• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,140 posts in this topic

You can turn off the unpaid buyer assistance on the individual item if you go to your pending cases.

Yeah, I turned it off, but it then it said since the case was already opened, I couldn't close it.

Regardless, I came to an agreement with the buyer and everything is ok now. Thanks for the vent space, as always!

:ohnoez:

It seems like most of the non-payment is for cheap books. I have stopped contacting buyers because eBay automatically sends payment reminders. I file an unpaid item case after 7-10 days and let the process play out. Some of my returning buyers get multiple unpaid item cases opened auction after auction. Whatever, I don't need their $25 super fast as long as I get it eventually.

This ranks up there with the guys who win 6 books between $1-3 that normally would be $8-10 apiece at conventions and then ask for media mail to save $4 on shipping.

Ok ebayer sellers with a store, question for you: what are your selling costs as a percentage? You can find this by clicking on Performace --> Summary. Mine are 25% of my sales, and that includes ebay fees, shipping labels and paypal fees. What are yours? Higher? Lower? Discuss.

Ok ebayer sellers with a store, question for you: what are your selling costs as a percentage? You can find this by clicking on Performace --> Summary. Mine are 25% of my sales, and that includes ebay fees, shipping labels and paypal fees. What are yours? Higher? Lower? Discuss.

Is that net shipping fees? (seller total ship cost - buyer paid ship cost)

Just curious. I don't have a store, but for last year I calculated it was at about 23% of my sales including net shipping fees.

I can't seem to find this stat (I do have a store). Able to provide slightly better details on this.

Is that net shipping fees? (seller total ship cost - buyer paid ship cost)

Just curious. I don't have a store, but for last year I calculated it was at about 23% of my sales including net shipping fees.

The shipping costs they include are total spent on shipping labels. Revenue is total paid by buyer, so the final calculation revenue - 25% roughly gives net income.

Only useful if you ship 100% through them I suppose but with it being so easy and USPS so cheap why not?

I can't seem to find this stat (I do have a store). Able to provide slightly better details on this.

Go to my ebay ---> selling. This will bring up your seller hub, click on performance. It will be one of the charts below.

Go to my ebay ---> selling. This will bring up your seller hub, click on performance. It will be one of the charts below.

I wasn't using seller hub and using the old sellers page thing. Thanks! I don't use labels through ebay (Canadian seller) but puts me at 16%. Thanks!

Basic Store (250 fixed price + 250 auctions per month)

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

That is 27%. Looks like we are about the same.

I do pay to schedule auctions so that may cost me more than you.

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

How are these number meaningful if buyers are paying shipping compared to free shipping?

^Thank you, I wondered what he meant by "shipping labels", had to resist suggestion that he just print the labels and use tape. Now that I nabbed "top rated" the FV fees are down to 8 per cent (from 9% for collectibles), plus the paypal. Those nums they quoted sounded a bit high.

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

Ok. Yes, a bit higher but you're scheduled auctions would be the difference. Thanks!

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

How are these number meaningful if buyers are paying shipping compared to free shipping?

I'm a similar number to him about 25% selling costs. It doesn't matter whether buyer pays shipping or you give free shipping, you still pay for shipping even if passed through thus selling costs. If buyer pays then you net more. Seems obvious but maybe I misread your ?

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

I'm a similar number to him about 25% selling costs. It doesn't matter whether buyer pays shipping or you give free shipping, you still pay for shipping even if passed through thus selling costs. If buyer pays then you net more. Seems obvious but maybe I misread your ?

Dunno... selling bunch of $10-15 items costing about $5 each to ship. Buyer pays.

Ebay Fees - 11%

Shipping labels - 14%

PayPal - 2%

Dunno... selling bunch of $10-15 items costing about $5 each to ship. Buyer pays.

Use total revenue (sale price + shipping) instead of net sales to calculate your selling costs %, Sir.

What I am not understanding is the relevance... why should I care? I don't mean this in a standoffish way either. I'm not understanding.

If I sell an item for $15

Buyer pays $5 to ship

I receive $20

eBay takes around $2

PayPal take 3% so say 60 cents...

Actual cost to ship is $3.75

I take home $13.65

After that I honestly don't see the importance of the other stats.

What I am not understanding is the relevance... why should I care? I don't mean this in a standoffish way either. I'm not understanding.

Buyer pays $5 to ship

I receive $20

eBay takes around $2

I take home $13.65

To someone selling a few items a month its probably not important. But I'm a nerd and sell a lot on ebay so to me the breakdown of who's taking my money is important. Maybe my fees are higher than the next guy or like in FN-2199's case he uses scheduled auctions not included in the store price so his ebay fees are a bit higher.

Buyer pays $5 to ship

I receive $20

eBay takes around $2

I take home $13.65

Depending on how much you sell it might determine whether or not an ebay store provides value, or whether maintaining top rated status is worth the extra hassle?

Buyer pays $5 to ship

I receive $20

eBay takes around $2

I take home $13.65

I do not use these statistics personally but it is good to bounce off another seller to see if there is excessive waste in my process.

I could use this information if I was primarily a "Free Shipping" seller. If I had a majority of sales that came with free shipping, I could use the eBay analysis to see just how much of my costs are attributed to shipping and adjust my selling methods for more efficient shipping such as offer "Calculated Shipping" or a flat rate.