• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,158 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Ebay has recently been doing some new stuff to some of my listings. These are items I listed as 30 day fixed price BIN only--- not open to offers. First they sent me an e-mail saying "hey, someone is watching that item you listed, maybe you should lower your price or open it for offers". This listing had been up less than 1 week. A week goes by and they send me another e-mail. "Hey, we changed your listings (plural) to allow buyers to make offers". Wow, SO HELPFUL (sarcasm).

So noticing that they said OFFERS and not just the one item, sure enough upon investigating it I notice they have changed 4 recently listed items (including the original one they told me I should try to get that sale on) and opened them up to accept offers. None of these items were listed longer than 2 weeks and were 30 day fixed price BINs. I had to go into each listing and remove the offers portion to restore them to the original settings. And a week later, one of them sold for the fixed asking price.

My point here is who does ebay think they are helping with this BS? They make me have to revise my own listings that they have altered WITHOUT CONSENT from me?

Had anyone else run into this type of behavior from eBay?

That's really over the line, for FeeBay to change the terms of your listing WITHOUT your consent or even your knowledge!

:mad:

On 7 April 2018 at 6:41 PM, 01TheDude said:

Ebay has recently been doing some new stuff to some of my listings. These are items I listed as 30 day fixed price BIN only--- not open to offers. First they sent me an e-mail saying "hey, someone is watching that item you listed, maybe you should lower your price or open it for offers". This listing had been up less than 1 week. A week goes by and they send me another e-mail. "Hey, we changed your listings (plural) to allow buyers to make offers". Wow, SO HELPFUL (sarcasm).

So noticing that they said OFFERS and not just the one item, sure enough upon investigating it I notice they have changed 4 recently listed items (including the original one they told me I should try to get that sale on) and opened them up to accept offers. None of these items were listed longer than 2 weeks and were 30 day fixed price BINs. I had to go into each listing and remove the offers portion to restore them to the original settings. And a week later, one of them sold for the fixed asking price.

My point here is who does ebay think they are helping with this BS? They make me have to revise my own listings that they have altered WITHOUT CONSENT from me?

Happened to me last week too. On items I listed for $7.95 with free shipping. :facepalm:

On 4/7/2018 at 3:41 AM, 01TheDude said:

Actually yes I had this happen a few months ago. I had a couple items listed with BIN and the prices were set to the lowest I would take so I didn't use the OBO option. I think it was only a few days later that the OBO was added and I never edited the items. I think it was also set to automatically accept offers at a certain percentage. I just ended the items and never put them back up.

Edited by Ride the Tiger
mispell

Just sold a book for $200.

It is going from New York to California

I am going to double box it using a 1092 / 1095 Combo.

We shall see if hilarity ensues. 

45 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just sold a book for $200.

It is going from New York to California

I am going to double box it using a 1092 / 1095 Combo.

We shall see if hilarity ensues. 

Isn't there something on USPS where they don't open priority mail? Just media? which is one of the reasons media is so risky.

My point is, that how would they know you had two boxes? 

I've tossed tons of priority boxes that were used, or damaged, because I didn't want to have a problem misusing their stuff, but I think it's pretty silly. It should at the very least be OK to reuse the used ones instead of tossing them.

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Isn't there something on USPS where they don't open priority mail? Just media? which is one of the reasons media is so risky.

I've tossed tons of priority boxes that were used, or damaged, because I didn't want to have a problem misusing their stuff, but I think it's pretty silly. It should at the very least be OK to reuse the used ones instead of tossing them.

There was a thread discussing this but it has been locked. 

Basically, the buyer became cranky because he felt it was a misappropriation of Post Office materials.  They left back handed feedback for a member here.  Then a "discussion" ensued and the thread was locked. 

Edited by Buzzetta

People get cranky for lots of reasons, sometimes I think they are just born that way;)

I have  found that the $1 stores sell these huge bubble mailers, so I put the slabs in those and then at the same store they sell foam board for $1.00 a sheet, so I put that around the bubble mailer, then a box. I think it works better. Then again, I don't usually sell slabs when I sell something.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Actually yes I had this happen a few months ago. I had a couple items listed with BIN and the prices were set to the lowest I would take so I didn't use the OBO option. I think it was only a few days later that the OBO was added and I never edited the items. I think it was also set to automatically accept offers at a certain percentage. I just ended the items and never put them back up.

The bolded part especially concerns me as that could prove to be very problematic. 

From what I’ve read on other message boards, eBay has been doing this for a few months now. 

Interestingly, I think I’ve seen this happen with a couple of auction listings as well. 

I had a couple of items from different sellers in my Watch List that were auctions. The starting bid was pretty close to FMV in both cases. About 24-48 hours before the listings ended I noticed that there was the option to make an offer as well as bid. 

I found that odd since anytime I’ve created an auction I’ve never seen the option to add Best Offer; I’ve only seen it available with BIN listings. 

In both cases I didn’t make an offer as I assumed that’s probably not what the seller intended. 

When there’s been a dispute between buyer and seller eBay has always positioned themselves as a neutral, disinterested 3rd party facilitator. 

If this Best Offer tampering results in an unwanted “sale” I wonder if eBay will assume responsibility for the fallout that results with the buyer?

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

It is. USPS endorses doing so. They also endorse reusing the box, after removing other previous markings/address info.

Dealing with receiving an empty box on this one 

ASM 14 8.5

If anyone sees this book for sale or knows the owner of the book. The serial isn’t listed on the actual auction. 

Also, reached out to a few people for guidance but got no luck. So if anyone has dealt with this issue before please send me a PM. 

Edited by Spiderphill

34 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

Dealing with receiving an empty box on this one 

ASM 14 8.5

If anyone sees this book for sale or knows the owner of the book. The serial isn’t listed on the actual auction. 

Also, reached out to a few people for guidance but got no luck. So if anyone has dealt with this issue before please send me a PM. 

These are bold scams in this day. I got hit with an empty envelope, and I filed a police report against the perps. They were so offended that they couldn't scam me for $1500, they called ME to harass me about it, and then sent cute little cards in the mail filled with expletives. Really wish I had the PO Box back then.

It was quite amazing.

And yet, people defend this. AND YET, people defend this. "Well, you deserve to be defrauded, because you're such a jerk to sellers."

That's the most amazing part of all. There is none so blind...

For your situation, file a police report at your local station. That way, it's on record. 

The serial is in the picture, but it's the small type. It might be 0118798001. Checking now...

Edited by RockMyAmadeus