• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,140 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I fold the edges of my tape to make a little pull tab, but if someone's going to use a knife (or sharp blade) to open expensive paper products they should definitely use extreme caution.

You shouldn't have to pay for someone's "oops" moment @the blob. Take pics of the returned item and focus on the damaged bag and book and show it to the eBay rep. Maybe they won't make you eat the cost.

I tried to scan the bag but you can't see it. Frustrating.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I don't know. This is an experienced comic seller who has good stuff, he should know better.

As an aside, while I like the gemini mailers, the space for the comics is tight so your sandwich (you still need to sandwich, unfortunately) leaves no room on the edges, so the comic is very close to the edge. The pads for the sandwich they sell are very tight, 7 x 11. I cut my own, usually 7.25 X 11.25. But now I need to rewrite all my listings and add warning language apparently because people are dumb. (This guy lives 40 minutes from me in Jersey)

I had some one mail me a bunch of books in a gemini & the bottom of the gemini fell apart so the right bottom corners of the comics & boards got crushed.

I don't use them when I mail my books to buyers 2c

Edited by comics4all

OK, I just had a weird interaction with a seller on a book that seems reasonably priced...

The listing says:

We make every effort to accurately describe all items,however,all items are sold "as is" with absolutely no returns. It is the buyer's responsibility to determine the exact condition of each item. We do not make any guarantees or warranties in regard to the descriptions of the physical condition, size, quality, or rarity. Prospective buyers should ask all questions to determine an item's condition, size and whether or not it has been restored. For comics, we use descriptive grades (e.g. Fair, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Near Mint) merely as a guide to assist. However, we provide very large scans and expect customers to use the images and ask questions to arrive at their own purchase/condition decisions. We never guarantee any grade nor do we provide numerical grades.

Understanding these instruction, I send a message:

"Are there any clipped coupons, missing pages, detached pages, or water stains? Is the cover attached to the book at both staples? Is there any writing on the inside of the book?" (These are my pet peeves...criminey, I forgot about rusty staples or resto, but there's no way the book is restored)

This is the odd response:

"Hi,
Thanks for the interest.
It has none of those things. It is a, however, a $30 well read book. The pages aren't "tight" and there's plenty of creases, and wrinkling, aging, and edge chipping. It's best to pass on it as we don't wish to deal with a return on it."

SO, I do what they guy tells me to do in terms of making inquiries, and then he tells me it is best not to buy it because he doesn't want to deal with me. I am still tempted to buy it, but I thought that was a weird response.

UPDATE:

His next response was very polite. I think he realized he assumed too much. He is a shell shocked seller who has gotten burned a bit by silly returns.

Edited by the blob

46 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Where on eBay can you find out what coupons are currently offered? I’m selling books, and I’d like to mention available coupons to buyers when possible. 

Obviously, I’m interested for buying too. :)

They're mostly on the home page, but some come specifically through email .... if your signed up through their system to receive such. 

6 hours ago, the blob said:

OK, I just had a weird interaction with a seller on a book that seems reasonably priced...

The listing says:

We make every effort to accurately describe all items,however,all items are sold "as is" with absolutely no returns. It is the buyer's responsibility to determine the exact condition of each item. We do not make any guarantees or warranties in regard to the descriptions of the physical condition, size, quality, or rarity. Prospective buyers should ask all questions to determine an item's condition, size and whether or not it has been restored. For comics, we use descriptive grades (e.g. Fair, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Near Mint) merely as a guide to assist. However, we provide very large scans and expect customers to use the images and ask questions to arrive at their own purchase/condition decisions. We never guarantee any grade nor do we provide numerical grades.

Understanding these instruction, I send a message:

"Are there any clipped coupons, missing pages, detached pages, or water stains? Is the cover attached to the book at both staples? Is there any writing on the inside of the book?" (These are my pet peeves...criminey, I forgot about rusty staples or resto, but there's no way the book is restored)

This is the odd response:

"Hi,
Thanks for the interest.
It has none of those things. It is a, however, a $30 well read book. The pages aren't "tight" and there's plenty of creases, and wrinkling, aging, and edge chipping. It's best to pass on it as we don't wish to deal with a return on it."

SO, I do what they guy tells me to do in terms of making inquiries, and then he tells me it is best not to buy it because he doesn't want to deal with me. I am still tempted to buy it, but I thought that was a weird response.

UPDATE:

His next response was very polite. I think he realized he assumed too much. He is a shell shocked seller who has gotten burned a bit by silly returns.

Isn't that the risk of selling there?  How was his actual description of the book?  Or was he just expecting people to assume by the pics?

I have been fortunate to never have had a return request (most of the books I sell are $5-$30), but I am sure plenty of sellers have had many, for one reason or another. 

16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Isn't that the risk of selling there?  How was his actual description of the book?  Or was he just expecting people to assume by the pics?

I have been fortunate to never have had a return request (most of the books I sell are $5-$30), but I am sure plenty of sellers have had many, for one reason or another. 

Well, the pics show a low grade book, but the description does not rule out clipped coupons, etc. He told me there were none, etc. We had a nice chit chat...he declined my offer of 75% of the asking price though despite my charms.

On ebay, whenever a CGC book from 2016 until late 2018 catches my eye I will send the seller a polite email. My template is "Hi. I'm really interested in buying (title issue number). Could you tell me if it has the dreaded Newton Ring effect. There is nothing wrong with the book, it just looks like oil in the case or a prism effect. Thanks for your time". Usually I will get an answer detailing the severity of said book. If it is something I can live with, I will bid on or buy the book. ( I also download a copy if I can and blow it up via Paint. Sometimes you can see the rings that way).

But when there is just crickets and no reply I just pass on the deal unless it can be had for below OPG. I am not sending these questions in at the last minute either. Try to do it at least three days before the auction ends.

Anybody else ask about rings. If so, what has the reaction been? (I'm asking this as I'm still waiting on a reply sent two days ago).

On 1/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, comics4all said:

I had some one mail me a bunch of books in a gemini & the bottom of the gemini fell apart so the right bottom corners of the comics & boards got crushed.

I don't use them when I mail my books to buyers 2c

If the comics are in the mailer I side a cardboard sandwich shouldn't this not be an issue? My sandwich inside the mailer is better than half the amateur shipping attempts I have seen lately.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, evilskip said:

On ebay, whenever a CGC book from 2016 until late 2018 catches my eye I will send the seller a polite email. My template is "Hi. I'm really interested in buying (title issue number). Could you tell me if it has the dreaded Newton Ring effect. There is nothing wrong with the book, it just looks like oil in the case or a prism effect. Thanks for your time". Usually I will get an answer detailing the severity of said book. If it is something I can live with, I will bid on or buy the book. ( I also download a copy if I can and blow it up via Paint. Sometimes you can see the rings that way).

But when there is just crickets and no reply I just pass on the deal unless it can be had for below OPG. I am not sending these questions in at the last minute either. Try to do it at least three days before the auction ends.

Anybody else ask about rings. If so, what has the reaction been? (I'm asking this as I'm still waiting on a reply sent two days ago).

Many sellers probably have no idea what you are talking about. If I did not visit these boards I would have no idea.

Jeez Louise, this is a nice book shipped in between 2 pieces of thin cardboard not taped together (comic was sliding around) in flat rate envelope. It survived though. But it is squeezed into a tight mylite and I can't get it out.. 

15489851458251114977596.jpg

I am getting better with my phone. 3 sub-par ebay packing jobs in a row, three books that somehow survived. The last one might go to cgc. 4th package was a slab from a boardie (themoghtymidget) packed to withstand a Sherman tank assault.

Edited by the blob

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

Jeez Louise, this is a nice book shipped in between 2 pieces of thin cardboard not taped together (comic was sliding around) in flat rate envelope. It survived though. But it is squeezed into a tight mylite and I can't get it out.. 

None of this is unusual. In fact, it's pretty par for the course on eBay.

That is why stories from sellers of "nightmare buyers" who "can't be pleased" should always be taken with a couple of pounds of salt, and why feedback profiles on eBay have....since 1995....been fairly pointless.

Substance and context is what counts. If a buyer leaves lots of negs, it could be because they're jerks...but it could just as easily be that they're fed up with the trash that is routinely sent out in comics, by people who don't know what they're doing...or worse: do.

57 minutes ago, the blob said:

They could not even bother cutting the 2 pieces of thin cardboard to be as big as the bag and board?

15489841143471794220130.jpg

I'm sorry that I am laughing right now but this case of laziness struck me as funny. I've seen lots of that over the years and I don't think it will ever end. There will always be lazy, clueless, idiotic people in the ebay community.

38 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

None of this is unusual. In fact, it's pretty par for the course on eBay.

That is why stories from sellers of "nightmare buyers" who "can't be pleased" should always be taken with a couple of pounds of salt, and why feedback profiles on eBay have....since 1995....been fairly pointless.

Substance and context is what counts. If a buyer leaves lots of negs, it could be because they're jerks...but it could just as easily be that they're fed up with the trash that is routinely sent out in comics, by people who don't know what they're doing...or worse: do.

It was three packages in a row that amazed me. The last one was from a comic seller with good books. And I can't complain because I got a good deal. The other two were folks who occasionally sell comics.