• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full back boards with a slight bend are they ok to use?? can you flatten
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi

Not having the best of luck at the moment the full back boards have come with a slight bend to them I have attached a photo it shows the bend as it should be straight next to the white paper but there is a clear gap showing the bend.

Are they ok to use? I am concerned to use them as they will be storing high grade comics.

Will they bend the comics?

drKFHGw.jpg

Edited by 777comic

So i have been pressing these with weights for a week but they are still bent.

I know it may seem stupid but this is really getting to me.

The comics they are for are very expensive and can't bring myself to use them being bent like they are it may be about 0.3cm or so bend but it's a bend.

Any advice???

Edited by 777comic

:eyeroll:

Buy new ones.

Actually, this happens with just about EVERY pack of full backs that I buy.If I place an order for them in the summer, they are unusable bc of humidity during the summer.

I buy a case at a time, and stack all 10 packs on top of one another, let them sit for about a week....with 50 poynds of weight, placed on top of the stack.

Then I will take the pack of 50 from the bottom of the stack.

That is usually enough time, weight to press out the bend.

When i sub book to CGC, I take out books that have been stored in my $5 or $10 boxes for a year or so, ...and use THOSE M2's and full backs, for my CGC subs.

They will always work best, because they have been "pressed out" by the weight of being in a short box.

Thanks put some weight on for a week and no good so I have unsealed the boards and have put them opposite each other then stacked a great huge stack of magazines on top and just hoping that does the trick.

Once they have been flattened will they go back to being bent again???

An anyone saying buy some more they are all arriving like this.

Also I am not being picky just not going to risk $100 upwards books with any possible damage.

The only thing is I can't board anything so everything is lying around in small piles on top of each other.

I mean a serious amount of magazines around 153

+ 10KG weight

About 85KG on them at the moment 13.38 stone

Damn you English and your lousing up of the Metric system... :preach:

That aside, you should stack 2 long boxes on top of the 10 packs of boards...then stack 2 short comic book boxes on top of the long boxes

That is about 150 pounds of weight.

Give it a week....and the pack on the very bottom will be usable.

That is what I have done, it works.

Also, keep the rest of them sealed and UNDER THE WEIGHTS, while not in use.

Finally, I will add the following:

Everything I have said is based on the experiences I have had with cases of Gerber Full Backs I have ordered, from MULTIPLE sources.The problem is shifting during transit, coupled with humidity, which really makes buying full backs (and storing them) in the summer months...a huge PITA.

Annnnnnd:

I cannot make heads or tails out of what the issue is with the board you have pictured.All of my advice is given under the belief that you are dealing with full backs that lie cockeyed.It looks like it may have come into contact with water...or just an extreme amount of condensation, which is plausible considering you are in the UK.If that is the case, they are useless.

Edit:

Just looked at that pic on my desktop....that top board needs to be trashed, the others are fine.They just need to be weighed down.

End of edit.

If the actual texture of the board does not feel flat and it is RIPPLED, you will have to RETURN THEM....and by "rippled", I mean, water/condensation damaged.

A pack of boards should lie flat, with a very slight concave towards the middle of the board.IOW, a slight concave is GOOD/DESIRED as the spine of the book is "cradled" by the board.

To clarify my meaning.A regular pack of BCW boards will have a coated side, the coat being termed "acid free".We all know that they are not acid free, that is not what I'm getting at.Most comic shops just bag/board their books with out flipping a board over....which is stupid.

You want to flip the board over and use the other side of the board,as that is the side with the slight concave of the book, towards the center.

Same thing with Gerber Full Backs, when you remove a board from the pack, flip the board over and place the comic on the board.That side will have the concave, because the pressure of the shrinkwrap, which pulls the boards downward.

I should win boardie of the year, for the suggestions I made to you, in the two threads you created ;)

Seriously, this is how you want to go about dealing with properly bagging/boarding books:)

Edited by CopperAgeKids

...Okay, here is my "finally, #2.... :gossip:

I posted, in your last thread, that you need to run your thumb over each of the ridges/edges of all 4 sides of each full back, before using them.

In the pic that you posted, (look at the second board.

You will see, if you run your finger over the edges, that each edge has a slightly raised lip.

That is specifically what I was referring to , with my comment about running your thumbnail over all 4 edges of the board.

The photo shows a sealed pack of boards next to a single white sheet of paper to show the bend.

I know it's not a great photo but the wooden gap you can see is the bend the only way to show it was to have it next to a white straight paper.

0.039 inch

0.1 cm

1 mm

That is the size of the bend

ibmzcMc.jpg

This photo show it the boards are on a white sheet so the white you see is the extent of the bend.

I have 185 pounds in weight on them at present.

Edited by 777comic

Was there ever a consensus answer to this question?

On my 3rd order of full-backs and each one has the top left raised higher than the rest of the board (bend or whatever you want to call it) - and it most definitely will cause two ticks along the spine. I've put the weights on em for a week etc. and nothing seems to work.

I must be getting a bad batch or something?