• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger the City the less comics sale???

33 posts in this topic

I was told by a really good store that the reason they don't sell comics out here in Odessa/Midland is because the cities are big, and that in big cities, comics don't sell well. Unless you are a retail store.

I suppose that is true, or could it just be better advertisement for said store?

Opinions? Input?

K THX Bye...oh and :hi:

I doubt that's the case. I have one comic book store within 80 miles of me, and Craigslist is DEAD.

You go to a big city and there's five comic shops in town at least, and a ton of sellers on Craigslist.

That is what I thought.

So what he said to me I thought was strange.

I think something is missing.

Supposedly one other store around here that does sell comics. Only way for me to know is to lurk.

But I have found LCS's in the most strangest, and bizarre of places. Cities and locations you'd think you wouldn't find one at lol

Some strip-mall owners would rather let the entire place sit empty than drop their rates around here.
I've heard that shopping malls charge the anchor stores a ton of money and allow the smaller stores surprisingly cheap rent, which is why you have stores with nothing but used NES games, or eyebrow waxers, or whatever. But that strip malls do the opposite, and a Walgreens or KFC would get dirt cheap rent while the smaller stores are charged the high prices.

Some strip-mall owners would rather let the entire place sit empty than drop their rates around here.
I've heard that shopping malls charge the anchor stores a ton of money and allow the smaller stores surprisingly cheap rent, which is why you have stores with nothing but used NES games, or eyebrow waxers, or whatever. But that strip malls do the opposite, and a Walgreens or KFC would get dirt cheap rent while the smaller stores are charged the high prices.

Bastards!

The mall near me had a comic book showcase store that was only open during the peak holiday season, but it didn't come back this year. Maybe most collectors don't think mall = comics?

All kidding aside ( and I lived in houston for three and never heard Odessa referred to as a city..) as pointed out, it's more about rent. My shops here in nyc sell a ton, but you need to sell 5 tons to pay nyc retail rent. A city with more modest rents should pose less of a problem.

With that said,high rent may lead to people buying less stuff due to lack of space, although that never stopped me even in a manhattan studio apartment.

The NYC rent is insane. Metropolis recently moved and I cannot wonder if it simply was a rent issue as the old issue was in Union Square. I am NOT suggesting that they are hurting for money. I am suggesting that they realized it was no longer worth it paying Union Square rents when they could move uptown 20 blocks to what is presumably cheaper per square foot. (The new place seems larger but I do not believe price per square foot is as expensive as it is literally in Union Square - I could easily be wrong though)

It would not surprise me if one day they eventually moved out of the city all together as more people continue to buy online.

The NYC rent is insane. Metropolis recently moved and I cannot wonder if it simply was a rent issue as the old issue was in Union Square. I am NOT suggesting that they are hurting for money. I am suggesting that they realized it was no longer worth it paying Union Square rents when they could move uptown 20 blocks to what is presumably cheaper per square foot. (The new place seems larger but I do not believe price per square foot is as expensive as it is literally in Union Square - I could easily be wrong though)

It would not surprise me if one day they eventually moved out of the city all together as more people continue to buy online.

For the time being I'm sure a city location is essential to them, but yeah it doesn't have to be in Union Square. I think the day that they can't sustain a brick and mortar anymore will be a bad day for them, because by that time there will be much larger online retailers with far more polished sites and far more established markets. Would be smart to break into it now if they think that day is ever coming. TFAW and DCBS and of course Chuck for those who simply Google "comic book shop" will only be bigger and better by then.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Metro doesn't sell new comics or the latest bust. DCBS doesn't sell million dollar books. No one will overtake Metro by designing a sleeker website.

Metro also does not even allow people to walk in off the street (well unless your net worth is north of a million), it's appointment only.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Metro doesn't sell new comics or the latest bust. DCBS doesn't sell million dollar books. No one will overtake Metro by designing a sleeker website.

Metro also does not even allow people to walk in off the street (well unless your net worth is north of a million), it's appointment only.

You still don't know the secret knock, do you?

I didn't know that. I thought it was a regular comic shop. If that's the case then they certainly don't need a store.

I didn't know that. I thought it was a regular comic shop. If that's the case then they certainly don't need a store.

that sounds wrong-- what if you are just some comic-oblivious people looking to sell your AF15? I guess that could be appointment only but I would bet they would trip over themselves getting you inside the door.