• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anybody know who "collectiblessince1998" is...? They keep making 60-80% off my asking price offers. I don't want to block them, but this is a waste of our time. I'm not going to seriously consider those kinds of offers.

Why not just put a minimum offer on your books, so offers to low are immediately declined?

4 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Why not just put a minimum offer on your books, so offers to low are immediately declined?

Putting a lowest offer acceptable on 1 or 2 listings in easy. Putting a lowest offer acceptable on 1,000+ would take the better part of a day, if not more.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Putting a lowest offer acceptable on 1 or 2 listings in easy. Putting a lowest offer acceptable on 1,000+ would take the better part of a day, if not more.

I see, do you put that on new books you list? I always set my lowest price at 50% of what I'm asking.

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anybody know who "collectiblessince1998" is...? They keep making 60-80% off my asking price offers. I don't want to block them, but this is a waste of our time. I'm not going to seriously consider those kinds of offers.

meh

raise your prices 90%?

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You can't make this :censored: up.

I have an item for sale at $450. No OBO.

Get a new message, "hi bro you accept 250$?"

I don't even know what to say.

Will you accept $150? I'll pay today. Maybe. Unless I change my mind. But I need to know what it is. And after that I might tell you I just got laid off and can't pay.

5 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I see, do you put that on new books you list? I always set my lowest price at 50% of what I'm asking.

Not often, no. While there's certainly a case to be made for rejecting offers, I don't subscribe to it. If I auto-reject, I never see those offers, so I have no idea if someone is even interested. If I have no auto-reject, I get an offer that might be too low, but it gives me the opportunity to check to see if my prices are out of line with the market. Sometimes, that translates into sales that both the buyer and myself find acceptable...sales I would never have if there was an auto-reject and I never saw the potential buyer at all.

Half the sale is engaging a potential customer. I just got a buyer who made an offer of $150...half my ask price...and I countered at $270, and explained the book a bit...and got the sale.

Of course, there are the serial ultra-lowballers that get a touch annoying. If I list a Sig Series slab for $250, $50 isn't going to be acceptable. That's less than it cost to get done.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I sold it at full price 1 day later lol.

It happens.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not often, no. While there's certainly a case to be made for rejecting offers, I don't subscribe to it. If I auto-reject, I never see those offers, so I have no idea if someone is even interested. If I have no auto-reject, I get an offer that might be too low, but it gives me the opportunity to check to see if my prices are out of line with the market. Sometimes, that translates into sales that both the buyer and myself find acceptable...sales I would never have if there was an auto-reject and I never saw the potential buyer at all.

Half the sale is engaging a potential customer. I just got a buyer who made an offer of $150...half my ask price...and I countered at $270, and explained the book a bit...and got the sale.

Of course, there are the serial ultra-lowballers that get a touch annoying. If I list a Sig Series slab for $250, $50 isn't going to be acceptable. That's less than it cost to get done.

Yup. I don't do auto reject for this reason. Granted, it's only 10-20% of the time that the extreme low baller gets back to reality and accepts and counter (or a counter counter), but it happens.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Bird said:

you gotta love ebay!

I was the seller on this lot at $42.50 + s/h. Maybe the one comic is rare but still glad to make that forty on a bunch of comics long since paid for.

I don't see the 6 gold for less than $26 on the interwebs (granted, no actual sales) and the nude gold variant I don't see anywhere at all (or any sales). Maybe this guy got over on you???

Edited by the blob

Had someone offer $135.05 for a slab. Ok, shipping's $14.95, so they gotta be cute and round up that extra nickel. No problem.

Countered at $155 (priced at $170.) 

Buyer countered back at $135....06.

lol

Like dude, just decline. I know you want the book...but the point of countering is to make a substantive counter, not play silly games. And you clearly don't want the book THAT bad. If you don't want to pay more than your offer, just decline. There's no harm in that.

:D

On 12/15/2019 at 1:46 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Had someone offer $135.05 for a slab. Ok, shipping's $14.95, so they gotta be cute and round up that extra nickel. No problem.

Countered at $155 (priced at $170.) 

Buyer countered back at $135....06.

lol

Like dude, just decline. I know you want the book...but the point of countering is to make a substantive counter, not play silly games. And you clearly don't want the book THAT bad. If you don't want to pay more than your offer, just decline. There's no harm in that.

:D

A couple years ago I played a similar game. Buyer offered $350 on a $700. I countered with $500. He countered with $350. lol

This hasn't happened before and I've not gotten any news on big changes ebay was implementing on feedback. A couple of months ago I had a disagreement with a seller over grading on 4 books. I would have been justified on leaving 4 negs but went with neutrals. The seller even agreed with me.

Saw a book I wanted, but the seller was really familiar so I checked his feedback. There were a ton of neutrals, but none from me. So I went back and looked at the feedback I had left over the past year. The 4 neutrals were not there either. In fact, the entire transaction including the one positive had vanished. And it is the same seller.

Any ideas on how this could happen? Thanks.

Not big deal, just something I thought was kind of funny.

All my items are listed as BIN with not Make An Offer feature.

Regardless, I get a message from a user asking what my lowest price would be for a card I have listed.  I hate that question because 1) I haven't invited offers and 2) if someone wants it for less at least step up and throw out a number, don't ask me to negotiate against myself.

But before I politely decline, I decide to check completed auctions because the card has been up for awhile.  As it turns out, it's been selling for about $10 less than my asking price so I send him an offer through eBay.

I get a message back saying he thinks my offer is fair, but instead of accepting he now wants me to go over the card with a fine-tooth comb as he submits all his cards for grading.

So after getting me to drop my price by $10 he now wants me to pre-screen for him.  lol Gotta love it....

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Not big deal, just something I thought was kind of funny.

All my items are listed as BIN with not Make An Offer feature.

Regardless, I get a message from a user asking what my lowest price would be for a card I have listed.  I hate that question because 1) I haven't invited offers and 2) if someone wants it for less at least step up and throw out a number, don't ask me to negotiate against myself.

But before I politely decline, I decide to check completed auctions because the card has been up for awhile.  As it turns out, it's been selling for about $10 less than my asking price so I send him an offer through eBay.

I get a message back saying he thinks my offer is fair, but instead of accepting he now wants me to go over the card with a fine-tooth comb as he submits all his cards for grading.

So after getting me to drop my price by $10 he now wants me to pre-screen for him.  lol Gotta love it....

"It's Gem Mint, bro."

5 hours ago, evilskip said:

This hasn't happened before and I've not gotten any news on big changes ebay was implementing on feedback. A couple of months ago I had a disagreement with a seller over grading on 4 books. I would have been justified on leaving 4 negs but went with neutrals. The seller even agreed with me.

Saw a book I wanted, but the seller was really familiar so I checked his feedback. There were a ton of neutrals, but none from me. So I went back and looked at the feedback I had left over the past year. The 4 neutrals were not there either. In fact, the entire transaction including the one positive had vanished. And it is the same seller.

Any ideas on how this could happen? Thanks.

eBay will remove negatives/neutrals from any seller who calls in and complains.

It has rendered the feedback system utterly meaningless.