• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, justafan said:

They must be seeing a trend.  too many sellers not paying for the ebay store subscription.  too many sellers taking advantage of the monthly and quarterly free listing bonus and serious sales only occurring during the coupon days. Hence, they are not making enough money on all the free frequent unsold listings.  But most of all, they must be seeing some real gains in the items sold and paid at full price just seconds to minutes past the coupon expiration time.  I bet they are looking to capture the arbitrage from our mistakes as sellers as well by hoping to net some real money from the listings that we forget to cancel before the 30-day mark.

Either that or they are just being dorks.

I think they just want people to do everything possible to sell books within the month and push people to go with the auction route.  They can always stop giving away free listings if they think too many people are abusing the feature.  I pay for a 1,000 listing store so you would think they would cut me some slack.

Edited by 1Cool

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think they just want people to do everything possible to sell books within the month and push people to go with the auction route.  They can always stop giving away free listings if they think too many people are abusing the feature.  I pay for a 1,000 listing store so you would think they would cut me some slack.

dang I hadn't realized it was being enforced on paid ebay store sellers.  Well in that case you're probably going to end up seeing a lot more auction listings with high starting prices at or above where the BIN would be.  

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If eBay offered free listings on everything, I would list a lot more. But they don't seem to agree.

They just offered me a free store for 2 months and I accepted but I do not see any links on my seller homepage to actually set it up!

18 minutes ago, justafan said:

dang I hadn't realized it was being enforced on paid ebay store sellers.  Well in that case you're probably going to end up seeing a lot more auction listings with high starting prices at or above where the BIN would be.  

naw - it won't effect the casual seller unless they list a book and just forget it (which i don't think many people do).  E-Bay doesn't prevent you from ending an item early so people will just end all the items early unless they want to go with the automatic relist option.  If they locked you in and charged you a fee if you ended the listing before it sells then i could see people moving over to the auction format.

14 minutes ago, Bird said:

They just offered me a free store for 2 months and I accepted but I do not see any links on my seller homepage to actually set it up!

Go to your selling tools (on your sellers home page) and see how many listings you get per month.  Other then setting up a logo and branding there is not really much different to setting up a store then you are doing now (but with way more listing available).  Where you thinking something big would happen with a store?

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If eBay offered free listings on everything, I would list a lot more. But they don't seem to agree.

They offer free listings if you list from your phone. They call it mobile listing I think. All my listings are no fee and auto-relist until sold or cancelled bc I do everything but print labels from my phone. Once the system glitched and I got charged about 50 bucks for listing fees. I called and they fixed it. 

Just now, KobaltDog said:

They offer free listings if you list from your phone. They call it mobile listing I think. All my listings are no fee and auto-relist until sold or cancelled bc I do everything but print labels from my phone. Once the system glitched and I got charged about 50 bucks for listing fees. I called and they fixed it. 

Some of the people reading this will laugh...

This is my phone:

flipphone.jpg&f=1

Maybe I'll have to transition to the 21st century....

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Some of the people reading this will laugh...

This is my phone:

flipphone.jpg&f=1

Maybe I'll have to transition to the 21st century....

Well...Maybe you should stick with your flip phone, I'm honestly not sure about the rules on the mobile offers. Every time I talk to eBay customer service I get a different answer about it, but it's working for me. Also, they've been offering me 100-200 free listings the past couple of months, did you get that offer? 

22 minutes ago, KobaltDog said:

You’ll have to educate me on how to access these unlimited free mobile listings as I do most of my listing on my phone. Once I exceed my monthly 50 free listings I start getting charged an insertion fee like everyone else. 

And as far as phonage, I’m in the 21st century so at least that’s not the issue. ;)

Edit to add:

In fact, last month I was listing on my phone and their price managing feature was switched on and there was no way to turn it off on my phone. I had to go ahead and post the listings and then go to the full site on my tablet and revise all the listings to shut it off. 

So you’re definitely enjoying something on your phone that I’m not. 

Edited by Number 6

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, this is a permanent change, and yes, everyone is up in arms about it.

There is a way to get around it... at least what I have noticed... 

Change things to 'no returns'.  I received a message that the return policy was non compliant with the good till cancelled feature so my items would not be listed as good till cancelled.

Now why would I list 'no returns'.  I sell a lot of jewelry on my account.  I have already received message from buyers asking for pictures in different light because they want to see how it looks in different settings which is fine.  They then tell me that normally they just order and if they do not like it they return it but since I have a no returns policy they decided to message me instead.  Hence... no returns. 

31 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You’ll have to educate me on how to access these unlimited free mobile listings as I do most of my listing on my phone. Once I exceed my monthly 50 free listings I start getting charged an insertion fee like everyone else. 

And as far as phonage, I’m in the 21st century so at least that’s not the issue. ;)

Edit to add:

In fact, last month I was listing on my phone and their price managing feature was switched on and there was no way to turn it off on my phone. I had to go ahead and post the listings and then go to the full site on my tablet and revise all the listings to shut it off. 

So you’re definitely enjoying something on your phone that I’m not. 

Yeah, I think I might have gotten free listings bc the customer support person was confused. I noticed I was being charged relisting fees on everything each month (for 3 months) so I called and they reversed the charges and credited my account for 150 free listings. Then the next month I got charged a relisting fee for everything again so I called and the customer service guy said I should never be charged a list fee if I list a mobile listing. I think he meant relist fee but anytime i go over my 50 listing and get charged i call and they reverse the charges. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There is a way to get around it... at least what I have noticed... 

Change things to 'no returns'.  I received a message that the return policy was non compliant with the good till cancelled feature so my items would not be listed as good till cancelled.

Now why would I list 'no returns'.  I sell a lot of jewelry on my account.  I have already received message from buyers asking for pictures in different light because they want to see how it looks in different settings which is fine.  They then tell me that normally they just order and if they do not like it they return it but since I have a no returns policy they decided to message me instead.  Hence... no returns. 

Only problem with that is for folks like me, I'd rather get the 10% discount in fees by accepting returns. Unless they have it set up so you can start out with "no returns" and then revise it to accepting returns without the "good till cancelled" coming back on. Which would still be a huge PITA.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Go to your selling tools (on your sellers home page) and see how many listings you get per month.  Other then setting up a logo and branding there is not really much different to setting up a store then you are doing now (but with way more listing available).  Where you thinking something big would happen with a store?

I expected a link or some sort of new banner to show me where to go. I got nada, just an offer that had no details that I accepted.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I see a link for buyers tools but not sellers tools. At the bottom of my selling page it has the 50 free listing information (and the 6 vehicles info) but nothing about a store or more listings.

Just now, Bird said:

I see a link for buyers tools but not sellers tools. At the bottom of my selling page it has the 50 free listing information (and the 6 vehicles info) but nothing about a store or more listings.

I don't think you have the store then.  It will show the increased number of listings in that chart on the bottom right of your sellers page if you had a store.

Just now, 1Cool said:

I don't think you have the store then.  It will show the increased number of listings in that chart on the bottom right of your sellers page if you had a store.

Thanks. It isn't a big deal but I was going to use it since I got the email and activated the offer. It said they would waive the fees for two months so I probably have to sign up even though it said activated.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yes, I had to purchase the store and will have to cancel it after the 2 months. I'll cancel that bad boy a little early to be sure, last day of April I guess.

14 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Only problem with that is for folks like me, I'd rather get the 10% discount in fees by accepting returns. Unless they have it set up so you can start out with "no returns" and then revise it to accepting returns without the "good till cancelled" coming back on. Which would still be a huge PITA.

Excellent point and you are correct.  I gave up on jumping through hoops for that discount though.  It got to the point that my parents have a key to my house and were making post office drops for me while I was at work.

My current turnaround is 1-2 days at worst as they still do that for me sometimes.  When it came to the jewelry though I experienced a few people trying to abuse the return policy.  Now I just say no returns and I raised prices. 

For the people that say anyone can return anything - people cannot.  And since this policy someone wanted to return something and I felt they were right (it happens) and all made good on it.  But... that is one return in over two years. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Excellent point and you are correct.  I gave up on jumping through hoops for that discount though.  It got to the point that my parents have a key to my house and were making post office drops for me while I was at work.

My current turnaround is 1-2 days at worst as they still do that for me sometimes.  When it came to the jewelry though I experienced a few people trying to abuse the return policy.  Now I just say no returns and I raised prices. 

For the people that say anyone can return anything - people cannot.  And since this policy someone wanted to return something and I felt they were right (it happens) and all made good on it.  But... that is one return in over two years. 

Please elaborate on the discount referenced that’s apparently linked to accepting returns...? Not tracking...