• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,164 posts in this topic

I wanted to check in here about an issue that I am having. I purchased a large lot of comics and paid quite a bit for priority shipping ($80) as it's stated in the auction. The seller shipped the books on the 17th but shipped them via media mail. The last tracking update I show is 1/20. The comics were shipped from New Jersey and I'm in Chicago. I know that media mail for the books was nowhere the amount I paid, and while Priority would have been more than the $80 he had listed it was the price in his auction that I paid, so unfortunately that's the fault of the seller and not me (I've made that mistake before and ate the shipping cost).

I messaged the seller and asked why he shipped media if his auctions states priority to which he replied that it would have been over the amount I paid and that shipping media was about $70 though he does not have the receipt.

I noticed also some of the books in the lot that I won he listed separately and sold some of them after he had shipped the lots. At this point I'm not sure if the books are still in route to me and if they are am I still getting the books I saw in the pictures. 

Should or would you open a case?

If I open a case with eBay will I win the case because the books haven't been delivered or will I lose because the books are still "en route".

47 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I wanted to check in here about an issue that I am having. I purchased a large lot of comics and paid quite a bit for priority shipping ($80) as it's stated in the auction. The seller shipped the books on the 17th but shipped them via media mail. The last tracking update I show is 1/20. The comics were shipped from New Jersey and I'm in Chicago. I know that media mail for the books was nowhere the amount I paid, and while Priority would have been more than the $80 he had listed it was the price in his auction that I paid, so unfortunately that's the fault of the seller and not me (I've made that mistake before and ate the shipping cost).

I messaged the seller and asked why he shipped media if his auctions states priority to which he replied that it would have been over the amount I paid and that shipping media was about $70 though he does not have the receipt.

I noticed also some of the books in the lot that I won he listed separately and sold some of them after he had shipped the lots. At this point I'm not sure if the books are still in route to me and if they are am I still getting the books I saw in the pictures. 

If I open a case with eBay will I win the case because the books haven't been delivered or will I lose because the books are still "en route".

You don't want to open a case until the estimated delivery date on the listing has passed. If you open a case while the books are en route and on time eBay will close the case against you and you will have no recourse, doesn't even matter if the seller offers returns nor will you be able to open an item not as described case against him. If the estimated delivery date on the listing has passed then you are safe to open the item not received case. I'm guessing since he advertised priority in the listing the estimated delivery date has indeed passed.  

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm forgiving and as long as I got the books for the price I expected and in a reasonable time then I'll be happy.  Now if he picked out some books after selling you the set then all bets are off but maybe he had multiples of some books and sold those.  I'd wait to see what you get before jumping the gun.

On 1/28/2018 at 4:36 PM, Bird said:

I noticed something that I thought was worth noting. I sell on my own account and recently started using my wife's account as well for those 50 free listings. Her selling limits skyrocketed past mine (?) even though her feedback was only like 100 and mine is over 1000. But this month was the second month that I noticed something: I get extra listing offers that she does not. This month I got two in addition to the 50 free listings, one for 25 or 50 listings and then the other day one for 100 listings. Those are both short term, 3-5 days. The wife's account has not received the extra free listing offers that I have. I do not have a store on either account.

Well, I am home from work (again) today with a sick daughter and lo and behold if ebay didn't give me another 100 free listings. Again, only my account and not my wife's but at least I can do something slightly productive around making her comfortable and cooking.

And I started taping over the barcode! You people are bad influences.

51 minutes ago, Bird said:

And I started taping over the barcode! You people are bad influences.

:headbang:

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm forgiving and as long as I got the books for the price I expected and in a reasonable time then I'll be happy.  Now if he picked out some books after selling you the set then all bets are off but maybe he had multiples of some books and sold those.  I'd wait to see what you get before jumping the gun.

I would agree but...

the item has been in transit for 2 weeks. And I know from shipping Media that it A) it doesn't take that long and B) it didn't cost $70. It says I can open a case on the 2nd. At what point do I draw the conclusion these books aren't showing up.

22 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would agree but...

the item has been in transit for 2 weeks. And I know from shipping Media that it A) it doesn't take that long and B) it didn't cost $70. It says I can open a case on the 2nd. At what point do I draw the conclusion these books aren't showing up.

Maybe start the case on the 2nd and you can cancel it if it arrives.  How big a box is this?  A long box of books?  I agree that media mail will never be $70 since I shipped a long box last year for something like $25 - $30 via media mail.

51 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

2 long boxes

Two long boxes could possibly be in the $60 range which after taking off e-bay fees you are not that far off from $70.  I know they posted priority but two long boxes would have cost WAY more then $70 - heck one long box could be $70.  It would have been nice if they notified you about the change.  So the delivery confirmation shows they are in transit or they never got entered into the system? 

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
58 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

2 long boxes

Two long boxes could possibly be in the $60 range which after taking off e-bay fees you are not that far off from $70.  I know they posted priority but two long boxes would have cost WAY more then $70 - heck one long box could be $70.  It would have been nice if they notified you about the change.  So the delivery confirmation shows they are in transit or they never got entered into the system? 

This is fraud, straight up.  They knew (or reasonably should have known) the cost of shipping priority, and clearly knew what media mail was, and they advertised it KNOWING that they would ship it in a materially different way.  And that way both has done harm to the buyer AND induced potential buyers to pay more than they otherwise would have for the purchase.  This isn't just bad business, its CRIMINAL.  Take all your evidence, get screenshots, get communications, video tape the opening of the packages, get screenshots of the other sales you think might affect your purchase.  And if you don't get EVERY LAST BOOK (or make it right fairly quickly), file a criminal complaint in the seller's jurisdiction (and of course file formal complaints with ebay).  Note that you can file the criminal complaint irrespective of whether you get your money back.  The crime has been committed either way.  In fact, you could probably file now.  THAT's how we stop this stuff from happening, with real people making not just bad but CRIMINAL sellers pay real repercussions. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

This is fraud, straight up.  They knew (or reasonably should have known) the cost of shipping priority, and clearly knew what media mail was, and they advertised it KNOWING that they would ship it in a materially different way.  And that way both has done harm to the buyer AND induced potential buyers to pay more than they otherwise would have for the purchase.  This isn't just bad business, its CRIMINAL.  Take all your evidence, get screenshots, get communications, video tape the opening of the packages, get screenshots of the other sales you think might affect your purchase.  And if you don't get EVERY LAST BOOK (or make it right fairly quickly), file a criminal complaint in the seller's jurisdiction (and of course file formal complaints with ebay).  Note that you can file the criminal complaint irrespective of whether you get your money back.  The crime has been committed either way.  In fact, you could probably file now.  THAT's how we stop this stuff from happening, with real people making not just bad but CRIMINAL sellers pay real repercussions. 

Wow - I've heard of over reactions but this one is up there.  If the auction states Priority and the books get shipped Media then the most you can do is file with E-Bay for a books as not described but if the books are as described I don't know how E-Bay will react.  You will probably be able to ship the books back or get a refund after a set number of days (and then send it back it they show up).  You can ding them on their delivery time (1 star) or even ding them across the board if you want to keep the books but are mad about the delivery time.  This is an e-bay issue and e-bay has several ways of dealing with it and with E-Bay's current favoritism toward buyers you can impact the seller in many different ways.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

Wow - I've heard of over reactions but this one is up there.  If the auction states Priority and the books get shipped Media then the most you can do is file with E-Bay for a books as not described but if the books are as described I don't know how E-Bay will react.  You will probably be able to ship the books back or get a refund after a set number of days (and then send it back it they show up).  You can ding them on their delivery time (1 star) or even ding them across the board if you want to keep the books but are mad about the delivery time.  This is an e-bay issue and e-bay has several ways of dealing with it and with E-Bay's current favoritism toward buyers you can impact the seller in many different ways.

I totally agree with you that its an overreaction.  But if criminals don't fear the occasional overreaction, they won't stop.  And I'm not talking about going to someone's house with a weapon demanding justice, just filing a police report for a crime, even if its a minor one.  Whether or not the police choose to pursue, that's another thing entirely.  And when ebay gets enough inquiries from police, they'll crackdown harder and get better resolutions for their non-criminal buyers and sellers.

There's honest mistakes, and there's gray areas, and shady but not quite lying, I get that.  But if this turns out that he's ADVERTISING BOOKS in the lot that AREN'T in the lot AND HE'S overtly selling those books separately, AND he's advertising better, faster, more expensive shipping and KNOWINGLY giving you way cheaper, slower, crappier shipping.  That's a lot of very real, very deliberate frauds.  And I'm guessing if hector is willing to pay $80 for shipping he expects books that are worth at least $500, and probably much more than that.  Depending on the state, you're getting very close to felonies when fraud is involved, especially using the internet and US mail and crossing state lines (as always consult your lawyer and/or law enforcement, I'm not providing legal advice or expert analysis).

Now do I want the seller to go to jail or anything like that? Not really.  But I wouldn't mind if the County fined him $100 for false advertising and he was banned from ebay.

15 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've encountered this on a much smaller scale (paid for Priority but got 1st class). I worked it out with the seller after I got the books and he gave me a partial refund. 

If this was me, I would wait until I had the books, make sure they were as described, then attack the seller (politely) stating that I was overcharged and would like the difference refunded to me. If that didn't work, then file a dispute. 

Additionally, he could have used FedEx ground and had it come out cheaper than $80. At least I'm  pretty sure. 

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would agree but...

Media mail, when someone sent a package to me that way a few years ago, took almost a month to get to me. If you have any shipping numbers, you can call the usps 800 # and they do have better tracking available in the regional offices than you have access to. They were able to pretty much tell me where the package was.

The problem is, it can be opened for inspection, so that also delays stuff. I'd suggest first checking with the 800#, if they don't have any info, ask for the number of the proper regional office to call. Sometimes it's the place where they mailed it from, sometimes it's yours. The regional numbers are not listed, but they are ALWAYS very helpful.

I used to use it all the time for books, but not since they specifically mentioned that comics did not apply on their website. 

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

I've encountered this on a much smaller scale (paid for Priority but got 1st class). I worked it out with the seller after I got the books and he gave me a partial refund. 

If this was me, I would wait until I had the books, make sure they were as described, then attack the seller (politely) stating that I was overcharged and would like the difference refunded to me. If that didn't work, then file a dispute. 

Additionally, he could have used FedEx ground and had it come out cheaper than $80. At least I'm  pretty sure. 

I've sent the equivalent of a short box to CGC from within  the same State and it was over $100 Fed Ex ground. I think it depends on whether you have an account. I don't have one.

At the very least, they should refund you the difference in postage. None of this don't have a receipt BS. Be sure to save the label from the delivery and take pictures of the packaging.

If you say you are sending it using a specific method like priority mail, you should have to contact the seller before sending it some other method.

That is only fair. Of course, no one ever said life is fair.

36 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Media mail, when someone sent a package to me that way a few years ago, took almost a month to get to me. If you have any shipping numbers, you can call the usps 800 # and they do have better tracking available in the regional offices than you have access to. They were able to pretty much tell me where the package was.

The problem is, it can be opened for inspection, so that also delays stuff. I'd suggest first checking with the 800#, if they don't have any info, ask for the number of the proper regional office to call. Sometimes it's the place where they mailed it from, sometimes it's yours. The regional numbers are not listed, but they are ALWAYS very helpful.

I used to use it all the time for books, but not since they specifically mentioned that comics did not apply on their website. 

Oh I’m certain a box this size was opened for inspection. And I’ll have to pay those fees.