• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

Just sucks having to pay an extra amount when there's 1 other bidder who jumps over your max bid, then retracts to just below it. Those bids Shouldn't be allowed. :pullhair:

That does suck. I've changed how I approach bidding any more. I evaluate the item and decide what my maximum amount I was willing to pay would be. I will throw in a lowest possible bid just so I can track the item in my bid/offers page. Then I set up a snipe bid for that amount and forget about it-- if I win, whatever the price- I am getting the item without over spending what I feel it is worth to me. If it goes higher-- such is life. Sometimes I get the books at really low prices using this method. I get the impression that some people see you bid and immediately start pumping away at the auction with their shill accounts. This seems very obvious on certain sellers.

Edited by 01TheDude

Not sure which one of the eBay threads is meant for complaining.. but this was the first one I saw!  Ran into a very odd situation that has never come up for me before.  Buyer wins auction Sunday night, a few hours later emails me saying that her identity had been stolen, her neighbor hacked her email and internet and was bidding on stuff on her eBay account and that she would not be honoring the transaction.  I don't buy it, but what can I do other than send a 'request to cancel transaction' through eBay with the reason of "buyer changed mind or no longer needs item"... wait a few hours after that and the buyer declined my request!  

So I emailed them again saying what's the deal, YOU asked me to cancel it.  And she responded saying she didn't actually deny my request, someone else did, and to send it again.  And that's when I learned that apparently you can NOT send a cancelation request (or even open an unpaid item case) after your first request has been denied.  Long story short, there is a huge loophole here for getting out of a transaction without getting an unpaid item strike against your account.  You win something and decide you no longer want it, just contact the seller and politely ask them to cancel the sale.. then just deny their request, and the seller can no longer file an unpaid item dispute against you.  I got eBay to get me my fees back, but it required a phone call and it was a hassle.. so I would definitely add this to the list of dumb eBay policies that screw over the seller.

44 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Not sure which one of the eBay threads is meant for complaining.. but this was the first one I saw!  Ran into a very odd situation that has never come up for me before.  Buyer wins auction Sunday night, a few hours later emails me saying that her identity had been stolen, her neighbor hacked her email and internet and was bidding on stuff on her eBay account and that she would not be honoring the transaction.  I don't buy it, but what can I do other than send a 'request to cancel transaction' through eBay with the reason of "buyer changed mind or no longer needs item"... wait a few hours after that and the buyer declined my request!  

So I emailed them again saying what's the deal, YOU asked me to cancel it.  And she responded saying she didn't actually deny my request, someone else did, and to send it again.  And that's when I learned that apparently you can NOT send a cancelation request (or even open an unpaid item case) after your first request has been denied.  Long story short, there is a huge loophole here for getting out of a transaction without getting an unpaid item strike against your account.  You win something and decide you no longer want it, just contact the seller and politely ask them to cancel the sale.. then just deny their request, and the seller can no longer file an unpaid item dispute against you.  I got eBay to get me my fees back, but it required a phone call and it was a hassle.. so I would definitely add this to the list of dumb eBay policies that screw over the seller.

SNAP that's a double duty dirty buyer(tsk)

1 hour ago, Action252Kid said:

Thanks for the tip!!! :idea:

April seemed very slow for me.  It started out pretty good but the last couple weeks have been slow, slow with tons of low ball offers.  Gives me time to scan rather then send out packages.

$/sale was down but volume was up, total sales exceeded everything but Nov & Dec in last 12 months. I am selling cheap comics generally, even moving a few rebirth below cost to free the cash.

Edited by Bird
seems like Rebirth batgirl and Justice League were not good volume buys for spec, at least not so far

2 hours ago, Bird said:

$/sale was down but volume was up, total sales exceeded everything but Nov & Dec in last 12 months. I am selling cheap comics generally, even moving a few rebirth below cost to free the cash.

Mine are all copper/bronze/silver and there is a trickle of sales the last couple weeks.  I find I have to constantly be posting new books or things go stale quickly.  It feels like people only watch the new postings to see if there is a steal or something they really want.

48 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Mine are all copper/bronze/silver and there is a trickle of sales the last couple weeks.  I find I have to constantly be posting new books or things go stale quickly.  It feels like people only watch the new postings to see if there is a steal or something they really want.

Yeah, I hear you. I find that I don't have steady action until 50+ auctions are running (I don't have a store) and I just relist tons of stuff and much will sell eventually. But I am all moderns with some copper and a rare outlier (sold a Doc 169 4.5 today 10 minutes after relisting).

On 4/29/2017 at 8:22 AM, Bird said:

april was my 3rd best month in the last 12. Good month.

Tax season. Good time to sell with all of those refund checks issued in March and April.

8 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

Tax season. Good time to sell with all of those refund checks issued in March and April.

Maybe I jinxed it, only 1 sale so far in May!

11 minutes ago, Bird said:

Maybe I jinxed it, only 1 sale so far in May!

lol - I've had the exact opposite.  Spawn is flying off the shelves and a couple big books sold.  You never know.

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

lol - I've had the exact opposite.  Spawn is flying off the shelves and a couple big books sold.  You never know.

Okay, I un-jinxed it with that post I guess. Indeed, you never know.

I have an arbitrary goal, 1 sale per day. I find that I need 50+ listings to accomplish this. I have been slack lately and am down to 45 right now.