• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Avengers #1 such a slow grower (money wise)?

45 posts in this topic

I, too, care, and have always thought that it's a great book, even if not of the same importance as FF #1, AF #15, and the like.

When I first started reading and collecting as a 17 year old, I was prompted by a comic-reading friend to do so who'd been saving his collection since '64 when we were 10. One of his oldest books was an Avengers #1 (pretty beat up, given that he was ten when he first read it), and in the early seventies he'd gotten it signed by Stan. On our trip to the Phil Seuling NY Comic Con in 1975, he had Kirby and Frankie Giacoia sign it, too - truly, a special original owner copy of a really cool SA Marvel.

Avengers #1 definitely hit a speedbump as far as value goes, but as a collector I don't really care. Still one of my favorite series to "complete".  I did stop around 370 something I think because I didn't have much interest even going above #300.  Couldn't help myself though on some in the 25 cent bin of my LCS 😕