• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

On 2013-02-05 at 11:57 AM, joeypost said:

IIRC black inks do not show up under balck light. If it is paint...maybe. Black CT is usually spotted by feel or your eye.

Recently passed on an ASM 300 that looked like it had color touch ... sorry no pics... there was 2 black lines inside cover and when I held up to the light the lines perfectly matched 2 creases by staples.... I looked at front cover but gloss didn't seem affected by crease lines....I used iphone flashlight and had reading glasses on.... my gut was telling  me maybe a small marker pen was used lightly on creases .... just opening cover there was small black lines without holding to light.... they were kind of dotted ... not sharp straight lines.... by glancing at book it looked fine...Was this color touch ? or is there a production defect like this on this book ?

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

Hey guys, I am about to pull the trigger on this copy of Journey into Mystery 112, but I wanted to check the staples.  I got some better pics from the sellers and wanted to see what you all thought.  They aren't real high res but I figured it would be worth checking.  The book just seems to be in really good shape for it's price so that is why I wanted to double check the staples.  The seller has a lot of sales and great feedback, and said to his knowledge none of the books he has sold have been altered (and they are all from a very large lot he purchased).

What do you guys think of the staples?

Also, what do you think of the cover?  Most of the covers I have seen of this book are white all the way through, but this one has a blue hue toward the top.

Thanks again.

staple1.jpg

staple2.jpg

staples.jpg

thorcover.jpg

Edited by James Lawry
added another pic.

Hello everyone I'm new and browsing the forum and wanted to add that black ink restore or covering minor black color breaks is a real pain in the ars and seems to be rampant with coppers and even moderns. It's really messed up and hard to tell at first glance especially if it's "fine dotted" and there no bleed.

I bought a ASM 300 for a premium and it had black ink I'm certain. I brought it back to who I purchased from and he argued till no end. Literally I wanted to punch him. It was not the only copper I've gotten  recently that has had this desecration.

I think if you just be realistic and rational and a book looks to good to be true to ask more questions or for more photos. Alot of sellers will ignore you but hey.

Edited by Obi-Wan

On 2/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Recently passed on an ASM 300 that looked like it had color touch ... sorry no pics... there was 2 black lines inside cover and when I held up to the light the lines perfectly matched 2 creases by staples.... I looked at front cover but gloss didn't seem affected by crease lines....I used iphone flashlight and had reading glasses on.... my gut was telling  me maybe a small marker pen was used lightly on creases .... just opening cover there was small black lines without holding to light.... they were kind of dotted ... not sharp straight lines.... by glancing at book it looked fine...Was this color touch ? or is there a production defect like this on this book ?

I always check for color touch by backlighting the cover with a powerful 5000k led light.  It’s nearly failproof with color touch that doesn’t bleed through.  The color touch is opaque compared to the ink used during manufacturing so they stand out.  I caught ct on an MS5 this way so started using it for most purchases (for questionable books).  I think GA covers may not be as easy to detect due to the thickness of the paper but it works on SA/BA.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:45 PM, James Lawry said:

Hey guys, I am about to pull the trigger on this copy of Journey into Mystery 112, but I wanted to check the staples.  I got some better pics from the sellers and wanted to see what you all thought.  They aren't real high res but I figured it would be worth checking.  The book just seems to be in really good shape for it's price so that is why I wanted to double check the staples.  The seller has a lot of sales and great feedback, and said to his knowledge none of the books he has sold have been altered (and they are all from a very large lot he purchased).

What do you guys think of the staples?

Also, what do you think of the cover?  Most of the covers I have seen of this book are white all the way through, but this one has a blue hue toward the top.

Thanks again.

staple1.jpg

staple2.jpg

staples.jpg

thorcover.jpg

Looked like an amateur leaf casting.

9 hours ago, Phil the Governor said:

Amateur leaf-casting? Go on.... :popcorn:

I believe he may use the rice paper or archival tape before tipping in with slurry pulp. Do you notice the glossy lineal paths in middle of the wrap?  It is a tell-tale restoration. You can find more information about the leaf casting.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, Aslpride8 said:

Thank you all for great tips on this thread! 

Is blacklight a foolproof to detect any restoration with color touch up? 

No. There are many substances that glow under black light aside from inks/paints used in restoration. At best black light can help verify a suspected area, but it is far from foolproof. I used to use black light years ago but no longer do. Now I just depend on experience, good lighting and, where needed, a magnifier.

I'm in a comic book pressers group and we had to toss a member for advocating cleaning a book with Hydrogen Peroxide diluted down. His rational was that it's ok because every book he sends into CGC or CBCS they don't catch it and he get's a Blue Label. Obviously CGC lists this as restoration if detected. I did a little online research and there is no way to spectrally see this form of restoration however there is a way to detect it in very minute amounts down to parts per billion. I am wondering if CGC needs to use a technique such as this to catch dishonest submitters. 

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/am1012535

Edited by CoyoteTwelve
formatting

If a book has been submitted with pre-screen, to check if the book will improve with pressing AND/OR if restoration exists (you know, those little check boxes)....and an e-mail is received indicating pressing services are not required and it's moving to grading...does that mean it also passed the restoration pre-screen? I assume yes, but it's not explicitly addressed in the e-mail.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

If a book has been submitted with pre-screen, to check if the book will improve with pressing AND/OR if restoration exists (you know, those little check boxes)....and an e-mail is received indicating pressing services are not required and it's moving to grading...does that mean it also passed the restoration pre-screen? I assume yes, but it's not explicitly addressed in the e-mail.

Yes, but there is no guarantee. Resto can still be caught by the graders.