• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible Collection? Seriously...

364 posts in this topic

lol, perfect -- couldn't have said it better. Easy there rich-worshipers, I'm sure I would do the same as this guy, maybe more, had I $$$$$ at my disposal. But I probably wouldn't consider what I'd achieved to be "impossible" -- or label it as such. :)

The dismissiveness of this guy's near 20 year commitment to his collection is strong in you.

The owner of the collection didn't label it as 'impossible', the writer of the linked article did. The writer was probably fed that term by the guys at Metropolis.

if anyone had the $$$ to do so and the desire, it would not be hard to duplicate the collection in question, or one comparable to it.

Yeah, if everyone did, but they don't. Very, very few people ever have the money to duplicate the collection, so that sentence is pointless.

Anyone know what copy of Tec 27 he has? I wonder if he has the Allentown...

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Allentown Tec 27 is owned by the Dentist.

This is correct

His Tec 27 looks to be in the Fine 6.0 range

Calling all billionaires! Show us your "impossible" comic collection. It must include 2 high grade Action Comics #1 and a lot of super keys. You must be willing to show it to the public.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are such slackers!

So will the owner of the Detective #27 CGC 9.2 own the 'Also Impossible" collection?

How about Dave Anderson who owns (arguably) the best of all the DC keys, which are not going to be for sale for at least 2 generations. The 'Mission Impossible' collection?

How about John Verzyl who owns every single Edgar Church Timely except for maybe 5 or 6 of them. The Cap #1 is one that isn't a Timely. It's a CGC 9.8 (Allentown) and the Marvel #1 Church copy is rumored to be flawless and a 9.8 as well.

Nice books but collecting comics would be boring if there is no challenge/risk/reward and as a billionaire I'd rather collect supermodels.

Im pretty sure he is pulling some fine looking women.

Btw . Lots of haterade being sipped on in this thread. lol

Columbia Comics.....Im a new member here and would like to get to know everyone. And support comic shop owners that contribute here..If in fact you do have a store/Ebay site, I will definitely take my cash elsewhere.

. After reading you putting down another collector is not only petty but extremely juvenile.

Billionaire or not, I think a guy like this who still collects comics is freaking awesome....

So will the owner of the Detective #27 CGC 9.2 own the 'Also Impossible" collection?

How about Dave Anderson who owns (arguably) the best of all the DC keys, which are not going to be for sale for at least 2 generations. The 'Mission Impossible' collection?

How about John Verzyl who owns every single Edgar Church Timely except for maybe 5 or 6 of them. The Cap #1 is one that isn't a Timely. It's a CGC 9.8 (Allentown) and the Marvel #1 Church copy is rumored to be flawless and a 9.8 as well.

meh

Bah, all those guys cheated.. they got the books when they were cheap :baiting: seriously, I'd like to see Adam's personal collection right now .... even without his Pop's books..... I bet there's some sweet stuff in those boxes.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If Brulato and Dave Anderson would open up their collections for the world to see it would be awesome.

I applaud this guy for doing it. There will always be jealous people and haters...oh you are rich so it's easy to get a great collection. It's really easy to count other people's money too.

Kudos to this guy for opening up the vault for us to see into it just for a short time.

I'd love to go see it in person.

Only collections I have a problem seeing are those that are assembled using ill gotten gains. Knowing what I know about someone like Doug Schmell, I am not impressed by anything he has assembled or done with his comic books.

I would love to see Anderson and Verzyl's collections.

With the exception of the Hulk1 9.4 and ASM1 9.8 ( of which there is only a small pic ), Brulato's collection can probably be googled. Just look up 9.8s of every early Marvel issue.

Good for them if they want to share their collection. However it was obtained-- it is certainly notable. I mean-- two Action 1 9's is very impressive.

However, I get the impression that what is causing the angst here is naming it "The Impossible Collection".

If it were actually an impossible collection, it would not exist. With enough money, another person could put together this collection. And I am not saying it isn't impressive- just poorly promoted. Maybe they mean impossible as incredibly difficult. anyway...

Most collectors work very long and hard to piece together collections - searching all over the place to find rare and high quality books. It is a labor of love. Simply buying them from a dealer(s) sort of diminishes the effort side of collecting that most of us find the fun part to begin with.

Though having people with deep pockets getting into the hobby is a good thing overall as it puts more cash/interest into the comic collecting realm imo.

Well-- unless you are on the losing end of a bidding war for some nosebleed book. I would doubt more than several dozen of the forum members here are in that boat.

I think the days of putting of putting together a collection like this the old fashioned way (through searching and hard work) are long gone if they ever existed at all. With rare exceptions, I doubt many of the great Golden Age collections were. (Maybe Bangzoom's?)

I could be wrong, but I doubt Dave Anderson got his books by going to conventions, yard sales, and antique shops. The great books find their way to the guys with money. Not the other way around.

Beyond that, you'd probably have to be well into your sixties to have had any chance to find books like these raw in high grade. Lacking a time machine, the only way the owner of this collection could get these books was to spend a lot of money.

lol, perfect -- couldn't have said it better. Easy there rich-worshipers, I'm sure I would do the same as this guy, maybe more, had I $$$$$ at my disposal. But I probably wouldn't consider what I'd achieved to be "impossible" -- or label it as such. :)

The dismissiveness of this guy's near 20 year commitment to his collection is strong in you.

The owner of the collection didn't label it as 'impossible', the writer of the linked article did. The writer was probably fed that term by the guys at Metropolis, always the salesmen.

WOW...somebody used hypebole to describe a comic collection...shocking!! :o:insane: