I get the feeling they were supposed to be account targeted, 1 per account only;   but anyone could use all of them, so they didn't last long.  doh!

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I noticed something that I thought was worth noting. I sell on my own account and recently started using my wife's account as well for those 50 free listings. Her selling limits skyrocketed past mine (?) even though her feedback was only like 100 and mine is over 1000. But this month was the second month that I noticed something: I get extra listing offers that she does not. This month I got two in addition to the 50 free listings, one for 25 or 50 listings and then the other day one for 100 listings. Those are both short term, 3-5 days. The wife's account has not received the extra free listing offers that I have. I do not have a store on either account.

I've received 500 free listings twice in the last month on ebay.ca. I hadn't had one in a few months

Okay, so I had an auction that was marked as US shipping only, I even excluded every other location and had the little box checked to block buyers who don't live in a location I ship to. I even added in big red letters to the description "Shipping to United States only" Despite all of this somehow a buyer from Chile won the auction anyways. I decided to go ahead and send him an invoice for shipping to Chile (I figured he wouldn't want to pay $20+ for shipping on a $15 item). Sure enough the next day he messages me and says that he can't afford it and wants to cancel.

If he is unable to make an official request to cancel since more than an hour has passed then I will have to be the one who makes the request to cancel correct? I'm worried though because if I do make the request to cancel he can still leave me negative feedback even though he never paid right? If he does actually leave negative feedback I may be able to get eBay to remove the negative by showing them his message where he says he cannot pay but I feel like there's no guarantee that they'll definitely remove it.

I'm inclined to just let an unpaid item case be opened that way I am protected. Do you guys think this would be best or should I take the chance and request to cancel the transaction?

Edited by Rockyjo3

23 minutes ago, Rockyjo3 said:

Okay, so I had an auction that was marked as US shipping only, I even excluded every other location and had the little box checked to block buyers who don't live in a location I ship to. I even added in big red letters to the description "Shipping to United States only" Despite all of this somehow a buyer from Chile won the auction anyways. I decided to go ahead and send him an invoice for shipping to Chile (I figured he wouldn't want to pay $20+ for shipping on a $15 item). Sure enough the next day he messages me and says that he can't afford it and wants to cancel.

If he is unable to make an official request to cancel since more than an hour has passed then I will have to be the one who makes the request to cancel correct? I'm worried though because if I do make the request to cancel he can still leave me negative feedback even though he never paid right? If he does actually leave negative feedback I may be able to get eBay to remove the negative by showing them his message where he says he cannot pay but I feel like there's no guarantee that they'll definitely remove it.

I'm inclined to just let an unpaid item case be opened that way I am protected. Do you guys think this would be best or should I take the chance and request to cancel the transaction?

When you go to cancel it there is an option that says the buyer wanted to cancel.