• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Avengers #1 such a slow grower (money wise)?

45 posts in this topic

This seems very strange to me as The Avengers movies (And the future looks very bright as well as there are more and more movies that will be released) have done very well and they have become one of the fan favorite super hero teams of all time.

I would have thought it would have passed BB28 but not even close why is this?

I am a big fan of The Avengers and will pick up a mid grade Avengers #1 some time in the near future. To be honest I prefer The Avengers story line much more than the Justice League Of America series (I will still keep my BB28 and I have zero intentions of selling it).

Edited by Hulk1962

Its not a tough book to get. Sort of like xmen 1. And both are blue chip keys that move like glaciers. One would think that when their premiere movies were announced, they both experiences the normal explosion in value, not that they were cheap even prior, but the investment potential just isnt there and others are looking at other books for that payday. If you are a collector, buy it keep it and upgrade when you ever get the chance. They do get tougher in higher grades. Again both are common as dirt in the low end.

This seems very strange to me as The Avengers movies (And the future looks very bright as well as there are more and more movies that will be released) have done very well and they have become one of the favorite super hero teams of all time.

I am a big fan of The Avengers and will pick up a mid grade Avengers #1 some time in the near future. To be honest I prefer The Avengers story line much more than the Justice League Of America series (I will still keep my BB28 and I have zero intentions of selling it).

Avengers 1 experienced a huge run up already. If it kept growing at the same rates that it grew at leading up to the first Avengers movie, its prices would be at AF 15 levels now.

It hasn`t passed B&B 28 because Avengers 1s are a zillion times easier to find than B&B 28s.

Edited by tth2

Its not a tough book to get. Sort of like xmen 1. And both are blue chip keys that move like glaciers. One would think that when their premiere movies were announced, they both experiences the normal explosion in value, not that they were cheap even prior, but the investment potential just isnt there and others are looking at other books for that payday. If you are a collector, buy it keep it and upgrade when you ever get the chance. They do get tougher in higher grades. Again both are common as dirt in the low end.

Ya, if anything X-men 1 should be much higher but easy book to get compared to most other Marvel super-keys. I personally think X-men 1 is just as important as AF 15, as it gave birth to nearly half the Marvel Universe, but will never be in the same league as AF 15 value wise.

This seems very strange to me as The Avengers movies (And the future looks very bright as well as there are more and more movies that will be released) have done very well and they have become one of the favorite super hero teams of all time.

Avengers 1 experienced a huge run up already. If it kept growing at the same rates that it grew at leading up to the first Avengers movie, its prices would be at AF 15 levels now.

It hasn`t passed B&B 28 because Avengers 1s are a zillion times easier to find than B&B 28s.

Yes, it had its spike a few years ago - prices more or less trebled.

It seems to have stabilized in price for now but can't help but feel it's a great time to buy a copy of Avengers #1 as the prices aren't surging right now.

I'm also guessing we can expect at least 2 more movies out of this title and continuing to grow fan base with great long term staying power for this "holy grail" type book for most.

There are also millions of comic collectors out there and most all would love to have a copy of Avengers #1 so the demand will always be there IMO.

Zig when everyone else zags is the expression i've heard before and couldn't agree more that now is a great time to buy both Avengers and X-men as both are giant books that are as cheap as you might ever find them.

Agree that it's a good time to buy both Avengers 1 and X-Men 1 as both books are still relatively affordable especially in lower grades. I bought my copies of these two in the past few years and while both are only in the 2.0-2.5 range, I'm still very happy to have them. Any future increase in price even at these grades is just a bonus for me.

I had a copy. Cover did nothing for me. I much prefer Avengers 4.

I say own both! :)

I actually like the Avengers 1 cover for the fact it has the old Iron Man armor. Only about 10 covers had that gold suit and I happen to like the cover due to that fact.

I agree, there are better covers and Av 4 is more dynamic.

Thanks yeah I am going to buy one as a fan not for the money. I will try and get a 5.0 or a 6.0 graded by CGC.

When you collect something as a fan, you buy Avengers #1-402. :popcorn:

I agree.

:)

That's two very good reasons right there.

Could someone post the census stats on Brave and the Bold 28 versus Avengers 1?

???

???

Avengers 1 - 1972 blue labels - 2806 total

BB28 - 655 blue labels - 796 total

More than 3 times the amount of AV 1 to BB28.

That's two very good reasons right there.

???

Avengers #1 total CGC graded copies shows: 2,806

Brave and the Bold #28 CGC graded copies shows: 796

Love your copy of BB 28.

Any chance you could post a bigger scan? (shrug)

interesting thread topic - link with bigger scans

Brave%20And%20The%20Bold%2028%20Front_zpsjisn8heb.jpg

Original quote for posterity.

I find it hard to appreciate other members comics in their signature lines since most of the time the images are blurry or something else takes away from the true beauty of these gems. So show them in larger format!!

For me:

X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 White Pages

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 6.5

Hulk #1 CGC 4.5

Brave and the Bold 28 CGC 6.0

Journey Into the Mystery #15 CGC 6.0

Tales To Astonish CGC 4.5

X-Men%201%20CGC%209.2%20Front_zpsmy0ecpia.jpg

Amazing%20Fantasy%2015%20CGC%206.5%20Front_zpsmxnmliga.jpg

Hulk%201%20CGC%204.5%20Front_zpsss8tybd5.jpg

Brave%20And%20The%20Bold%2028%20Front_zpsjisn8heb.jpg

Journey%20Into%20Mystery%2083%20CGC%206.0%20Front%20Image_zpsi40qod6q.jpg

RAD7D23120151211_113331_zps7tp5wtzo.jpg

???

Avengers 1 - 1972 blue labels - 2806 total

BB28 - 655 blue labels - 796 total

More than 3 times the amount of AV 1 to BB28.

High grade copies (8.0 and above):

Avengers 1 - 190 (58 in 9.0 and above)

X-men 1 - 233 (67 in 9.0 and above)

Brave and the Bold 28 - 51 (13 in 9.0 and above)

Those are just the slabbed copies at CGC. I have seen hundreds of both Avengers 1 and X-men 1 raw in market. Very few Brave and the Bold 28 raw.

Quick eBay check:

X-men 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Avengers 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Brave and the Bold 28 - ~29 copies for sale on eBay (a few coverless)