• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2018 at 9:00 PM, CoyoteTwelve said:

I'm in a comic book pressers group and we had to toss a member for advocating cleaning a book with Hydrogen Peroxide diluted down. His rational was that it's ok because every book he sends into CGC or CBCS they don't catch it and he get's a Blue Label. Obviously CGC lists this as restoration if detected. I did a little online research and there is no way to spectrally see this form of restoration however there is a way to detect it in very minute amounts down to parts per billion. I am wondering if CGC needs to use a technique such as this to catch dishonest submitters. 

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/am1012535

I hate guys that always try to game the system. Nowadays, it's all about trying to get something past CGC. I also hate guys that game the system and brag about it. I think you should supply this guy's name. At least contact CGC about him. Perhaps they can ban him. 

CGC also use the rating "Reconditioned" if there is a small piece of tape on a Golden Age comic....sometimes "Reconditioned" sometimes "Universal". I have six inconsistent ratings from them with tape on the cover used in the same way. Just put over ta  tear.

BTW the tape on the books is older then I am.  I agree with the lowering of the rating, but it is either reconditioned or universal and it should be lowered by the same rating consistently for the same condition

Of course the only resolve with CGC is to pay for another review. 

Be great if they could be address this issue as it has an effect on the trust in their ratings.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm sure some collectors do, but if you're selling, it's probably best that you inform the buyer that the book has been pressed. I sent some books to @joeypost and I received some higher grades than I would have gotten without pressing.

As for restored comics, it depends on the person and it depends on the type of restoration. Quite frankly, I don't understand how a book that is worth $1000 with a blue label is suddenly worth $200-$250 with a "small amount of color touch on cover." Yes, most collectors want blue labels. I purchased a Showcase #6 with a PLOD (small amount of color touch on cover), and I'm still happy with it. Showcase #6 was a hard book to find (at least for me it was), and I was happy to get a restored copy rather than not having a copy at all.

Of course, YMMV.

Joe

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled by the plunge in value for even pro and very light colour touch.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:36 PM, piper said:

Definitely professional level work!

CGC head grader and resto checker Matt Nelson interviewed for 1.5 hrs by Nico Esq June, 2020. 1st 30 mins quite good about CGC resto checks, trimming, color touch, Hulk #181 production flaws, using a magnifying loop, etc. posted on Youtube Matt Nelson speaketh

On 9/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm sure some collectors do, but if you're selling, it's probably best that you inform the buyer that the book has been pressed. I sent some books to @joeypost and I received some higher grades than I would have gotten without pressing.

As for restored comics, it depends on the person and it depends on the type of restoration. Quite frankly, I don't understand how a book that is worth $1000 with a blue label is suddenly worth $200-$250 with a "small amount of color touch on cover." Yes, most collectors want blue labels. I purchased a Showcase #6 with a PLOD (small amount of color touch on cover), and I'm still happy with it. Showcase #6 was a hard book to find (at least for me it was), and I was happy to get a restored copy rather than not having a copy at all.

Of course, YMMV.

Joe

Don't complain about the price discrepancy for purple, it's the only way I'll be able to touch some of the big books!  

Depending on the book and what was done,  I'm ok with buying a restored book. 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

Don't complain about the price discrepancy for purple, it's the only way I'll be able to touch some of the big books!  

I wasn't complaining. I currently have three PLOD books (Showcase #6, Fantastic Four #6, and Tales to Astonish #35). Would I like to have blue labels? Of course I would. However, it took me a LONG time to find any copy of Showcase #6. I'm glad that I have it, regardless of its grade and label color.

Just now, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I wasn't complaining. I currently have three PLOD books (Showcase #6, Fantastic Four #6, and Tales to Astonish #35). Would I like to have blue labels? Of course I would. However, it took me a LONG time to find any copy of Showcase #6. I'm glad that I have it, regardless of its grade and label color.

Yeah, I never intentionally bought a restored book until this year. 

I decided I was going after a Hulk 1. When I finally sold and saved enough to afford one,  it was a choice between really really beat up copies or a nice presenting copy that was slightly trimmed and had a little CT. I bought the restored one. 

I've since picked up a few rare Cole PCH books restored and I'm pretty happy with all of them.  Of course I would love blue labels,  but I'm pretty comfortable with my choices. 

Everyone's thoughts on this book? I am considering getting this. It has had some light color restoration on the front cover. I can't see it anywhere. Hard to spot. It has also had the pages trimmed. How bad is this going to hurt the grade?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, KCOComics said:

Fancy V.S.E. machine. Seems to be like an x-ray scan that can be used for grading vintage comics, non-sports cards, sports card rookies:

I’m planning on submitting any clearly read and opened issues later date.  my next Cgc order truth is I have so much I  really care about . The back is surprisingly nice these are examples of things that I looking forward to not this order but maybe after I’m done with all the ones I believe to be pristine 10x10 mint condition  then I will ones I know Clearly below standards with hope of meeting a comic book restoration expert that is willing to work with a burger 🍔 boy like me to restore these comics and then grade them !! I could share pics all day these are the ones that I want to hope for possible restoring for serious art collector purpose 🧐 these are my favorite comics their more that I want to collect and if I get that mint pristine condition I will contact a expert professional to grade my attained asset ::

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I ended up getting a LED magnify desk lamp...you can see everything so much more clearly. Even a book that looks like it's a 10.0 and perfect, CGC will still call it a 9.6 regardless...no idea what they are seeing what I'm not. 

On 3/5/2003 at 7:14 AM, OldGuy said:

"I guess the general idea is that stamps have been worth big money and been susceptible to fraud 50 to 100 years earlier than comics have, which explains why their hobby has developed better scientific techniques to detect fraud."

Maybe it's also illegal to "alter" or counterfeit stamps because they are basically a form of US currency? I don't know, but I would assume so.

The percentage of remaining “gum” on the back of a stamp’s surface might have to be ascertained, along with checking for re-gumming attempts, tiny remnants of hinges on the back, and examination of the number & condition of perforations—all elements that contribute to value. And those are only a few of the factors. But yes, the stamp collector’s tools are definitely useful for the examination of comic books.

Just sorting some books to send off to CGC and thought this MTU #31 was nice, then spotted this under the N, does it look like color touch? No bleed through and the lines are so sharp, I can't make my mind up, so thought I would consult the experts.

20231105_121542.jpg