• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2023 at 7:28 AM, namisgr said:

If memory serves me, the Giant-Size Super-Stars (FF) #1 with its May, 1974 cover date was the first Marvel giant that began their brief regular production.  The first with Spidey has a June, 1974 cover date, and is also one of just a handful with a 35 cent cover price.

This was the copy I bought off the rack at the time.  I remember it was unusual to see in that it was giant-size but not an Annual, and didn't come out during summertime the way Marvel had rolled out its annuals in the past, when kids were off from school and had more free time.

GSSS1sale.thumb.jpg.c257107146ca20180d6935978414ba32.jpg

In the early days of CGC I bought and resold the only CGC 9.9 of this issue. Not surprising it's still the only copy with that grade.. Then and now I am still impressed by its "Mint" designation.

This FF #112 CGC 9.6 is a new acquisition for me that I'm not sure I ever owned unless it was in a collection I quickly sold. I went for this one because of the high grade. The miswrapped cover bugs me a little but there are only so many available for sale at any given time at a reasonable price. Despite the technical stuff, I love that black battle cover.

FF 112 CGC 9.6.jpg