• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

I could use some advice.

I sold a $150 slab on Dec. 6th, 2020 and it shipped on Dec 8th (Priority with insurance), but it hasn't moved since Dec. 11. On Dec 14th, the tracking number  was updated and the status mentions that it was delayed, but in transit (I never tracked it, just assumed it was delivered).

Buyer submitted a claim on 12/23 asking for a refund. I contacted USPS within hours to  request additional info on missing mail. I also responded to the buyer's claim stating that I am investigating the situation with USPS.

I have over 1k positive feedback on ebay, no negs. I can take the loss if necessary (let's face it, nobody wants to lose money though).

Best case scenario is that it was lost in the mail or delivered tomorrow.

What would other sellers do in this situation? I guess I have been lucky and never had any problems like this before. 

Edited by Twisted_Road

On 12/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, electricprune said:

So, I get an early morning message from eBay. A buyer has opened a request about an item (slab) he hasn’t received yet.

Now, this slab was purchased last Sunday. It was shipped the same day. The tracking shows it is moving along, although a bit slower than typical Priority might move.

However, this guy needed to open a case when four shipping days have passed. The four shipping days before Christmas... during Covid.

Merry 🎄 Christmas!

Anyone who's been watching the news lately should know that USPS is severely backed up because FedEx and UPS set firm deadlines for package delivery...and stuck to them.  This info might be worth sharing with the buyer...for good customer service.  That's assuming you sent it through USPS. (thumbsu

37 minutes ago, Twisted_Road said:

I could use some advice.

I sold a $150 slab on Dec. 6th, 2020 and it shipped on Dec 8th (Priority with insurance), but it hasn't moved since Dec. 11. On Dec 14th, the tracking number  was updated and the status mentions that it was delayed, but in transit (I never tracked it, just assumed it was delivered).

Buyer submitted a claim on 12/23 asking for a refund. I contacted USPS within hours to  request additional info on missing mail. I also responded to the buyer's claim stating that I am investigating the situation with USPS.

I have over 1k positive feedback on ebay, no negs. I can take the loss if necessary (let's face it, nobody wants to lose money though).

What would other sellers do in this situation? I guess I have been lucky and never had any problems like this 

Go to your local P.O. in person and have a manager check tracking internally.  Not all scans of a package show up on the public website tracking. It sounds like you started a trace on the package, but if not, do that. eBay is aware of the USPS delays this holiday season and hopefully will tell the buyer to be patient. 

1 hour ago, Galen130 said:

Anyone who's been watching the news lately should know that USPS is severely backed up because FedEx and UPS set firm deadlines for package delivery...and stuck to them.  This info might be worth sharing with the buyer...for good customer service.  That's assuming you sent it through USPS. (thumbsu

Yes, I let him know. He said ok. I just think filing a non delivery case after four shipping days is ridiculous. Especially when he has tracking and could see that his shipment had been moving all week.

An exception might be an overnight delivery, which this wasn’t.

5 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Yes, I let him know. He said ok. I just think filing a non delivery case after four shipping days is ridiculous. Especially when he has tracking and could see that his shipment had been moving all week.

An exception might be an overnight delivery, which this wasn’t.

Understood.  Some people just can’t be pleased.  Patience is a virtue...until it isn’t.  Good luck. (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Twisted_Road said:

I could use some advice.

What would other sellers do in this situation? I guess I have been lucky and never had any problems like this before. 

Happened to me as the buyer. Book was in USPS limbo for more than a month. Item was shipped promptly via Priority Mail but I understood that it wasn't the seller's fault. I had to file a case with eBay just to have some trail that a transit issue was going on beyond the 30-day eBay threshold. Wasn't expecting it but the seller sent a refund and I promised that if the book showed up I'll pay it back. After 2 weeks the book came and sent back the money to the seller.

I honestly also don't know how to handle this. Is it the buyer or seller's responsibility to check with the post office? If you end up refunding hopefully the buyer will be honest enough to level it up when it arrives, perhaps get it in writing on the case record.

Packages stack up at the post office and unfortunately I feel it's first-in-last-out when this happens. Good luck.

Edited by bobotski

Interesting eBay question... 

I bought five books from a comic seller on eBay

He messages me that the four of the five books are "out of stock" and is issuing me a refund for the four out of five books.   

The fifth book was a $5 add on that I saw and said, "why not" and threw it in the basket. 

I asked the comic seller to cancel the fifth book as it was merely an add on and I was primarily interested in the four books that he says are, "out of stock"... 

Side note... the four books that are, "out of stock" sold for 3x the value since I bought them from other sellers.  Whether or not that comes into play is unknown. 

Seller has only refunded me the money for the four books that he is out of stock and has not responded to my request to cancel the fifth book.

What steps if any would the gracious public of comics general suggest? 

If I have to 'eat' this purchase then I will suck it up... but this kind of twists me. 

Edited by Buzzetta

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I bought five books from a comic seller on eBay. 

He messages me that the four of the five books are "out of stock" and is issuing me a refund for the four out of five books.   

The fifth book was a $5 add on that I saw and said, "why not" and threw it in the basket. 

I asked the comic seller to cancel the fifth book as it was merely an add on and I was primarily interested in the four books that he says are, "out of stock"... 

Side note... the four books that are, "out of stock" sold for 3x the value since I bought them from other sellers.  Whether or not that comes into play is unknown. 

Seller has only refunded me the money for the four books that he is out of stock and has not responded to my request to cancel the fifth book.

If I have to 'eat' this purchase then I will suck it up... but this kind of twists me. 

Only an would deny the cancellation....

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I bought five books from a comic seller on eBay. 

Rightfully so. Seller should give you the book. 

And total refund.  Kind of disappointing as by purchasing these books through this seller, I decided not to buy them from another seller and since then those books have sold and have now increased in value.  Cannot win them all but at least I have a total refund. 

well, two auctions I won for $2 or less with free shipping (so basically the sellers got hosed) came (slowly via media mail, but I am not complaining) in bomb proof packing... the second one where the seller really got hosed came with extra comics, multiple layers of bubble wrap envelopes.... ok, my faith is restored

Oh, and another seller issued me a refund on a book where he decided it was more like a "G" than a VG, but gave me the book anyway. Yes, i had bought some other stuff from him in the same purchase and have bought from him before. Books were packed in a box, bubble wrap, all good. So, I think that was 4 ebay transactions in a row where the packing was good,. woo-hooh! With that said, I have to say all the people I messaged nicely about needing more protection when shipping took the constructive criticism well, so that is good (it probably helps that I didn't demand a refund or claim the books were obviously damaged, so there were no strings attached)

I think word has gotten out on how I respond to lowball offers and now people do this to elicit responses... I try to make their day.  @kav since he gets joy out of me responding to things like this.  

For the record... this is priced well at $185 since the item usually goes between $150-$200.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 12.05.43 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

49 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I think word has gotten out on how I respond to lowball offers and now people do this to elicit responses... I try to make their day.  @kav since he gets joy out of me responding to things like this.  

For the record... this is priced well at $185 since the item usually goes between $150-$200.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 12.05.43 PM.png

merely reply plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz buy it for $185!

So I have a BIN/BO book up the bay, and a guy messages me an offer yesterday - instead of actually making an offer. Odd.

I respond with a proper counter-offer.

Guy asks about what I describe as "slight soiling" and so I send more pictures of the two small areas I see.

Guy accepts my counter, pays and says "pack it well!". I respond that I surely will protect it well.

Today guy asks more questions about the soiling, and whether it could be water damage.

hm

I dunno, it might be, but it's pretty slight, need just the right angle to see it.

I have not responded to this guy, and have not shipped book (it's due to go out Monday the 4th).

Advice?

7 minutes ago, jcjames said:

So I have a BIN/BO book up the bay, and a guy messages me an offer yesterday - instead of actually making an offer. Odd.

I respond with a proper counter-offer.

Guy asks about what I describe as "slight soiling" and so I send more pictures of the two small areas I see.

Guy accepts my counter, pays and says "pack it well!". I respond that I surely will protect it well.

Today guy asks more questions about the soiling, and whether it could be water damage.

hm

I dunno, it might be, but it's pretty slight, need just the right angle to see it.

I have not responded to this guy, and have not shipped book (it's due to go out Monday the 4th).

Advice?

Answer his inquiry and reassure him the package has been packaged well and has been dropped/handed off for shipment

7 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Answer his inquiry and reassure him the package has been packaged well and has been dropped/handed off for shipment

My answer is "I don't know".

My fear is this guy is still haggling after having completed payment.

I don't want to sent out a $250 raw book to someone who is having second thoughts and who may want to continue dickering even after receiving the book, maybe even after getting it graded, and/or want to send it back for being "not as described". I'm just not getting a good vibe and don't have experience with red flags like that.

Edited by jcjames

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

My answer is "I don't know".

My fear is this guy is still haggling after having completed payment.

I don't want to sent out a $250 raw book to someone who is having second thoughts and who may want to continue dickering even after receiving the book, maybe even after getting it graded, and/or want to send it back for being "not as described". I'm just not getting a good vibe and don't have experience with red flags like that.

Then cancel the transaction and move on. Let him know that you are concerned that he is unsatisfied with his purchase and are no longer comfortable with the sale. Cancel first and then email the explanation. Then block him. 

Or look over his feedback, take some more pictures and plainly state in the emails that you want all condition issues settled before sending. Then see where that goes and send him the comic if all is well.

16 minutes ago, littledoom said:

just tell him that.. then say are you ok with this? then ship out if he says yes. if not then cancel.. its easy to leave a message to him first b4 cancelling without his final input