• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Professional Graders

44 posts in this topic

Oh, how I hate that phrase. To me, it's a cop out.

But I'm looking through various listings today and, of course, I see it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281973838942

The funny thing is, however, that it's a comic book store that's selling the item. So, aren't they actually professional graders? I mean, they own a store. They sell comics. That's the definition of professional, right?

I hate that phrase since technically the only professional graders are the employees of CGC and the other grading companies and they are not allowed to buy or sell books.

It's almost as annoying as the 90% of people on facebook who don't know the proper use of sell vs sale.

"I have a book for sell"

"I want to sale a book"

:makepoint:

Would you get an appendix removed from a guy in an office that started off with, "not a professional, but it looks like it needs to be removed." :screwy:

Also look at the definition of "high grade" 7.5-10.0 ?!? :screwy::facepalm:

Any time you see that phrase in an auction, it's actually helpful.

It means one of two things, based on the photos:

Photos make the book look perfect, so the book is actually about 8.0

Photos make the book look a little rough, the book is actually about 3.0

Now, just bid accordingly.

(Bonus situation: If the book is from 2010 to present, then a great photo means the book is 9.0)

Looking at their website, they offer this service:

Appraising

Want to know what it's worth but not ready to part with it? We also offer an appraisal service! At the rate of $35/hr., we'll inventory your collection piece by piece, assign a collector's grade to it, and tell you the sum value of the whole. Contact us to schedule an appointment!

Looks like professional graders to me!

Problem is...is there any other way to cover yourself if you are selling (namely on eBay)?

I don't hear of it too much here on the boards marketplace...but we pretty much all understand that we are not professional graders...plus, for the most part, we are all a little better at grading that a random person selling comics on eBay.

On eBay, it's all over place. How do you protect yourself and your honest opinion of the grade when someone else may disagree?

The funny thing is, however, that it's a comic book store that's selling the item. So, aren't they actually professional graders? I mean, they own a store. They sell comics. That's the definition of professional, right?

I used to put something like that in my sportscard listings. I really didn't (and still don't) know how to grade cards. I would put them straight into soft sleeves and toploaders right out of the packs. I never learned the differences in truly high grade cards.

I guess my point is sometimes it might be someone who really doesn't have the skill set, as opposed to someone who puts it in there as a hedge against grading disputes.

On eBay, it's all over place. How do you protect yourself and your honest opinion of the grade when someone else may disagree?

"If only there was some third-party grading and encapsulation company for online purchases of comic books." - Every serious comic buyer online in the 1990s

I guess you have never purchased books from Mile High. They are still trying to keep their amateur status intact. :insane:

I guess you have never purchased books from Mile High. They are still trying to keep their amateur status intact. :insane:

If he claims to be a professional at anything, he'll have to start paying taxes. :gossip:

Problem is...is there any other way to cover yourself if you are selling (namely on eBay)?

I don't hear of it too much here on the boards marketplace...but we pretty much all understand that we are not professional graders...plus, for the most part, we are all a little better at grading that a random person selling comics on eBay.

You CAN'T protect yourself if the buyer disagrees with your grade once they get it in-hand.

If the seller grades it as "NM-" and the buyer thinks it's "VF+", it doesn't matter if you say "I'm not a professional grader", they can still return it as item not as described.

When putting a grade, I usually put something like "grading is always subjective, using Overstreet Grading Guide I grade this as...." and state the defects. At least it calls attention to the fact that grading IS subjective and hopefully alerts the buyer to defects they may not see in the pictures.

Bottomline, when it comes to condition and grading, on Ebay the buyer is always right.

I used to put something like that in my sportscard listings. I really didn't (and still don't) know how to grade cards. I would put them straight into soft sleeves and toploaders right out of the packs. I never learned the differences in truly high grade cards.

I guess my point is sometimes it might be someone who really doesn't have the skill set, as opposed to someone who puts it in there as a hedge against grading disputes.

Grading cards is fun because you get into centering issues. 80-20, 70-30, etc :P

"Professional grader" generally just means someone pays you for your opinion about the condition of books.

You don't need to work for a grading company to be a professional grader.

So technically then, if they buy your book that you spent time grading.... they paid you for your time and opinion on the book and so you ARE a "professional grader"! :cool:

Grading cards is fun because you get into centering issues. 80-20, 70-30, etc :P

Don't forget Miscut and, Stained, and Print Defect! :P I've often wondered what would happen if a company like PSA started grading comics and graded them like cards are graded.

"If only there was some third-party grading and encapsulation company for online purchases of comic books." - Every serious comic buyer online in the 1990s

Third-party grading was being discussed within a couple of years after PCGS and NGC (coins) were founded.