• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,163 posts in this topic

Had the most unintentionally funny comment made to me by a seller today: "All slabbed sales are final. We stand behind CBCS/CGC grading."

A complete and total contradiction, in the span of two breaths. 

lol

They don't "stand behind" in the normal sense that, if the buyer disagrees, they'll honor a return, that they'll make it right with the buyer if the buyer is unsatisfied.

What they actually mean is "see that number on the label? That's the grade the book is in. And don't you question it." Nevermind SCS, nevermind possible damage in shipping, nevermind just plain ol' overgrading. 

And this is a big, nationally known comics dealer. :D

I would be wary of purchasing collectibles from this seller:

host6033

I won an auction for the full run of Spawn Origins Hardcovers. 8 of which are First Editions. He sent a message saying, "I've packed them to the best of my ability to preserve their condition". Lo and behold, when I receive the box, he put literally no packing materials in the package. The box was probably twice the size of all 10 books combined. So, as you can imagine, all corners were dented and all covers are scuffed.

Now, Spawn Hardcovers aren't as high-value as the majority of CGC and vintage books, but Books 1 and 3 can be expensive to replace. Book 1 was basically completely destroyed. I told him that comic book properties should be taken care of as if they're all very valuable.

After a couple of days of communicating, he did refund the shipping cost and 35% of the auction. I really didn't want to leave anything better than neutral feedback, but I feel like the auction price + refund made me whole. I left him positive feedback because of this.

I would just be very cautious about purchasing anything you may consider valuable from this guy.

Unfortunately for too many people "safe shipping" equates to 1) I put it in a box and can't see it anymore, so it's properly packed, and 2) I brought it to the post office and handed it over to them without dropping it or damaging it, so the post office should be able to get it to you without any problems because...magic.

I sold a raw Rai 0 on eBay that I graded as VF- 7.5. The feedback I received from the buyer was brutal!

Spoiler

Hole in box cracked mirror scuff on back.do not believe seller sent that way 

:D    At least it was positive feedback!

Edited by mrwoogieman

1 hour ago, moemaya said:

Ebay Sellers - any luck using "stock" images of comics instead of the real image? it takes me so long to

do my own images. i see sellers using stock images a lot.

But then the buyer can't actually judge what they are getting for their own eyes. 

7 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

But then the buyer can't actually judge what they are getting for their own eyes. 

yes obviously - but it doesnt seem to concern some large ebay sellers that I see using stock images. In the end I am not going to use stock images, as you only find the front cover. Im curious more than anything how some sellers get away with it, and Im talking books $20-50 no less.

the seller "mycomicshop" has tons of these type of listings. even books well over $100 with stock image in Fine condition. How do you know what your getting? As a buyer I would never do this...

Edited by moemaya

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, moemaya said:

Ebay Sellers - any luck using "stock" images of comics instead of the real image? it takes me so long to

do my own images. i see sellers using stock images a lot.

If it is a brand new book and your copy is pristine, I have used stock images on occasion, but you need to give it a grade I think. Don't say "judge the grade yourself from the scan!"

Edited by the blob

While I hate the automatic relisting under Good 'Til Cancelled, I love the new feature that allows you to easily send offers to those watching your items (or at least some of them). I sent a bunch of offers this morning, let's see if I love the feature as much later today when none get taken!

UPDATE: I sold an item with this new feature..so I like it!

Edited by Bird

3 hours ago, Bird said:

While I hate the automatic relisting under Good 'Til Cancelled, I love the new feature that allows you to easily send offers to those watching your items (or at least some of them). I sent a bunch of offers this morning, let's see if I love the feature as much later today when none get taken!

UPDATE: I sold an item with this new feature..so I like it!

How does one do this? And you said “some”, what’s the criteria for availability?

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

How does one do this? And you said “some”, what’s the criteria for availability?

all answers in the seller's update!

I revised an item and when I chose "revise another item" the option was above the items that I could do this for.

17 minutes ago, Bird said:
20 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I revised an item and when I chose "revise another item" the option was above the items that I could do this for.

I did the same, I had 3 watchers on an item, the way ebay put it to me was: People have showed interest in your item, send offer to have it sold quicker.

It only sent it to 2 people of the 3 watchers, so I'm not sure if a "buyer" who is watching also has to hit a button "showing interest" or not.....

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
20 minutes ago, Bird said:
22 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I did the same, I had 3 watchers on an item, the way ebay put it to me was: People have showed interest in your item, send offer to have it sold quicker.

It only sent it to 2 people of the 3 watchers, so I'm not sure if a "buyer" who is watching also has to hit a button "showing interest" or not.....

Furthermore :shy: when I look at "selling" and then "active", the send offer is available with those who are watching :foryou: 

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Furthermore :shy: when I look at "selling" and then "active", the send offer is available with those who are watching :foryou: 

It seems to be more complicated than that because I have watchers on items that I could not send an offer to when I looked into it it said stuff about the  duration of the listing which is why I directed the other poster to just look at the seller update it seems complicated